Transfer ORY-CDG 3h15 for a flight to PVG

Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
Question Transfer ORY-CDG 3h15 for a flight to PVG

Hello everyone,

I have recently changed my flight (AF in J) of date and just saw that the first leg MPL-CDG is now MPL-ORY with the same next leg CDG-PVG.
Between these 2 flights I have 3h15min to do the transfer. They tell me I can make it with "le bus direct" but I have doubts on that so I have 3 options:
- take le bus direct for 21 (and blame them if I don't make it)
- take a taxi (I found Sixt for 60)
- change to CDG the first leg for 300.
What should I do?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Yes you can clearly make it in 3h15 with the bus. But there’s something unclear in your story : did you book MPL-ORY or did you book CDG and AF changed it to ORY ?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your answer.
I booked MPL-CDG for the 1st of february.
Then I changed i to the 3rd and the flight shown on the website was MPL-ORY (but I only saw MPL-Paris, I didn't pay much attention to that until today).
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
What time of day and will you have checked bags?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:59 am
Original Poster

I arrive at 10:20am, on a saturday, at ORY and I have 2 checked bags
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:05 am

Being a weekend is in your favor, but having checked bags makes me a little nervous.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I assume that this is on two separate tickets, otherwise it seems a bit strange that you could select ORY as transit point.
But that should be a safe connection.
Saturday in 3 February is not a traffic busy day.
Lebus direct normally runs every 20 minutes and takes between 60 and 90 minutes. Let's say 70 on your day so that's a maximum of 70+20= 90.
Let's further assume that it takes you 30 min to get your luggage and find the bus stop (very conservative estimate), that's a total of 2 hours. You might do it in 30 min less if you are lucky
That leaves you 1h15 to do the check in for the PVG flight.

the risk is a snow storm in Paris.
Taking a cab (I suggest Uber over Sixt) might cut the waiting time, but not much of the driving time. You might gain 20 min or so at most.

AF7689 seem svery punctual, so I would not worry too much.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your informations brunos.
I think I will go for le bus direct then.

Originally Posted by brunos
I assume that this is on two separate tickets, otherwise it seems a bit strange that you could select ORY as transit point.
It is actually on the same reservation, and when I did the change of date on the website, I couldn't clearly see the difference of airport.
Air France told me that if they sell these kind of tickets on one reservation, it's because it's possible to make it.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:42 am

That leaves you 1h15 to do the check in for the PVG flight.
It only leaves 15 minutes to do checkin as checkin deadline with bags is 60 minutes prior to flight.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume that you already paid a change fee when you moved from 1 to 3 February. Would be a bot silly to pay anothe one. I doubt that AF would bulge as this is a legal connection.
Frankly, it is a safe one if you do a bit of research and know where to catch the bus. Personally, I would prefer a taxi to save a few minutes, but it is sometimes difficult to meet the taxi. If you are lucky, your bags quickly delivered, the bus just shows up when you arrive, you can make it with plenty of time.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would not have done it on separate tickets but (unless it is absolutely vital for you to get on that PVG flight), I would risk on a single ticket and let them sort out the reroute things take an unwelcome turn (it is AF's responsibility to reroute you if you are on a through-ticket).

On the day, I would play it by ear:
1) If I am not mistaken, From MPL, I think that the CDG flights leave after the ORY flights for connection to the PVG flights. So, if it looks like the ORY flight is going to be delayed, I would ask AF whether I could be transferred onto the MPL flight pointing out the fact that I am going to miss the connection otherwise.
2) If it looks like it is going to be OK but the flight nonetheless gets somewhat delayed, I would consider getting a taxi from ORY to CDG.
3) If the MPL flight is more or less on time and there is no undue delay for baggage delivery, then I would take the bus.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
AF does apparently sell airport transfer tickets within PAR (as it seems does BA within LON with connections between LHR, LGW and LCY).

When I was checking in for my PRG-CDG-AMS flight yesterday, on the next counter over there was a very confused young man who was just told he had to change to ORY from CDG. I think he travelled to MRS if I got it correctly, which would put his connection time at 3 hours.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
I would not have done it on separate tickets but (unless it is absolutely vital for you to get on that PVG flight), I would risk on a single ticket and let them sort out the reroute things take an unwelcome turn (it is AF's responsibility to reroute you if you are on a through-ticket).

On the day, I would play it by ear:
1) If I am not mistaken, From MPL, I think that the CDG flights leave after the ORY flights for connection to the PVG flights. So, if it looks like the ORY flight is going to be delayed, I would ask AF whether I could be transferred onto the MPL flight pointing out the fact that I am going to miss the connection otherwise.
2) If it looks like it is going to be OK but the flight nonetheless gets somewhat delayed, I would consider getting a taxi from ORY to CDG.
3) If the MPL flight is more or less on time and there is no undue delay for baggage delivery, then I would take the bus.
I fully second this very sensible recommendation.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
AF does apparently sell airport transfer tickets within PAR.
Yes, they do sell single tickets connection involving an airport change ORY-CDG. But of course, it's always better to avoid that whenever possible. But several domestic stations have flights only to ORY (e.g. UIP, LAI, LRT, RDZ, Castres, Prigueux, Agen, Bergerac, BVE, PGF, etc...TLN but TLN will get CDG service soon), so sometimes it's unavoidable.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Yes, they do sell single tickets connection involving an airport change ORY-CDG. But of course, it's always better to avoid that whenever possible. But several domestic stations have flights only to ORY (e.g. UIP, LAI, LRT, RDZ, Castres, Prigueux, Agen, Bergerac, BVE, PGF, etc...TLN but TLN will get CDG service soon), so sometimes it's unavoidable.
Yes, I saw that too. Two flights a day only but let us not look this gift horse in the mouth. As you say, AF does offer plenty of connection that involve an ORY-CDG transfer but you are right that the time-consuming transfer from ORY to CDG is a pain in the proverbial so I have tended to use MRS rather than TLN even though TLN is nearer to my final destination in the area. I might start to use TLN now thanks to the CDG flights.
Goldorak likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.