Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

Does AF mobile boarding pass require cell service or just internet access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

I have two people on a reservation. One of us/me will have full cell service. The other will only have wifi. The Air France site suggests you need to enter a mobile number to get a boarding pass. Is this correct, or can both of us download as long as we have some kind of internet connection?

I believe you can save your boarding pass on an iPhone for when you don't have internet access. Not sure if this is also true on Android, but in my case it's not really needed.

I still have the option of printing at a self service check in kiosk.

If you have internet access on your mobile phone, you can use it to check in with Air France.

You can even receive your boarding pass on your mobile phone for all trips departing from France and the following countries:

Austria, Belgium, Canada, China (Hong Kong), Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia (Moscow), Serbia, Spain (Bilbao, Barcelona, Madrid), Sweden, Switzerland, Togo, Turkey or United Kingdom.

Note, if there is more than one passenger on the same reservation, each passenger must indicate a mobile phone number to receive his or her boarding pass on.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:55 pm

To receive the LINK to the mobile boarding pass, yes, you need a phone with an active SIM card (other airlines also allow to send this LINK to an email address, like Lufthansa does)

After you've received this LINK (only GSM network required, no mobile data for that) you may open the actual boarding pass / QR code with any device that is able to display it - ie any kind of mobile phone like Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile..

It's a good idea to save this QR code as a screenshot - just in case you lose connection.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
What a stupid way to make something that should be very easy into something that is difficult.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like I'll be doing plan B, public computer kiosk save to PDF, or plan C print at airport check in kiosk.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
To receive the LINK to the mobile boarding pass, yes, you need a phone with an active SIM card (other airlines also allow to send this LINK to an email address, like Lufthansa does)

After you've received this LINK (only GSM network required, no mobile data for that) you may open the actual boarding pass / QR code with any device that is able to display it - ie any kind of mobile phone like Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile..

It's a good idea to save this QR code as a screenshot - just in case you lose connection.
This is technically true, but misleading.

If you have a smartphone (iPhone, Android) you do *not* require GSM coverage.

You can download the Air France mobile app on your mobile device - this works on WiFi.

You can then do the online check-in on your mobile device - this also works on WiFi.

The check-in process will generate a boarding pass, which will be stored in Wallet (or whatever the Android equivalent is), and the boarding pass will also be stored in the Air France app - all of that can happen on WiFi.

At the airport, you don't need any connection, you just pull the boarding pass from Wallet.

So, no GSM coverage is needed.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
I still have the option of printing at a self service check in kiosk.
So does anyone else. A mobile boarding pass is a convenience, not a necessity.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Modern phones (Android and iPhone) let you check in and retrieve / store the boarding pass locally over Wi-Fi or 2G/3G/4G etc.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
This is technically true, but misleading.

If you have a smartphone (iPhone, Android) you do *not* require GSM coverage.

You can download the Air France mobile app on your mobile device - this works on WiFi.

You can then do the online check-in on your mobile device - this also works on WiFi.

The check-in process will generate a boarding pass, which will be stored in Wallet (or whatever the Android equivalent is), and the boarding pass will also be stored in the Air France app - all of that can happen on WiFi.

At the airport, you don't need any connection, you just pull the boarding pass from Wallet.

So, no GSM coverage is needed.
I concur.

And a nice feature of both the AF and KLM apps is the fact that, if you have OLCI'd before going to the airport and sync'd the app, the boarding pass is also stored in the application itself. So you can just open the app without any wifi or sim connection, just like you would do with Wallet as San Gottardo said, and the BP will be available.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: FB, MM, QR
You can even take a screenshot of the boarding pass and it will scan properly, provided there were no changes made to it in the meantime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.