AF La Premiere from IAH

Old Dec 25, 17, 11:42 pm
cfw
Original Poster

Programs: AA, LX, SPG, HHonors, MR
AF La Premiere from IAH

Hello,

I am looking to book a flight on the A380 this summer in La Premiere, but I need some ideas on how best to make it work. I am in DFW but the closest La Premiere flight is in IAH. I don't believe there are any SkyTeam flights between DFW and IAH and I don't think any of the airlines interline baggage anymore..so how could this work? Is there an easier answer than checking/re-checking bags and going through security a few times?

Thanks for your help
Old Dec 26, 17, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
The easiest will be to have your DFW-IAH flight on the same PNR. Just book with a TA or an OTA, or call AF.
Old Dec 26, 17, 4:41 am

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by cfw View Post
Hello,

I am looking to book a flight on the A380 this summer in La Premiere, but I need some ideas on how best to make it work. I am in DFW but the closest La Premiere flight is in IAH. I don't believe there are any SkyTeam flights between DFW and IAH and I don't think any of the airlines interline baggage anymore..so how could this work? Is there an easier answer than checking/re-checking bags and going through security a few times?

Thanks for your help
I'm not sure why you want to fly through IAH. If you want to fly from DFW to CDG (say) in P the standard route with Air France is through JFK - and you can get the La Premiere class in 777 which is WAY better than the A380. If you really want to try the A380 it flies as well from JFK to CDG.

Sample flights in June:
AF2112 DFW to JFK, AF23 JFK to CDG with the 777, or AF11 JFK to CDG with the A380

I know JFK is a horrible airport to transfer, but you're going to have a WAY better experience with the 777 Suite.

If you *really* want to fly P through IAH, you need to buy a full P fare - then you can mix it with a UA flight on the same ticket. However, the full P fare is going to cost you around 20k$ instead of 6k$ rt.
I would never do that, despite how much I hate transfers in JFK ;-)
orbitmic likes this.

Last edited by Andy82; Dec 26, 17 at 4:52 am
Old Dec 26, 17, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Andy82 View Post
I'm not sure why you want to fly through IAH. If you want to fly from DFW to CDG (say) in P the standard route with Air France is through JFK - and you can get the La Premiere class in 777 which is WAY better than the A380. If you really want to try the A380 it flies as well from JFK to CDG.

Sample flights in June:
AF2112 DFW to JFK, AF23 JFK to CDG with the 777, or AF11 JFK to CDG with the A380

I know JFK is a horrible airport to transfer, but you're going to have a WAY better experience with the 777 Suite.

If you *really* want to fly P through IAH, you need to buy a full P fare - then you can mix it with a UA flight on the same ticket. However, the full P fare is going to cost you around 20k$ instead of 6k$ rt.
I would never do that, despite how much I hate transfers in JFK ;-)
+1 on avoiding the IAH and non-ST routing. JFK (or any other connection airport where DL flies from DFW and where AF operates P but that might lead to counter-intuitive routings like backtracking to LAX)
Andy82 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 17, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
+1 on avoiding the IAH and non-ST routing. JFK (or any other connection airport where DL flies from DFW and where AF operates P but that might lead to counter-intuitive routings like backtracking to LAX)
Actually LAX could be a better choice since it's going to be a longer flight in First class (again, both 777 and A380 are available depending on day of week), and DL flies DFW-LAX.
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 26, 17, 5:20 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Actually LAX could be a better choice since it's going to be a longer flight in First class (again, both 777 and A380 are available depending on day of week), and DL flies DFW-LAX.
Well, it is from the point of view of 'enjoyment' and having time to sleep, but of course, it significantly lengthens the total trip which most people would not want, plus it might incur some HIP issues.
Old Dec 26, 17, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Well, it is from the point of view of 'enjoyment' and having time to sleep, but of course, it significantly lengthens the total trip which most people would not want, plus it might incur some HIP issues.
I agree - it all depends on the OP requirements, indeed. I checked Matrix and the routing through LAX is indeed possible - but (as you were implying) it triggers some 500$ additional cost one way.
Actually the flight to LAX is around 40m shorter than the one to JFK, layovers can be similar, the rest is additional ~3hrs flight in La Premiere. Not too bad.

