Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France Upgrade to Business Class at Check-In

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Goldorak
indeed this is decent for such a long flight. It doesn’t correspond to a fare difference and so, IMO, it fits well in the concept of discounted paid upgrade on DoD.
Right. But why don't I get such offers? I NEVER get these offers during OLCI, I have to ask for them at the airport desk.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by olivedel
Right. But why don't I get such offers? I NEVER get these offers during OLCI, I have to ask for them at the airport desk.
No idea my friend !
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carnarvon
Not surprising though.
Remember AF corporate culture about upgrades which AF hates (other than for F&F).
The motto was "if we upgrade pax, they will stop buying biz class".
​​​​Management has tried to impose paid upgrades to the "system" which has revolted is now back to its old self: de facto no upgrades.
A bit like antibodies fighting an infection.

I was in fact talking with a FA at AF. She was saying that the biz class cabin was now always full as AF was selling cheap upgrades as well as with miles in the cabin. She mentioned that "real" upgrades (that is to say for free) were now almost impossible. It means that F&F would have a hard time, which the system would certainly not tolerate long.
Well, if this is correct, this would be a vindication of AF's strategy: AF is filling its cabins with people who actually pay for it rather than giving it away for free while at the same time, in the light of Goldorak's post, discouraging people to strategically book in a lower cabin than they intend to travel with a view to upgrading.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I am a recent victim of the new dynamic pricing for day of departure upgrades, being quoted a whooping €369 for a miserable 1.20h flight from CDG to BCN.
I paid €423 for a Y to J upgrade last time from YUL to CDG (night flight) with Goldorak!
Ridiculous...

Upgrade price from CDG to BCN (Y to J) on 11/17/2017

Upgrade price from YUL to CDG (Y to J) on 05/29/2016
abusive price for the CDG to BCN route. I have often seen it at 79 which feels more reasonable.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Same here...
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
If they automatically send you your boarding passes to your email or phone you need to go back into online check in as if starting afresh, if you’re looking for an upgrade offer. I did that for tomorrow’s flight to Madrid and got offered EUR89 which I thought was a good deal. Before the flight I have a layover longer than 2 hours in CDG Terminal F, so it will be nice having the lounge access. Priority Pass is a disaster in CDG if you’re flying AF. It’s a disaster anyway, with crappy lounges.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
That is precisely the problem: for non status holders, this kind of upgrade can make sense for lounge access, sky priority, comfort etc. if it is reasonably priced. However they tend to propose these upgrades at a higher price to status holders who already have all the ground benefits thanks to their status.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ranskis
That is precisely the problem: for non status holders, this kind of upgrade can make sense for lounge access, sky priority, comfort etc. if it is reasonably priced. However they tend to propose these upgrades at a higher price to status holders who already have all the ground benefits thanks to their status.
As noted by others upstream, it might be a problem, or rather a frustration, for status holders, but it is an understandable policy from AF viewpoint. They want to incentivise infrequent AF pax to discover their premium product while “pushing” status holders to buy premium if they want to fly premium.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by NickB
(...) discouraging people to strategically book in a lower cabin than they intend to travel with a view to upgrading.
Do you mean that there is a pool of people, large enough to justify antagonising AF's most FF that:

- want to fly biz
- can afford to pay for biz
- but book Y instead, risking flying in Y betting on a possible upgrade?

Who are those people?

Who will take this risk if they can afford biz? How many are there around?

What is strategic in ending up flying Y if you want to fly biz and can afford biz?
wuzziduzziman likes this.

Last edited by carnarvon; Feb 23, 2018 at 4:37 am
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I didn’t book with the intention of betting on a cheap upgrade. In fact, on short haul, I will stay back in Y from now on. As a reminder, I upgraded my BSL-CDG-MAD trip (CDG-MAD only) and it got me lounge access in both BSL (excellent Skyview lounge) and CDG. But the Madrid flight was awful, purely awful. There is no product whatsoever, just economy class service from about 10 years ago. It is not so long ago that economy got a hot meal on this route, if 12 years is not counted as too long ago.

A very limp and small collection of three prawns, sad tiny pickled salad, a mini canapé and miniature slice of cake constituted the service. If I can work out how to post the picture I took on the iPhone I will put it here. The purser agreed that the service was subpar and said that one reason was because cabin crew numbers have been reduced. We had quite a long talk about it anyway. Makes British Airways look amazing, and that is an achievement, I can tell you.

Two more points: the purser could very clearly see that I bought a last minute upgrade, and, I got business class miles for it, 1,500 plus 50% silver bonus.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Have anyone gotten an upgrade offer from JFK lately? Flying JFK-CDG-ARN in early April. It was originally booked as a Flying Blue award but due to a schedule change, I was rebooked to Air France in a revenue booking class Y. When viewing the booking online I'm given the option to upgrade with miles, but I get an error message since presumably there's no award availability to upgrade into.

