Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A passenger in the cockpit during takeoff and landing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
I think Israel does not allow visitors in the cockpit of any flight to/from its territory...
Maybe its true by law, but I have had a friend who worked for an Israeli airline who was allowed in the cockpit for landing in the US since he knew the flight crew.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by kyanar
Not Qantas? The world's safest airline, with no jet fatalities since they started operation?
There are many other airlines that have never had a "jet fatality", many of whom also had fewer "prop fatalities"; others who have never had a single fatality. Not clear why Qantas deserves topbilling as the "safest" in this rather qualified category. (Perhaps we could qualify it further: safest airline in the Southern Hemisphere? )
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: FB Plat
KLM doesn't allow anybody in the cockpit during take-off, flight, and landing. At least I have been told that on a AMS->ORD flight we got upgraded to Business.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz
KLM doesn't allow anybody in the cockpit during take-off, flight, and landing. At least I have been told that on a AMS->ORD flight we got upgraded to Business.
They sure do and even have special lanyards with a 'cockpit permit'.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
actually, on an Amsterdam shorthaul flight I have witnessed a passenger enter the pit in the same scenario as mentioned by the OP.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: FB Plat
I guess we got a polite no, then. Thank you for your answers - not much loss.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Don't worry about it. Most probably a relative of one of the cockpit crew. And as others said, perfectly within the rules and deemed acceptable by the authorities.

Next time you're the only one in business ask the purser if you could join the crew in the cockpit for take off or landing (or better yet, the captain if he pops out during the flight). Crews are generally much more open to such request when coming from somebody in business class, and if accepted, I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience
It happened to me last year when take off was delayed due to luggage loads, I was in business class and chatted a bit with the captain. He comes back a few minutes later telling me he saw I was one of their best customers (platinum for life and platinum seem to be differentiated on their ipad) and since it was his birthday, he would be glad that I join them for the flight in the cockpit. It was an excellent flight
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
But I’ll bet good money that wasn’t on a flight to or from the US.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
Indeed, it was a flight within Europe. For long haul, I am not sure I would appreciate to sit 12 hours in the cockpit compared to a business class seat. In Europe however, it makes no doubt that the jump seat is more comfortable than the "business class" seat.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Finnair Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, National EE
I may or may not have been to the cockpit in flight on an A380 (my first A380) from IAD to CDG... I was allowed to take photos as long as I didn't post them anywhere.

Granted, it wasn't during take-off or landing; they were just preparing for descent, roughly over JER...

Nice of them; I had only asked if I could see the cockpit after landing!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:39 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
They sure do and even have special lanyards with a 'cockpit permit'.
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
actually, on an Amsterdam shorthaul flight I have witnessed a passenger enter the pit in the same scenario as mentioned by the OP.
I can confirm by personal experience that, at KLM, this is still at the captain discretion in practice.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I can confirm by personal experience that, at KLM, this is still at the captain discretion in practice.
As well it should be.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Concerto
Why not?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL

Why not?

Because FAA. While they're not regulators of the KLM home country, they still have a say about flight to from or over the US.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:19 am

Why not?
Because I would not abandon my full flat business class seat for 12 hours in the cockpit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.