A380 vs A330 Premium Economy

Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold
A380 vs A330 Premium Economy

Looking for a little advice prior to booking for flight next fall. Flying PDX-CDG. I'm planning on booking Premium Economy. I can fly PDX-SEA-CDG on an A330 to CDG or PDX-LAX-CDG on A380 to CDG. Cost is the same. SEA is a quicker domestic leg and a bit shorter overall, but I'm wary of SEA with all the weather/ATC delay issues they seem to have had there. LAX is always a zoo, but I hear that TBI is nice. Is there any difference in Seat/Experience quality between these two?

Last edited by Asquared1; Dec 30, 2017 at 10:27 am
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
Originally Posted by Asquared1
Looking for a little advice prior to booking for flight next fall. Flying PDX-CDG. I'm planning on booking Premium Economy. I can fly PDX-SEA-CDG on an A330 to CDG or PDX-LAX-CDG on A380 to CDG. Cost is the same. SEA is a quicker domestic leg and a bit shorter overall, but I'm wary of SEA with all the weather/ATC delay issues they seem to have had there. LAX is always a zoo, but I hear that TBI is nice. Is there any difference in Seat/Experience quality between these two?
LAX would get you way more miles... more MQD if your earning Sky Miles... ALSO if your someone that like window seats, I'd go with the A380 because of the side storage bin between the seat and window. In addition, theres more opportunity for a same day paid upgrade on an A380 because of the larger business class cabin. Also if 81AB or 81KL is available, I'd take those seat. Ton and ton of legroom.

The seat itself is basically the same with the same legroom... unless your in the seats I mentioned.

LAX can be a zoo BUT if you're connecting from Delta they have shuttle buses connecting Delta's 2 terminal with TBI. If you're connecting form Alaska / Virgin America, you can walk from Terminal 6 to TBI. Either way you won't have to go through security again unless you have to check in at LAX for your AF flight for some random reason. The SkyTeam / Korean Air lounge is nice at TBI but can be a bit crowded. Also the food option at TBI is amazing. T3 (Delta) has a shake shack. So yeah, I'd go with LAX.

Last edited by SkaterJasp; Dec 30, 2017 at 12:16 pm
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
Another reason to fly out of LAX on AF is you'll be able to purchase from the "A La Carte" menu ahead of time. It's basically an upgraded menu that ranges from $16 to $25 that you can have instead of what they're offering that day for the first meal. The main is a much larger portion and super tasty.

rickg523 likes this.

Last edited by SkaterJasp; Dec 30, 2017 at 12:10 pm Reason: Add attachment
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:19 pm

If you fly out of SEA, you get to ride that underground tram. Can't do that at LAX. That's all I can think of for SEA. If you're connecting from Delta, you can get a bus ride and see all the planes.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkaterJasp
Another reason to fly out of LAX on AF is you'll be able to purchase from the "A La Carte" menu ahead of time. It's basically an upgraded menu that ranges from $16 to $25 that you can have instead of what they're offering that day for the first meal. The main is a much larger portion and super tasty.

Do you know how close to departure the a la carte option can be selected? That looks worth it!
For the OP, last year I flew AF PE on the A380 out of SFO. Upstairs cabin. I was with a party of six. Not one seat was fully functional. Mine had faulty foot and leg rests and the seat has lost all its cushioning. These seats aren't that great for sleeping compared to lie-flats, but mine, without a working leg rest, was near useless. Other pax in the same cabin also complained about their seats. Possibly because the cabin was pretty shoddy, the flight crew was...let's say terse and generally unavailable. It was a lousy flight.
On the return, we flew in the small (3/4 rows) PE cabin on the 777. Equipment, crew, total experience was excellent.
I was traveling with two kids in their first long haul. After the outbound, they thought international travel was a terrible idea. "Our school bus is more comfortable!" The return flight, which they loved, saved the experience for them
That A380 was really tired.
To me, it felt like AF has made a business decision to just fly the A380 until it's done, with refurbishment only if absolutely necessary. I​​​​​ just avoid A380 flights now.
As an aside, catering out of SFO was pretty bad. Catering out of CDG was pretty good. Daily meals both ways.
Not sure if any of this pertains out of PDX or LAX. Just a data point.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Do you know how close to departure the a la carte option can be selected? That looks worth it!
I think it was 90 days prior to departure... but you can't purchase it within 24 hours of departure.

