Search

Discounted F AF fares? (777)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
Discounted F AF fares? (777)

Hi Guys,

Shot in the dark, but this is a 2 point question. I've been really wanting to try Air France the last few years, La Premier on the 777, but as I don't have status - I figure the only way to is to pay.
  1. However, having said that - costs. I'm not sure why one way is more expensive than return, but return is about $14k USD from LAX - CDG. (one way is like $9k). Do AF have discounts ever - where you can get the same flight for less? I've read people doing it for $4k return even - not sure if mistake fares or discounts.
  2. Since F is refundable, if I take the 1st leg, but want to cancel and refund the 2nd leg - what is AF's policy regarding this? Do I forfeit the 2nd leg or do I get a portion of it back for a fee?
Let me know thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by jubbing
Do AF have discounts ever - where you can get the same flight for less? I've read people doing it for $4k return even - not sure if mistake fares or discounts.
Not mistake fares, but yes they do regular promo. There was one very recent from the US for something like $4K return. It's been extremely popular for our FT friends based in the US. Outside the promo periods (you can look for this in the premium fare deals forum of FT), you have to spend some time to look for various itineraries for origin and destinations, different dates and be creative.

Since F is refundable, if I take the 1st leg, but want to cancel and refund the 2nd leg - what is AF's policy regarding this? Do I forfeit the 2nd leg or do I get a portion of it back for a fee?
It all depends on the ticket conditions. But if I were you I would not play that kind of games, and in any case I suppose you need to return home so what's the point of booking one way ? And don't forget that one of the best part of an AF P trip is to depart from CDG to use the P lounge.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Goldorak
There was one very recent from the US for something like $4K return. It's been extremely popular for our FT friends based in the US.
This is the promo I was talking about :
[FARE GONE] AF: US-Spain/London r/t in F as low as $3,000
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:16 am

AF have La Première sales every so often, if you cancel the 2nd leg AF would reprice the ticket, you could however look at one way in F and the other in J which might still allow you to get the cheaper rate for the F segment.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
It all depends on the ticket conditions. But if I were you I would not play that kind of games, and in any case I suppose you need to return home so what's the point of booking one way ? And don't forget that one of the best part of an AF P trip is to depart from CDG to use the P lounge.
Actually - it's because I need to keep going on to another few countries towards Australia, not because I don't want to go back. I was planning on perhaps continuing with AF to Copenhagen (transit in CDG) - thus still being able to use the P Lounge.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:03 am

Hi Guys,

Shot in the dark, but this is a 2 point question. I've been really wanting to try Air France the last few years, La Premier on the 777, but as I don't have status - I figure the only way to is to pay.
  1. However, having said that - costs. I'm not sure why one way is more expensive than return, but return is about $14k USD from LAX - CDG. (one way is like $9k). Do AF have discounts ever - where you can get the same flight for less? I've read people doing it for $4k return even - not sure if mistake fares or discounts.
  2. Since F is refundable, if I take the 1st leg, but want to cancel and refund the 2nd leg - what is AF's policy regarding this? Do I forfeit the 2nd leg or do I get a portion of it back for a fee?
Let me know thanks!
Try Oakland, Sacramento, San Diego. Fares to Copenhagen are just over $4900 return, looks like 60 days advance purchase though, if not 90.

You can always book return months apart and make it 2 trips.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skyhighlander
Try Oakland, Sacramento, San Diego. Fares to Copenhagen are just over $4900 return, looks like 60 days advance purchase though, if not 90.

You can always book return months apart and make it 2 trips.
I'm still 180 days out so I'm good with that - I see the fares you are talking about which is nice!

Last edited by jubbing; Nov 18, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't waste my time--well, money--on a one-way TO Paris - as mentioned, one of the most differentiated parts of the service is the lounge in CDG. Ideally, connect through Paris, with a 3-4 hour layover, for the maximum experience.

Also, these discount r/t fares will be cheaper than a one-way F fare. So worse comes to worse, just don't fly the return, but you won't get any money back. And don't make a habit out of doing that. (You can, and probably should) cancel the reservation but just tell them you will reschedule).
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Yes, be creative. It requires a lot of research for your dates. Try multiple combinations from US cities to several European cities.
From Europe, it is even harder to find good fares.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:07 am
Original Poster

SFO - CDG (with 4 or 9 hour stopover) - CPH is one of the better prices I have seen. About $5,400 USD return thus far.

Oakland is obviously $4900 - but it means an extra connection to LA.

Last edited by jubbing; Nov 24, 2017 at 6:07 am
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:26 am
Original Poster

A quick word on this - had a chat with the AF team and they said that the fare conditions of F allow me to cancel my 2nd return leg even after I've flown the 1st, and I can get it refunded after a $450 USD cancellation fee.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
A quick word on this - had a chat with the AF team and they said that the fare conditions of F allow me to cancel my 2nd return leg even after I've flown the 1st, and I can get it refunded after a $450 USD cancellation fee.
Yes, but the important information you need is how much they will refund. That depends on ticket conditions, especially if the reprice is based on historic or current fare. But, I would expect a very small refund, if any, as they will reprice it as a one-way which is very expensive. I suggest that you treat the fare as the cost of the one-way flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.