Do Air France usually offer cash upgrades from JFK and does the cost of the upgrade vary depending on booking class? I'm flying on the A380 so it has the old Business Class, not sure if it's worth the money for a 7 hour flight, but it would be nice to try out for the food and service.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by LH4116
Have anyone gotten an upgrade offer from JFK lately? Flying JFK-CDG-ARN in early April. It was originally booked as a Flying Blue award but due to a schedule change, I was rebooked to Air France in a revenue booking class Y. When viewing the booking online I'm given the option to upgrade with miles, but I get an error message since presumably there's no award availability to upgrade into.

Do Air France usually offer cash upgrades from JFK and does the cost of the upgrade vary depending on booking class? I'm flying on the A380 so it has the old Business Class, not sure if it's worth the money for a 7 hour flight, but it would be nice to try out for the food and service.
yes they do. Last October, I was proposed something like €1300 from Y to J
Whatever the plane and seat type, J is always wayyyy better than Y. This being said, this is all a question of price. 1300€, whatever it is the new or the old seat is a utter non-sense for a DoD paid upgrade.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you mean that there is a pool of people, large enough to justify antagonising AF's most FF that:

- want to fly biz
- can afford to pay for biz
- but book Y instead, risking flying in Y betting on a possible upgrade?

Who are those people?

Who will take this risk if they can afford biz? How many are there around?

What is strategic in ending up flying Y if you want to fly biz and can afford biz?
It seems to me that you think in very black and white terms with not much room for shades of grey. In your view, it is simple: if somebody wants to fly in business and can afford it, they will buy a business class ticket, period. The only reason why would buy an economy ticket is either because one cannot afford it or one does not want to fly economy.

It seems to me that real world situations allow for more shades of grey. There are situations where one will hesitate between buying an economy and a business class ticket. I have certainly been in situations of that kind many times, asking myself whether it was really worth going for a business class ticket. In those situations, the likelihood of a cheap upgrade at a cost much lower than purchasing the ticket in the first place would certainly be a relevant consideration as to whether or not to go for the business class ticket even in the absence of an absolute certainty of being offered such an upgrade.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Are you telling me that if you are certain NOT to be offered a business upgrade at reasonable price, you will buy the business class seat at high price straightaway ?

Strange...

Long haul is always way better in biz. So if you can afford it, why risk flying Y?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you telling me that if you are certain NOT to be offered a business upgrade at reasonable price, you will buy the business class seat at high price straightaway ?

Strange...
let us not forget that, ex hypothesi, we are in a situation where I the price of the business class ticket is likely to be regarded by the buyer as "reasonable" or "acceptable" rather than "high". If the passenger thinks that the price of the business ticket is a "high price" , then they will not in all likelihood not buy it, period. The situation I am suggesting is a different one: I regard the price of the ticket as acceptable/reasonable and it is therefore at a price where I might consider buying it. Now, if I know that there is no meaningful likelihood of a cheap upgrade, then I may well end up buying this reasonably priced business class ticket. If, OTOH, there is a very high chance of a cheap upgrade, I think that I would be more likely to buy economy as long as economy class travel is entirely acceptable to me.

I do not think that there is anything particularly strange about it: I prefer flying business but my preference is not so high that I would disregard comparative value.

Long haul is always way better in biz. So if you can afford it, why risk flying Y?
I thought that we were talking about both short/medium-haul and long-haul. But anyway, the premise of your view is that people will always go for what they regard as better as long as they can afford it. I don't think that this is correct. People who can afford J will sometimes .not go for it because they think that it is not good value compared to Y. The same principle goes in comparing J to Y with likelihood of upgrade. Let us make an extreme and completely unrealistic example to make the point: let us imagine that, for a given long-haul flight, you can either buy a business class ticket for £2500 or an economy one for £400 with a 95% chance of upgrade for £150. Even if one can afford the £2500 ticket, I do not think that it would be irrational to go for the £400 ticket in that situation. Now, you may want to object that the situation is unrealistic as you would not get such a high likelihood+low cost of upgrade. I would agree with the objection but, if you accept that it would be rational for an individual who can afford the £2500 ticket to go for the economy ticket, then you accept that value can take priority over comfort. It then becomes a question of how far we turn the price and likelihood of upgrade dials for the position to be reversed.
The more you value business class over economy and the more risk averse you are, the quicker the position will be reversed. But everybody will have their own personal comfort premium/risk aversion ratio. You simply cannot assume that everybody values business class so much that, as long as they can afford it, they will go for it everytime.
bodory, Fabo.sk and Maestro Ramen like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.