Cabin Baggage Size in J

Old Oct 25, 17, 12:24 pm
Original Poster
Ritz-Carlton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold, SK EBB Silver, JX COSMILE Insighter
Cabin Baggage Size in J

Hello everyone,

I'll be flying KLM and and returning on Air France later this December from the UK (Edinburgh) to South East Asia (Jakarta) and I have got some questions about the cabin baggage size in J.

I've seen the website saying that the cabin baggage's maximum dimensions is 55x35x25 cm. Are they very strict with the dimensions, or are they lenient (especially in Premium Cabins)?

The cabin baggage I usually bring is a trolley case measuring 55x40x20 cm, which is an additional 5 cm from the 35 cm.

Additionally, do they usually make checks at the gate?

Thank you
Old Oct 25, 17, 12:31 pm

I never saw AF or KL check the cabin size bag, there have been reports o it done in CDG security queue, but only for departing passengers, not for transit ones.
Old Oct 25, 17, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
They were hecking ex-CDG when I flew out in mid-September. There were a lot of very unhappy people who's bags were just a bit over.
Old Oct 25, 17, 1:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
They're certainly lenient with it in J. Never see them checking.
Old Oct 25, 17, 5:23 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeRitz-Carlton Contributor Badge

Thanks for the replies everyone! I do hope they'll be lenient when I fly them in Dec
@Finkface, was this during transit security or at the security queue into airside or at the gate? Seems quite odd that they'd check it in a security queue though... Do you know if they were Y or J passengers? Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 17, 6:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by clubeurope View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone! I do hope they'll be lenient when I fly them in Dec
@Finkface, was this during transit security or at the security queue into airside or at the gate? Seems quite odd that they'd check it in a security queue though... Do you know if they were Y or J passengers? Thanks!
This was at the gate. I was in J and my bag was not checked, however it was clearly within the size limits so that may have been the reason. One of the unhappy pax was a J pax as I heard him say as much. However his issue was too many pieces (he had three, a roller, computer bag and a backpack. Plus a small plastic bag so I guess technically four although he stuffed the plastic bag into the computer bag, making it quite bulgy). The others, I'm not sure.
Old Oct 25, 17, 6:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus
It's questionnable whether a roller, a computer bag and a backpack count as three items or two items + one accessory.
Old Oct 25, 17, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by SkyteamEP View Post
It's questionnable whether a roller, a computer bag and a backpack count as three items or two items + one accessory.
Don't jump to conclusions unless you've actually seen what this chap had with him.
Old Oct 25, 17, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by SkyteamEP View Post
The computer bag was also a roller. And the backpack was huge.
Old Oct 26, 17, 7:05 am
Original Poster

@Finkface, that does seem like a lot of luggage

I'm planning to take only one cabin luggage and a personal item, so I hope they're lenient!

Thanks for the replies! Cheers
Old Oct 26, 17, 8:22 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
As far as I know AF/KL are of the few airlines that limits the bag width to 35 cm. Most airlines, even LCCs, allow 40.

I'm traveling with a 40cm wide bag for years, and never had problems on either airline (flying economy). I do get SkyPriority though, and I have not been through security at CDG since they have started checking carry-on sizes there.
Old Oct 28, 17, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
AF is ridiculous with its hand bag sizes (55x35x25). BA for example has (55x45x25).
However, BA enforces it quite strictly for European flight. I got trouble when I was connecting from a F flight to Europe because of 27 rather than 25. AF tends to seldom enforce it. They go through an excited period of serious implementation then stop.
You will have no problem for your longhaul flights, the only risk is the EDI lfight. In all my flying with AF, I never had any problem.

Last edited by brunos; Oct 31, 17 at 9:14 am
Old Oct 31, 17, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input everyone!

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
AF is ridiculous with its hand bag sizes (55x35x25). BA for example has (55x45x25).
However, BA enforces it quite strictly for European flight. I got trouble when I was connecting from a F flight to Europe because of 17 rather than 15. AF tends to seldom enforce it. They go through an excited period of serious implementation then stop.
You will have no problem for your longhaul flights, the only risk is the EDI lfight. In all my flying with AF, I never had any problem.
I do agree, it's absolutely ridiculous. I'll bring my trolley case anyway.

Cheers!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: