Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-CDG A la carte meals.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
LAX-CDG A la carte meals.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the A la carte meals out of LAX? Specifically the Ocean Meal. I can't seem to find any reviews or photos online, the one AF provides is rather a small image and I'd rather have consumer thoughts anyway. My flight is leaving Jan 22 if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I personally find AF Y meals fine as they are and would not pay extra for the a la carte myself, but I remember someone telling me that the Ocean and the Lenotre (I think?) meals were actually very good.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: FB Platinum
I can't help with meals out of LAX, but I have found the a la carte meals out of CDG are a significant improvement on standard Y meals. Indeed, on one of my early AF flights in Y, I bought an alc ('Tradition') meal with miles and was served ahead of everyone else my vicinity. This caused much dismay in the crusty old French gentilhomme sat next to me. His dismay became even greater (and louder) when the FA suggested a wine from Business and brought it for me in a glass. I think that I was converted to an AF fan on that flight!

If you are flying in PE, the enhanced meal that you often get makes the price for an alc meal not worthwhile and the loss of your (very small) chance for an upgrade also disappears.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PeteM01
I can't help with meals out of LAX, but I have found the a la carte meals out of CDG are a significant improvement on standard Y meals. Indeed, on one of my early AF flights in Y, I bought an alc ('Tradition') meal with miles and was served ahead of everyone else my vicinity. This caused much dismay in the crusty old French gentilhomme sat next to me. His dismay became even greater (and louder) when the FA suggested a wine from Business and brought it for me in a glass. I think that I was converted to an AF fan on that flight!

If you are flying in PE, the enhanced meal that you often get makes the price for an alc meal not worthwhile and the loss of your (very small) chance for an upgrade also disappears.
Thanks. I am in PE actually, what do you mean you loose any chance for an upgrade if you order ALC?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by jonathanbak
Thanks. I am in PE actually, what do you mean you loose any chance for an upgrade if you order ALC?
yes. Same for any special meal ordered (vegetarian, kosher, etc)
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
A380 vs A330 Premium Economy

i posted a picture at the A330 vs A380 thread of a traditional meal out of SFO. It was significantly better than what was on the today menu.
jonathanbak and PeteM01 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
I thought the ala carte meals were only available on flights departing from CDG. Has that changed, or am I mistaken?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by arkangel
I thought the ala carte meals were only available on flights departing from CDG. Has that changed, or am I mistaken?
You were mistaken it's available from many (not all) oustastions. The full list is on the AF website.

https://www.airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/co...a_la_carte.htm
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
You were mistaken it's available from many (not all) oustastions. The full list is on the AF website.

https://www.airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/co...a_la_carte.htm
But not on flights fom CDG to India, strangely.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
But not on flights fom CDG to India, strangely.
the reason is that Indian pax are all ordering special meals so the crew cannot really handle more “special cases”. This is why the à la carte meals are also not available on other routes heavy in Indian pax.
orbitmic, PeteM01 and jonathanbak like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
I had the impression there was not a lot of difference between the PE meal and regular Y meal?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by nbevan
I had the impression there was not a lot of difference between the PE meal and regular Y meal?
The main meals are similar (identical?) but come with a nice starter. I paid for an alc meal in PE CDG-SIN once and noted that it really wasn't much different to the meals everyone else was getting. I don't bother ordering alc meals in PE now.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
I'm on a Delta marketed Air France flight CDG-IAD. Any thought on how I would order the ALC meal?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: DL Gold
I'm on AF 66 CDG-LAX (in PE) at the end of Nov.. The ticket was originally issued by AF, but due to many changes/reissues I believe it may now be considered a DL ticket. It still shows AF flight #, not the Delta codeshare on my booking. When I looked up my record on the AF site there is no option under Meals for ALC purchase. I was under the impression that within 90 days the options should be showing up. Am I incorrect?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by Asquared1
I'm on AF 66 CDG-LAX (in PE) at the end of Nov.. The ticket was originally issued by AF, but due to many changes/reissues I believe it may now be considered a DL ticket. It still shows AF flight #, not the Delta codeshare on my booking. When I looked up my record on the AF site there is no option under Meals for ALC purchase. I was under the impression that within 90 days the options should be showing up. Am I incorrect?
I guess it's 45 days as it seems to have appeared overnight. Also, judging from the way my record now looks on the DL and AF sites it's been switched back to an AF ticket. No matter, it gets me there and back either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.