Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France Long Haul Economy service vs Delta

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Curiosity; how do you define quality of entertainment?
I love about AirFrance that they have a wide variety of films, also smaller artsy European films and not just 75 recent hollywood blockbusters. On my last flight in AF I watched two great French films, I will bet millions that I would never have found these on KL or DL.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by caliform
I found both AF's economy and business services lacking in food and general soft product quality; DL is doing a lot of work to make theirs better. It'd be great if KL and AF would learn.
I found out that DL offers way more content, but mostly English-only, or VO with English subtitles. With less languages to handle, you have more space for additionnal movies!
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by Goldorak
You say that DL serves 3 meals in Y ? Unless this is something recent, I don't think they serve 3 meals on Europe-US flights. And who needs 3 meals in a 7-8 hrs period ?
On certain Europe-US flights over a specific flight time or mileage threshold (e.g., I think ZRH-JFK gets it but FRA-JFK doesn't), DL has 3 services during the flight. The first is lunch and full beverages (with 3 choices for the main course, btw, more than most Euro carriers, one of which is a cold chicken or steak salad), the mid-flight is a snack box (variations of cheese and crackers, cookies, nuts, etc) and full beverage service again, and then the normal pre-arrival hot sandwich with ice-cream, and another full beverage service. Large water bottles are also distributed to each passenger after the first meal service. I believe they have also added menus in Y recently, and as mentioned, will be upgrading the cutlery to real silverware soon...

Here's a video of a Swiss passenger's Y experience on Delta between ZRH and JFK this past fall. It's a rather long video but you can catch some of the inflight elements at
6:40 first beverage service with snack
6:52 first meal service with beverages
8:27 mid-flight snack with beverages
9:26 pre-arrival snack with beverages
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
This is impressive for such a short flight.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:26 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
On certain Europe-US flights over a specific flight time or mileage threshold (e.g., I think ZRH-JFK gets it but FRA-JFK doesn't), DL has 3 services during the flight. The first is lunch and full beverages (with 3 choices for the main course, btw, more than most Euro carriers, one of which is a cold chicken or steak salad), the mid-flight is a snack box (variations of cheese and crackers, cookies, nuts, etc) and full beverage service again, and then the normal pre-arrival hot sandwich with ice-cream, and another full beverage service. Large water bottles are also distributed to each passenger after the first meal service. I believe they have also added menus in Y recently, and as mentioned, will be upgrading the cutlery to real silverware soon...

Here's a video of a Swiss passenger's Y experience on Delta between ZRH and JFK this past fall. It's a rather long video but you can catch some of the inflight elements at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9T_8jNW8Wc&t=453s
Thanks for this. I'm surprised and impressed.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9T_8jNW8Wc&t=453s
Thanks for sharing the video. Not bad indeed.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:27 pm

There were indeed menus in our seats on our recent BRU-JFK flight, however the cutlery was (still) plastic.

Personally I feel the number of services is irrelevant if one or more of them are inedible. That hot sandwich in the video looks like the same brand AC serves and I've wanted to spit those out whenever I was (involuntarily) flying AC.
As mentioned before we were pleased with the DL flight and the beverage services, the hot meal, and the ice cream were indeed good, but the (cold) sandwich was inedible. We weren't complaining because the first meal was filling, but I still prefer quality of quantity.

Does AF still have snacks in the "mini bar" area? If so, then there's nothing stopping you from compiling mid-flight snack box yourself.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:01 pm
tff

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
Does AF still have snacks in the "mini bar" area? If so, then there's nothing stopping you from compiling mid-flight snack box yourself.
They only do so in flights over a certain duration (if I'm not wrong, above 10h30). Which results in flights such as CDG-MIA, block scheduled at 10h05, under-catered (as mentioned above).
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by tff
They only do so in flights over a certain duration (if I'm not wrong, above 10h30). Which results in flights such as CDG-MIA, block scheduled at 10h05, under-catered (as mentioned above).
That surprises me because I've never been on an AF flight over 10 hours, yet we've had the snacks in the mini bar. Maybe they changed the policy while I wasn't paying attention.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I too have noticed a major improvement in DL's food quality in Y over the past two years. In the past I actively avoided DL in Y long haul.
Recently I did DUB to BOS with DL and the chicken lunch was possibly the best meal I ever had in Y. I enjoyed every bite. Extremely tasty dessert too. Later the crew came around with icecream and before landing, a (hot?) sandwich was given out. For a flight of less than 6 hours it was great service.
Especially compared with the subsequent 7 hour DL flight from BOS to LAX in which the "meal" served consisted of a turkey sandwich and one chocolate, although I must say that sandwich was quite tasty too...Beats the pretzels any day.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:12 pm
tff

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
That surprises me because I've never been on an AF flight over 10 hours, yet we've had the snacks in the mini bar. Maybe they changed the policy while I wasn't paying attention.
They always have refreshments in the galley in Y, but snacks only in certain flights.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I also agree that DL's long-haul food is wonderful compared to some other airlines. On a CDG-RDU flight, the service was done similarly to in the video posted by ClippterDelta. Beverages+snack -> lunch+beverages -> full-sized water bottles passed out ----> snack+beverages --> pre-arrival hot wrap with ice cream+beverages.

I wish AF came through with water bottles instead of having to come through the cabin repeatedly for water runs.

On a 9hr 55min (block time) flight, AF had snacks such as candy, snack bars, and cookies, and drinks in the galley. I don't know if it's normal or not...

Both airlines get their job done, but given an option, I'd choose Delta because 1) They don't have 3-4-3 777s, and 2) DL has a good track record for me, and I generally know what I'm going to get (food, crew, etc).
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:07 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
A few years ago (4, to be precise) I moved away from DL TATL Y in favor of AF Y exactly because of the constantly bad meal service and customer service in general. Since summer 2016, on the other hand, the service has improved significantly. Food has gotten better, service has improved, and the onboard wifi is a plus. Right now I'm fine with either a flight on AF (772 / 77W, I hate AF's A330), or a DL flight in the A330.

Business Class has also improved, but unless DL has the A330 on the CDG-JFK flight, I chose the AF flight with BEST seats.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by C W
and I'm not sure what the balls of grain/starch were, but they had some bite and went very well with the sauce.
It's Israeli couscous aka fregola sarda. And yes, I must admit that most of my AF Y meals have been quite a bit better than the ones you seem to have experienced, though I dislike AF's occasional tendency to over-saucy dishes. Bizarrely, the worst culprit on one of my recent trips on AF was actually a second J meal, not in Y.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:30 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by orbitmic
It's Israeli couscous aka fregola sarda. And yes, I must admit that most of my AF Y meals have been quite a bit better than the ones you seem to have experienced, though I dislike AF's occasional tendency to over-saucy dishes. Bizarrely, the worst culprit on one of my recent trips on AF was actually a second J meal, not in Y.
Thank you very much for identifying that for me! I was wondering for a long time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.