Wiki Posts
Search

AF Schedule Change Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Klems
Hah, that's the opposite of my experience . But we probably have very different patterns - and I'm not flying nearly as much as you do.

Despite being French, I've been based in the US for a while now and I can't even remember last time I had a schedule change in advance on DL, AA or Jetblue. I fly AF when I go back to France, which is on average 3 to 4 roundtrips a year (+ the odd random intra Europe trip), and for the past 3 roundtrips I got a schedule change on one of the flights. I usually book quite some time in advance, though (at least 3 months).

So maybe my statement was a little "exaggerated" when I said often, because I don't fly them often per se, but proportionally to my flying with AF, it is indeed often .
That is really strange.
it seems that the almost-unanimous experience is that US airlines are very flexible in frequently adjusting their routing/schedule frequently, including in the near future. That explains why they are also flexible in allowing ticket changes.
Like other European airlines, AF does it very infrequently and usually well in advance (of course near-term changes can happen in case of unforeseen events like repairs to ac taken off rotation. I am thinking BA and 787s)
All statisticians would say that testing a theory on a sample size of one is not significant.

Last edited by brunos; Jan 12, 2018 at 7:43 pm
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:28 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I have had quite a few schedule changes with AF as well. Usually it is by a few minutes, sometimes a little more.

For example the AMS-CDG morning flight (KL1227 / AF8227). I wasn't always ticketed when these changes happened, but over the years they have shifted the departure time back-and-forth between 7:00AM and 7:30AM in 5 min increments.

These kind of changes can be very useful too though. They changed STD for a flight to paris by 10 minutes (earlier), meaning that leaving with an earlier flight from CDG to AMS was now possible (*just* within MCT). Even though they didnt rebook onto that automatically, they did for free after asking.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: KL Plat
The 6.15 AF1553 out of GOT has no end of last-minute schedule changes... If the previous evening's flight comes in more than about 20 minutes late (as seems to happen rather often) then the morning flight is not delayed but actually rescheduled to the original time + the previous nights delay. I'm certain it's due to the same crew running both flights needing a specified minimum rest time.

KL solve the problem by having a fresh crew ready to take the morning flight back to AMS.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:06 am

As a TA myself, I would normally ask the question of AF if they would allow to switch flights. They say yes if the same booking class is available, or would also say yes if there is a justifiable reason, like potential to miss a meeting or something. You 50 mins would be less likely to get switched unless the same booking class that you originally booked was available on the flight you want to switch on to.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by FCIan
As a TA myself, I would normally ask the question of AF if they would allow to switch flights. They say yes if the same booking class is available, or would also say yes if there is a justifiable reason, like potential to miss a meeting or something. You 50 mins would be less likely to get switched unless the same booking class that you originally booked was available on the flight you want to switch on to.
Thanks for all the helpful info!

I tried to go this route. My original booking class from OTP-CDG is "J", and right now, they're only selling "I" class. I even explained that I was willing to take the "downgrade" in class, but they refused. This is further complicated by the fact that I'm on an AF-operated flight booked in "J" fare class. My preferred flight is an AF-marketed and RO-operated flight. At the moment, again, they're only selling "I" class seats, even though J is higher on the hierarchy.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Since the affected segment is on the return, once I fly the first segment of the outbound, will AF be more likely to deal with the issue, especially since it's a schedule IRROP?
In general, if you don't make contact with the travel agent within a short time after they notify you of the change, then it is deemed that you accept the change.

Waiting months and months and months just so you can talk to AF rather than dealing directly with the agent would not seem to be a strategy that will produce the desired result.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by irishguy28
In general, if you don't make contact with the travel agent within a short time after they notify you of the change, then it is deemed that you accept the change.

Waiting months and months and months just so you can talk to AF rather than dealing directly with the agent would not seem to be a strategy that will produce the desired result.
While I recall an email about a schedule change, there was no mention of accepting the changes after a certain time has passed. While Priceline isn't the best OTA in terms of customer service, I would hope that it's better than some other lesser known companies out there.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ranskis
In the conditions of carriage of AF:

Meaning that any change in the schedule is a change in the contract of carriage and if it is not accepted by the passenger, it should give way to an involuntary refund.
That does not follow. What it implies is that this constitutes a change of schedule constitutes a breach of one of the terms of the contract. But not every breach of a term in the contract necessarily gives rise to a right to rescind the contract and therefore a refund.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:55 pm

For my IAH - CDG - FRA flight, the CDG - FRA flight was cancelled and I was rebooked on a flight 2 hours later. Has AF ever just left the second leg cancelled? Or would that cancellation/change warrant an involuntary refund?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Really ??? In hundreds and hundreds of AF flights, I think I had less than 10 schedule changes in advance with AF. While US airlines, and especially DL, spend their time changing the schedules and flight numbers on a weekly basis. So annoying.
It's happening quite often lately. I have experienced 3 involuntarily long haul rebookings with AF in the past 2 months. And not just by a few hours, but by a full day. In all cases I cancelled with full refund, and rebooked with LH on the days I originally wanted to fly on.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
How Flexible When Connection Is No Longer On Schedule?

Hi,

I am booked YVR-CDG-TPE and TPE-CDG-YVR (great fare in Premium Economy). On the return, my CDG-YVR segment no longer operates on the day I was scheduled.

Air France has changed my reservation so that my CDG-YVR has been moved up a day so that CDG-YVR actually departs well before my TPE-CDG flight lands -- that won't work, of course.

I have emailed Air France requesting they change my return to LAX since CDG-YVR no longer operates that date. Think they will accommodate that request?

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Mileage Lover
Hi,

I am booked YVR-CDG-TPE and TPE-CDG-YVR (great fare in Premium Economy). On the return, my CDG-YVR segment no longer operates on the day I was scheduled.

Air France has changed my reservation so that my CDG-YVR has been moved up a day so that CDG-YVR actually departs well before my TPE-CDG flight lands -- that won't work, of course.

I have emailed Air France requesting they change my return to LAX since CDG-YVR no longer operates that date. Think they will accommodate that request?

Thanks!
There’s certainly no risk to ask, but I am certain that the answer will be no. They should, however, be able to re-book you to YVR on your wished day of travel. You can propose them some routings if you wish (always advisable to make some searches before calling them). Now that AF flies again to SEA (so PE is available), you could request SEA. OK, not the same country as YVR, but SEA is close and can be considered as a credible alternative. Unfortunately, as you fly PE, KL and DL are not alternatives unless you want to downgrade to Y (but you may benefit from Economy Comfort).
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that TPE-CDG only operates three days a week, so that might get tough to change the return date. But if you find a date that works for you (moving both flights) AF should be able to do it.
But I wonder how is your connection in CDG as TPE-CDG, as the AF flight arrives early evening and the YVR flight departs in morning. Maybe they had put you on BR (Eva Air)??
If you wish to keep the same travel date for your CDG-YVR, you should indeed look at CDG-SEA-YVR. DL has frequent flights SEA-YVR, but few on LAX-YVR. That way you could keep PE on the TATL, if you reroute on KL or DL, there is no PE.

As Goldorak suggested, you should do a lot of research before calling AF to propose alternatives.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mileage Lover
Hi,

Thanks!
In addition to my post above, I am wondering why you chose such a long routhing.
Three airlines (AC, BR, CI) have nonstop flights between TPE and YVR (10h30 duration).
Choosing to fly via Europe doubles the flight time not counting the transfer time in CDG. Even if PE is available at a cheaper fare than Y nonstop, it is not worth it. It is just slightly better economy. Of course, if Business class was available for the price of nonstop Y, that might be a different story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.