Fare 1: Carrier AF FN1HV6F1 DFW to PAR (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code F
Covers DFW-LAX (First), LAX-CDG (First)
$2,820.60
Fare 2: Carrier AF FN1HV6F1 PAR to DFW (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code F
Covers CDG-JFK (First), JFK-DFW (First)
$2,350.50
Old Dec 26, 17, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
I am not sure when you wish to fly. But the ac is currently an A330 without P. Then it moves to a 77W with new P (much better than on A380). I also see the 77W in July.
There is no garantee on the ac type so far in advance.
But if you wish to go through IAH which is close to DFW, I don't think that you can get the attractive Premiere fare from DFW. So you will need to take the short cheap hop on another airline and recheck your bags.No fun and possibly risky, although there are so many flights DFW-IAH. All other alternatives involve a fairly long feeder flight.
Old Dec 26, 17, 9:56 am
cfw
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies! You all read my mind.

My reasoning for IAH was to avoid JFK connections, the ~4 hrs in a regional jet, and to get some extra time to sleep TATL. There is a SkyTeam feeder flight from DFW on 5D to MEX but I wasn’t sure that would be a great idea, so I was trying to make something work at IAH.

I had not looked at LAX and did not realize the 777 was a better experience, so thank you for the info there. Also did not realize full fare would be required if I book mixed carrier through AF. There are a lot of flights DFW-IAH but the brute force approach of checking and re-checking is no fun with a lot of luggage, nor is the bus ride around the airport at IAH outside of security. I guess I can call them and see if they will get me an Uber at Bush
Old Dec 28, 17, 5:01 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your help
Not sure if you specifically wanted the A380, but AF flies the 777-300er out of IAH seasonally, and is a much better product. I have done a similar thing as you described many times. My next flight on AF is in April out of IAH, short flight on United (using points), then on AF La Premiere on the 777. I wouldn't fly longer or hundreds of miles out of the way to avoid going through security one extra time. I have a also had great luck going through IAH internationally before, especially with shorter customs/immigration lines at IAH than most other gateways I have been through.

Last edited by Travlur; Dec 28, 17 at 5:07 pm
Old Dec 28, 17, 10:23 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
There is no bus around IAH. There is an elevated train/tram post-security/airside that serves all terminals running A-B-C-D/E. There is a subway train/tram pre-security/landside that runs from A-B-Marriot-C-D/E.

Air France checks in at D, where all non-UA int'l flag carriers depart (save Canadians in A). From DFW to IAH you can take either AA or UA non-stop and flights are under $100 one-way starting everyday from February onward. You have ~20 flights a day to choose from. AA will drop you in terminal A, if you have bags pick them up at A, go down one level and take subway 10 minutes to D/E and check-in for AF, pass security, chill in lounge :-) If you take UA you could be dropped in any terminal from A-E but the same applies; you would pick up your bags (UA bag claims are all in B or C even if you arrive domestic in A or E), take the subway tram to D, check-in, security, lounge :-)

If not on the same PNR, give yourself a bit of a cushion. I'd say 2.5-3hrs between flights. If everything is ontime you get a lot more lounge time. The 777 out of IAH is a nice ride on AF.
Travlur likes this.

Last edited by FlyingHoustonian; Dec 30, 17 at 12:01 am
Old Jan 1, 18, 2:05 pm
cfw
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian View Post
AA will drop you in terminal A, if you have bags pick them up at A, go down one level and take subway 10 minutes to D/E and check-in for AF, pass security, chill in lounge :-)
Thanks for the local insight and good tips. What lounge do they use at IAH? Is it the KLM Crown Lounge in Terminal D?

On a side note, it looks like you can make MIA an unofficial transfer point also (for the winter), and IAH in the summer. For me, both have lots of mainline AA flights from DFW.
Old Jan 1, 18, 9:23 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
Air France has its own lounge in D, which is near the KLM lounge. If you do not check bags the skyway tram takes just under five minutes from A to D\E. With bags post AA retrieval the presecurity subway takes about 10 mins to D\E. Both are easy enough. Good luck, bonne chance!
Old Jan 3, 18, 11:07 pm
cfw
Original Poster

Still doing some comparison shopping. DL 5780 gets into LAX at 2:45PM, but AF 065 leaves at either 3:30PM or 4:30PM depending on the month. DL website claims "100% ontime" for 5780. How long of a connection do I need? Only earlier flight leaves DFW at 6am...
Old Jan 4, 18, 12:14 am

Still doing some comparison shopping. DL 5780 gets into LAX at 2:45PM, but AF 065 leaves at either 3:30PM or 4:30PM depending on the month. DL website claims "100% ontime" for 5780. How long of a connection do I need? Only earlier flight leaves DFW at 6am...
That is an awful connection time if legal at all (probably not in the 15.30 case). DL and AF operate from different terminals at LAX. 16.30 might be doable but really only go for it if on a through ticket, not separate bookings as you'd risk being a no show if your DL flight was late. Instead of the boring 6am departure, how about using life's lemons to make lemonade, going the day before and spending an enjoyable 24 hours in LA? Lots of nice places near the airport!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: