Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF fares in O class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There is no reason to suspect that Delta won't grant you the miles.

Please ask any further Skymiles questions in the appropriate forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...-skymiles-665/
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:14 pm

Booking class O

I've just booked a round trip from LHR to HND via CDG for next May in business at a price that comparatively low (Ł1600 per person). When booking I wondered if it was some kind of post world cup flash sale but there's nothing on their website.

I've just received the ticket by email and the fare class from London to Paris shows as J but from Paris to Tokyo is showing O.

Everything I've found suggests this is an award fare, have I got that right?

Does this mean I've accidently booked a mistake fare?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:18 pm

They use it for both award and revenue inventory.
irishguy28 and garak112 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Mods: please merge with the recently-bumped thread: AF fares in O class
garak112 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Keter
Which class short haul or connecting short haul awards book to?
Originally Posted by bodory
My mistake. They use O as well.
It used to be only O but now it allows (requires?) J as well. From expertflyer, ZRH-STO AF fare O3LSSW:

034 ZRHSTO 22JUL18 AF USD 392.00 O3LSSW STAY- V/-- BK-O
FARE CLS EXPLANATION BOOK CODES
-------- ---------------------- ----------
O3LSSW BUSINESS RESTRICTED FARES O
O3LSSW APPLIES FOR ROUND TRIP FARES

BOOKING CODE EXCEPTIONS
IF VIA AF ALL BUSINESS WITHIN EUROPE
J REQUIRED WITHIN FRANCE
IF VIA AF ALL BUSINESS WITHIN EUROPE
J REQUIRED WHEN OFFERED WITHIN EUROPE
SECONDARY PORTION OF TRAVEL
I booked one from AF website, ZRH-CDG on J class and CDG-ARN on O class.
The cheapest Z (Z3LSSW) has the same booking code exception, with J required on secondary portion of travel.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by Andy82
It used to be only O but now it allows (requires?) J as well. From expertflyer, ZRH-STO AF fare O3LSSW:

I booked one from AF website, ZRH-CDG on J class and CDG-ARN on O class.
The cheapest Z (Z3LSSW) has the same booking code exception, with J required on secondary portion of travel.
This is not award first of all and this is a temporary glitch as AF revenue management is too competent It matters less now as miles are credited based on EUR spent, and not many will look for stopovers (where it does matter).
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:11 am

This is not award first of all and this is a temporary glitch as AF revenue management is too competent It matters less now as miles are credited based on EUR spent, and not many will look for stopovers (where it does matter).
I'm sorry, I don't understand your comment. I know this is not award - I bought paid O class a lot from when it came out - and I doubt it's a glitch since it has been there for weeks ;-) And stopovers matter *a lot* for status, especially in C class.
A O-class segment gives 15 XP, meaning that a European rt trip through CDG gives you 60XP, for as low as 450 EUR - which is probably the best way to get XP per euro spent.

Regarding miles, before the new miles earning system, the difference was not that high between J and O... O was awarded 200% while J 250% and inside europe it wasn't going to matter too much.

I guess the only positive thing of this booking class exception is availability "in theory", and that's what I wanted to point out.

Last edited by Andy82; Jul 24, 2018 at 1:03 am
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: KL Plat
I'm sorry, I don't understand your comment. I know this is not award - I bought paid O class a lot from when it came out - and I doubt it's a glitch since it has been there for weeks ;-) And stopovers matter *a lot* for status, especially in C class.
A O-class segment gives 15 XP, meaning that a European rt trip through CDG gives you 60XP, for as low as 450 EUR - which is probably the best way to get XP per euro spent.
I noticed some 6-segment EU trips last week in O for a smidgen over €500. In my case it was GOT-UK KL served airports, i.e. GOT-CDG-AMS-UK and back. May work for any EU destination served by KL and not AF, originating from an AF served airport airport. Certainly a bargain for 90 XP!

