Wiki Posts
Search

New strikes announced by Air France personnel due to Joon

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
New strikes announced by Air France personnel due to Joon

Dutch and Paywall (5 articles free per month if register); Financial daily in NL:

https://fd.nl/ondernemen/1215004/air...tschappij-joon

tldr; Strikes announced by AF per Sept 1st. due to job insecurities regarding Joon. First Joon tickets are supposedly to be sold starting at the end of Sept., flying from CDG and are intended to make the currently 1/3rd of the AF long-haul routes currently running at a loss, profitable again.

Also noted is the lack of growth at AF compared to KLM

Last edited by Wunk; Aug 21, 2017 at 3:45 am
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: FB Platinum
From http://www.easytravelreport.com/index.html

French general strike is planned for Tuesday, 12 September 2017

Air France Pilot Strike
Air France pilot strike is planned from 9th to 12th of September, 2017.
In line with the general strike.
Striking pilots belong to SPAF pilot union, which is considered a minor union compared to SNPL-ALPA which has 50% or more of Air France pilots enrolled with. Momentum may encourage other Air France unions to join in.

Air France management can easily cover this strike action. Trouble comes as these dates will coincide with a French general strike. If the pilot's don't get you other aviation unions workers will.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: Some...
There is no "general strike" on September 12th in France.

One union called for a "general strike" on that day. It was 2 months ago and only a few other small unions are following them.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Excellent. I have an AF flight on Sept. 15. Should I start making other arrangements?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Finkface
Excellent. I have an AF flight on Sept. 15. Should I start making other arrangements?
From the way things look, that would not be necessary. In he unlikely event you do get affected by an AF strike, rest assured that AF customer service have become quiet good at handling strikes.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:47 am

I also have a flight from CDG to JFK on Sept 12. I hope to be ok as well. THANK YOU WLL for the information...
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:16 am

AF Strikes: past experience

Usually these strikes hit short and mid-range Air France flights (within France and Europe). Since they make a bigger profit on tourists and air freight, it seems like AF usually aims to minimize the impact to their long-haul service. Their Operations Alerts usually indicate that all or up to 80% of their long haul flights will operate during strikes.
My past experience trying to get back to Boston during a strike is that they will rotate any cancellations (the 20%) among several cities and try to focus on destinations served by multiple fights (so cancel one JFK or IAD flight, fill up the others). My CDG-BOS flight got hit by the rotating cancellation once and I was routed at the check-in desk from CDG-ATL and back to BOS on Delta. Not bad, same day service, but I got home about 5 hours later than planned (and it hurts to overfly your original destination only to know you've got another 1.5 hours of flight time, a frantic connection through US passport control and then another 2 hour flight home. But just look at all the extra miles you get to accrue ! The worst part of it all is that CDG airport becomes a nightmare of lines and crowds - and you usually won't find out if a flight is operating or cancelled until 2 hours prior, thus, you've checked out of your downtown hotel and made the trip to the airport. Fortunately, CDG has a plethora of airport hotels nearby, avoiding the 55 Euro taxi fare each way if you can't get an alternate flight that day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.