As for the A380 PE seats... they're identical to the A330. I do think the seats could use a bit more cushioning like the China Airline ones but they seem to work fine when I was on it. I'd still much rather take the PE seat over the economy seats. I haven't tried the 777 version so can't really comment.

Also that meal was on the SFO-CDG flight... my neighbor wished he got it... the catering out of SFO for the regular menu didn't look too appetizing.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it was 90 days prior to departure... but you can't purchase it within 24 hours of departure.

As for the A380 PE seats... they're identical to the A330. I do think the seats could use a bit more cushioning like the China Airline ones but they seem to work fine when I was on it. I'd still much rather take the PE seat over the economy seats. I haven't tried the 777 version so can't really comment.

Also that meal was on the SFO-CDG flight... my neighbor wished he got it... the catering out of SFO for the regular menu didn't look too appetizing.
Thanks. I'm convinced. I'll choose a la carte meals today (still 4 months out from my next SFO-CDG leg).
The seats on the 777 I flew were identical as well, but they were fully functional and the cushioning was obviously in better condition. Also, the IFE was better on the 777 - larger, brighter screen in particular.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
I flew on both 77W W seat (on a plane that was not retrofitted) and A380 W seat and found somewhat more comfort on the A380 seat on the upper deck. As for the meals, keep in mind that if you choose a'la carte meal, you will forfeit any chances to get an upgrade later.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sjondorn
I flew on both 77W W seat (on a plane that was not retrofitted) and A380 W seat and found somewhat more comfort on the A380 seat on the upper deck. As for the meals, keep in mind that if you choose a'la carte meal, you will forfeit any chances to get an upgrade later.
Yes, individual seat comfort is definitely a YMMV deal.
But, do you think AF will invest in refurbing the A380 fleet or just maintain them and fly them out? I've read the plane is far more expensive to operate than originally envisioned and not held in high regard by the finance guys.
Also, speaking of upgrades, how is the standard J meal on the SFO-CDG route?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Thanks. I'm convinced. I'll choose a la carte meals today (still 4 months out from my next SFO-CDG leg).
The seats on the 777 I flew were identical as well, but they were fully functional and the cushioning was obviously in better condition. Also, the IFE was better on the 777 - larger, brighter screen in particular.
I would wait till the 90 day mark so you know what is being offered. It'll list everything thats included and even have a picture. the picture was pretty close to what I got but the carrot had more color to it in the photo.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would wait till the 90 day mark so you know what is being offered. It'll list everything thats included and even have a picture. the picture was pretty close to what I got but the carrot had more color to it in the photo.
^
Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

On the A380 81 A and L look tempting, but a bit worried about not having a foot rest. The windows compartments seem to remediate any storage issues with not having a seat in front of you. Are the screens that come out of the arm rest as big as the ones on the seat backs?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 3:41 pm

Thanks for the info.

On the A380 81 A and L look tempting, but a bit worried about not having a foot rest. The windows compartments seem to remediate any storage issues with not having a seat in front of you. Are the screens that come out of the arm rest as big as the ones on the seat backs?
Here are some pictures from my last trip in Premium Economy. The screen is a decent size. As for foot rest, there is no foot rest, just a leg rest. I used my bag as a foot rest, just make sure its back in the bin for take off and landing.

Leg Room

Screen

Screen size compared to the meal tray. (This is the 2nd meal.. same as in Economy)
Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, those pics are exactly what I've been looking for on those seats.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:22 pm

Thanks, those pics are exactly what I've been looking for on those seats.
Your welcome!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.