Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meals in J - short haul

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Silver, Executive Club Blue, Miles & More, Priority Club Gold, Skywards Blue
Smile Meals in J - short haul

Hi all,
Flying on AF in January from LHR to JFK via CDG on AF 1681 and AF6.
The first flight leaves LHR at 0940, what kind of meal, if any, can we expect ?
Same on the way back, we will be on AF1680 from CDG to LHR but it will be even earlier.
Looking forward to your replies.
Many thanks !
Julien
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:19 am

There you go...
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Silver, Executive Club Blue, Miles & More, Priority Club Gold, Skywards Blue
Originally Posted by Ditto

There you go...
Thanks a lot Ditto, looks better and bigger than what I was expecting on such a short flight.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:23 am

Sorry for hijacking that thread, just didn't want to start a new one.

Was in AF lounge in 2F yesterday and was lucky to get invited to "degustation" of new AF short-haul J menu. Appreciated their effort to improve catering on shorted segments (the ones I've tried are to be introduced to short services like to AMS, GVA, ZRH etc.). To be fair, their current offering is already not that bad for such short flights, but rotation of menus would be much appreciated. Tried smoked salmon, quinoa and pear salad along with some small deserts. Unfortunately didn't take any photos, but asking your customers' opinion was a nice thing.
On the other note, spotted some better varieties in lounge food compared to my previous visit a few months ago (switched quite a lot of my travelings to OW recently, hence not frequenting the lounge very often anymore) - shrimps, smoked chicken cuts and a few nice salad and desert options were available around noon. If this is to stay, it's quite a nice development, since to my surprise AF european lounge was one of the worst among home bases of major european airlines. Addition of showers and extra toilets after lounge renewal is great to. Pity that the lounge is still too small when everyone and their dog is an elite.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: FB Plat
Thank you for reporting this
On the other note, spotted some better varieties in lounge food compared to my previous visit a few months ago (switched quite a lot of my travelings to OW recently, hence not frequenting the lounge very often anymore) - shrimps, smoked chicken cuts and a few nice salad and desert options were available around noon. If this is to stay, it's quite a nice development, since to my surprise AF european lounge was one of the worst among home bases of major european airlines. Addition of showers and extra toilets after lounge renewal is great to. Pity that the lounge is still too small when everyone and their dog is an elite.
I may have bad memory, I believe that I always had that at CDG 2F lounges.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz
Thank you for reporting this

I may have bad memory, I believe that I always had that at CDG 2F lounges.
Originally Posted by maxvor
Sorry for hijacking that thread, just didn't want to start a new one.

Was in AF lounge in 2F yesterday and was lucky to get invited to "degustation" of new AF short-haul J menu. Appreciated their effort to improve catering on shorted segments (the ones I've tried are to be introduced to short services like to AMS, GVA, ZRH etc.). To be fair, their current offering is already not that bad for such short flights, but rotation of menus would be much appreciated. Tried smoked salmon, quinoa and pear salad along with some small deserts. Unfortunately didn't take any photos, but asking your customers' opinion was a nice thing.
The food offering is not new. It's like that for about 2 or 3 years. Products are changing sometimes and are of quite good quality.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
The food offering is not new. It's like that for about 2 or 3 years. Products are changing sometimes and are of quite good quality.
Well, in all my previos 5 visits this year the only food that was available was cheese cubes, meat cuts, fruit salad and a small selection of vegetables. Maybe i was just unlucky always to be there when they ran out of shrimps, salads and decent dessert options
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
My recent flight with AF. The food is a usual joke. Though i took the chocolate crepes home

14 December CPH-CDG 09:45 am flight
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the further comments. Interesting indeed and I'm looking forward to experience it by myself. We will be on the A380 flight to New York afterwards so I'm sure the food service will be even better then.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by maxvor
Well, in all my previos 5 visits this year the only food that was available was cheese cubes, meat cuts, fruit salad and a small selection of vegetables. Maybe i was just unlucky always to be there when they ran out of shrimps, salads and decent dessert options
For years, there has been 'proper' cold food in 2F (salads, cold cuts, cheese platter, savoury cakes or quiches, etc) at lunch and dinner time and a minimal assortment (cheese, ham, yoghurts, fruit salad cups etc) in between meal times. So your previously experienced food is still around, and what you got this time was already there, just at different times. At least the change between 'on' and 'off' times is a bit less radical than in BA's club lounges (which do better at meal times but worse outside of them)!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Keter
My recent flight with AF. The food is a usual joke. Though i took the chocolate crepes home
Joke compared to what airline though? On flights of that distance, LH would give you about the same, LX, SK, KL, and AY (a little to a lot) less, on BA you would have only that sandwich though warm OR the tiniest ever salad (think three super thin slivers of chicken over a few undressed salad leaves), and of course, the major US airlines would give you meal at all!

Sure there are a few exception like IB, TK, and OS which would do better but they are the exception rather than the rule.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
I do not compare to the competition. I compare to my idea of proper meal service.

And AY is different from what i can see here Finnair Shorthaul Business Class Food

And currnet SU menu is here: https://www.aeroflot.ru/xx-en/flight/exquisite_food
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:51 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Sure there are a few exception like IB, TK, and OS which would do better but they are the exception rather than the rule.
And I would add Aegean as well

Same meal type/size for any flight over 1 hr.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
And I would add Aegean as well

Same meal type/size for any flight over 1 hr.
Fully agree on A3
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Keter
I do not compare to the competition. I compare to my idea of proper meal service.

And AY is different from what i can see here Finnair Shorthaul Business Class Food

And currnet SU menu is here: https://www.aeroflot.ru/xx-en/flight/exquisite_food
SU has good C food too indeed. AY has multiple bands - the equivalent timing of CDG-CPH is what you see for the HEL-OSL. AY even has a shorter band for flights operated by Flybe where you merely get a (not very good) sandwich. The food in much pictures is for the longer flights over 2 hours, but AF also sees that as a separate band and has full hot meals on those which are very good.

Fair enough about your not wanting to compare to competition and having your own standards, but for what it's worth, benchmarking against competition is exactly what airlines do and for obvious reasons. The most extreme case I can think of are LX who will serve different food levels on flights of the same length in a way that obviously seems to respond to competition. Others are not that literal but still seem to understand what they need to offer to be on par or slightly better than their rivals and offer as little above and beyond that as possible in view of increasingly tight margins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.