There were a lot more choices closer to €600 which still isn't bad...
Andy82 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Solevita
I noticed some 6-segment EU trips last week in O for a smidgen over €500. In my case it was GOT-UK KL served airports, i.e. GOT-CDG-AMS-UK and back. May work for any EU destination served by KL and not AF, originating from an AF served airport airport. Certainly a bargain for 90 XP!

There were a lot more choices closer to €600 which still isn't bad...
Exactly! These 3-legs EU trips they all work for KL-only served destinations, like for example BRU (it's served by HOP!, but not to CDG), on AF fares and normally on AF codeshares only.
In the past I did a ZRH-CDG-AMS-BRU essentially for fun but it was all on Z class and definitely more expensive - around 800 eur If I'm not wrong. I need to check those UK airports for other fun trips
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Regarding miles, before the new miles earning system, the difference was not that high between J and O... O was awarded 200% while J 250% and inside europe it wasn't going to matter too much.

I guess the only positive thing of this booking class exception is availability "in theory", and that's what I wanted to point out.
Its probably my confusion then, because the original question I asked and quoted by you was about award tickets - 'Which class short haul or connecting short haul awards book to?'. It was not about which class paid O-fares book to.

XPs are not dependent on stopovers. Probably again a confusion, this time on 'stopover vs connection'.

Stopovers will break married segement logic (on AF and KL at least excluding connections with codeshares where the logic does not work from day 1 in any case), hence if one flight books into J and not O you will have higher chances to book what you want and AF (unlikely) will have some revenue leakage.

Back to the qualification of AF revenue management (oh again and again - some O-fares require O class when its OFFERED while its not offered on some codeshares, Given the same revenue management forgot Q-surcharge for codeshares (otherwise available where it matters for AF in terms of cost) we get pretty expensive codeshares (ie SU) at the price of cheappy O fares
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:19 am

Its probably my confusion then, because the original question I asked and quoted by you was about award tickets - 'Which class short haul or connecting short haul awards book to?'. It was not about which class paid O-fares book to.

XPs are not dependent on stopovers. Probably again a confusion, this time on 'stopover vs connection'.

Stopovers will break married segement logic (on AF and KL at least excluding connections with codeshares where the logic does not work from day 1 in any case), hence if one flight books into J and not O you will have higher chances to book what you want and AF (unlikely) will have some revenue leakage.

Back to the qualification of AF revenue management (oh again and again - some O-fares require O class when its OFFERED while its not offered on some codeshares, Given the same revenue management forgot Q-surcharge for codeshares (otherwise available where it matters for AF in terms of cost) we get pretty expensive codeshares (ie SU) at the price of cheappy O fares
By re-reading the thread, it was my fault, I apologize - especially on the awful confusion between stopover and connection, which I normally do not do.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Got booked into one of these "award" buckets just recently... outbound O/O, inbound Z/Z. Cheap fare, I know, but still want to take the most miles from this trip. I am looking into crediting the O-segments into Flying Blue and the Z-segments to SkyMiles instead. Does AF IT work well with this and I can change the frequent flyer # to be different on outbound and return or it will cause problems that might credit the Z segments into Flying Blue too? Should I just retroclaim from both programs afterwards? Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

While these gurus fixed the fares between Europe and Israel (and vv) with payments to Aeroflot now signifiantly down I guess (actually not just for that reason...) they did not fix another bug, morover they made it worse bby allowing what was possible for TLV, ie J class on flights operated by SU under O fares

MOW-TLV and vv fares now accrues EUR 450 of Q-charge per segment of SU in business as it should have been in the very beginning.

I am still upset though with the new cost of a stopover for O-fares withiin Europe (EUR 100).
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Am I right in thinking that you cannot get miles for O booking class in any other programme apart from Flying Blue ?
I'd like to book a couple of paid Business tickets and those unfortunately book into O

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Apr 8, 2023, 8:58 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Can someone please provide updated information on O class is it award class only? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.