Search

Air France 380 Flight Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Thumbs down Air France 380 Flight Cancellations

I have a flight coming up on the AF 380

I tend to do I keep an eye on how my flight performs in the Weeks/months leading up to a flight .

In the the last couple weeks my flight (AF 11) and the other 380 Flight out of JFK (AF7)
Have seen several cancellations, 5 in the last week between The two, while other flights on 777 have gone out no problems. Just curious if anything is up with the 380s

Are the 380 flights more prone to problems or just coincidence and a bad week for the jumbo.

I was already not excited about the Angle Flat J seat, now this, I hope 380s are doing better the week I have to fly one
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
They have not been cancelled but delayed and re-numbered (and the original flight number appears as cancelled in the systems, while the flight itself is not cancelled).
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
They have not been cancelled but delayed and re-numbered (and the original flight number appears as cancelled in the systems, while the flight itself is not cancelled).
I see
Thanks

I supose it could be any number of reasons why the a380 flights we so delayed
Hopefully it's nothing to do with the plane itself
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:11 am

Yes, it happens. Do you know why they give a new flight number instead to keep the same flight number?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: FB Platinum
i remember reading somewhere on FT that for those flights delayed with daily schedules in/out of an airport, they are renumbered to prevent confusion with the next day's flight.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by natcin
i remember reading somewhere on FT that for those flights delayed with daily schedules in/out of an airport, they are renumbered to prevent confusion with the next day's flight.
Yes, that's the reason. They used to add a letter after the flight number instead of attributing a completely different number (e.g. AF023A), but this letter was incompatible with DL systems, so for US flights, they now give a different number. They still use the letter system for non-US flights.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:37 am

Yes, that's the reason. They used to add a letter after the flight number instead of attributing a completely different number (e.g. AF023A), but this letter was incompatible with DL systems, so for US flights, they now give a different number. They still use the letter system for non-US flights.
Thanks for your explanation.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
With the recent A380 event, expect AF to ground their fleet for a while. (Loss of entire fan over Canada).
This will be major.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:38 pm
RMO

Originally Posted by airmotive
With the recent A380 event, expect AF to ground their fleet for a while. (Loss of entire fan over Canada).
This will be major.
How long is a while? I was hoping to fly the A380 from LAX back to CDG.
miles4CDG likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

This will be major.

Glad every one is ok, but I definately thought about this,
I have a flight on the 380 on Thursday JFK-CDG
Since I'm in J a swap to 777 would be an upgrade
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

This will be major.
I am not sure at all they will ground the fleet. We’ll see.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
I am not sure at all they will ground the fleet. We’ll see.
There's a major safety of flight issue with an unknown cause and no plausible means for containment.
With only one failure, the PNE would be almost impossible to determine .

Park em, poke up, press to test,

They are machines made by man, Rest assured , they will fail if left to their own devices,
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:20 pm

A broken engine on a big airplane might be more spectacular but it is not a reason to ground a fleet. This happens everyday. The pilot safely landed and had three engines left.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by af fp
A broken engine on a big airplane might be more spectacular but it is not a reason to ground a fleet. This happens everyday. The pilot safely landed and had three engines left.
This may "happen every day" but being held on board for 18 hours after what constitutes an emergency landing is not! I guess the passengers couldn't dial 911 as others have done!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:19 pm

Passengers were not held on board for 18 hours. Did you get those news from Breitbart?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.