Do I need to take the train from Brussels?

Old Jan 9, 18, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Do I need to take the train from Brussels?

I was just looking at some prices for La Premiere to New York and saw I could book BRU-CDG-DCA-NYC for a nice saving. The BRU-CDG leg is by train. Obviously, if I was using a feeder flight from somewhere they would see if I hadn't taken that flight and I'd lose the subsequent legs, but is that the same with the train? Surely there is no info transfer to say I had (or hadn't) actually taken the train.

(I assume I'm not the first to ask this but search didn't bring up an answer).
Old Jan 9, 18, 12:49 pm

Yes, you must take the train if there are any following flight segments. And yes this has been asked many times before.
Old Jan 9, 18, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by NeverFirst View Post
Surely there is no info transfer to say I had (or hadn't) actually taken the train.
It's an Air France train, so of course they will know you didn't take the train. In this case, you would only be able to check in at the Air France desks at Brussels-Midi.

No matter who operates the train, AF and KL will always check that you took the train before allowing you to check in for your flights. If you turn up at CDG without a boarding pass and their systems indicate any doubt that you failed to collect your train ticket, then you will have to show the train ticket you arrived on, duly stamped by the on-board conductor. If you cannot do this, then your "nice saving" becomes a "nice loss".

Originally Posted by delanotre
These are the rules for BRU--CDG:

The passenger must go to the Air France agency at Brussels-Midi station (Rue de France entrance) at least 15 mins before the train departs (latest check-in time).
- The Air France agent checks him/her in through to the final destination and hands him/her the boarding cards for both the train and air legs.
- If the passenger does not go to this desk, he/she cannot board the train (he/she will be deemed to be in breach of the regulations by the ticket inspector on the train) and cannot be checked in on his/her continuation flight: his/her ticket will no longer be valid.
- The passenger must take care of his/her own baggage: on arriving at Paris-CDG, he/she collects this on leaving the train and goes to the terminal for his/her continuation flight, where he/she leaves the baggage at the “baggage drop-off” counter.
Old Jan 9, 18, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by NeverFirst View Post
I assume I'm not the first to ask this but search didn't bring up an answer.
Indeed, tons of threads/posts on the same subjects (at least once a week) !
Old Jan 9, 18, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
It's an Air France train, so of course they will know you didn't take the train. In this case, you would only be able to check in at the Air France desks at Brussels-Midi.
That makes sense if they’re connected, thanks - I didn’t realise you had to check in with AF at Brussels, it sounded like it was just an “add-on”.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: