Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

updated information about new J seats deployments and other information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: N515CR
This wikipost presents an updated summary of AF plans for retrofitting the long-haul fleet with new J (and W) seats. For more details, please refer to the thread below

Last update on 19 APR 2024

B772
21 planes. All B772 are already retrofitted with the BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat). A refit programme is underway to standardise the 772 fleet with a 28J 32W 268M configuration, with refits expected to be complete before summer 2024.
- Seating config 1: C28W32Y268
- Seating config 2: C28W24Y260
- Seating config 3: C40W32Y216

B77W
Version with P (19 planes out of 43 77W): 19/19 completed (F-GSQA, F-GSQB, F-GSQC, F-GSQF, F-GSQG, F-GSQH, F-GSQI, F-GSQJ, F-GSQK, F-GSQL, F-GSQM, F-GSQU, F-GSQV, F-GSQY, F-GZNA, F-GZNB, F-GZNC, F-GZND, and F-GZNE)
- They are already all retrofitted with the BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat).
- Seating config: F4C58W28Y206

COI version (14J) (12 planes out of 43 B77W): all retrofitted (F-GSQO, F-GSQP, F-GSQT, F-GSQX, F-GZNG. F-GSQS, F-GZNF, F-GSQR, F-GSQN, F-GZNO, F-GZNL and F-GZNN).
- The J seat is Zodiac Optima (same as chosen for the A350), similar to the UA Polaris seat. The config is 1-2-1 and total 14J.
- The W seat is the same as in the B789.
- Seating config: C14W32Y422

Remaining 77W (the 12 planes in NEV4 "loisirs" config (42J)): 10/12 completed (F-GZNK, F-GZNP, F-GZNQ, F-GZNS, F-GZNT, F-GZNI, F-GZNR, F-GZNU, F-GZNJ, and F-GZNH)
- The new seat will be a slightly improved version of the BEST seat, with a door for privacy.
- Retrofits started in March 2022 and were projected to finish by the end of 2023, but they are late.
- Aircraft in retrofit: F-GSQD (arrived @ ORY 28 Feb)
- Aircraft yet to be converted: F-GSQE (arrived @ ORY 19 Apr, awaiting confirmation)
- Seating config: C48W48Y273
- Old config: C42W24Y315

B789
- Direct deliveries with BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat, slightly smaller than the 777 one, due to fuselage width limitation).
- Ten planes have been delivered to AF (F-HRBA to F-HRBJ).
- AF initially ordered 15 B789, with the remaining to go to KL.
- Seating config: C30W21Y228

A332
- 15 planes. Retrofitted in 2-2-2 with the Stelia Equinoxe seat. A similar seat can be seen in the UX B787. Also, the W seats are the same as the B789.
- More info on A332 retrofit can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-retrofit.html
- Since October 2020, all aircraft have the new cabin.
- Seating config: C36W21Y167

A343
Update 01/2020: Only 4 planes remaining (in Joon livery & interiors : F-GLZK/N/O/P). They will leave the fleet between 03/3020 and end 2021.
All retired per ch-aviation.

A359
- Overall, AF will have 38 A359. 22 planes have been delivered as of 22/09/2023:
First batch (20): F-HTYA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R/S/T
- Direct delivery with Zodiac Optima, similar to UA Polaris seat (see above B777 COI). Config 1-2-1.
- The W seat is a Recaro recliner seat.
- All the A359 ordered for both AF & KL are finally going to AF (while KL will receive all the B789 remaining to be delivered on the AF sub-order).
- As per an information post by frausflyer , the 20th A350 (likely F-HTYT) to be delivered to AF will have a P cabin. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33283076-post467.html. However, this eventually did not happen, and F-HTYT has the same cabin as the 19 aircraft that preceded it.
- Seating config: C34W24Y266

Second batch (7/18): F-HUVA/B/C/D/E/F/G
- The 21st A359 (F-HUVA) has the new 48J cabin with small differences compared to the B77W one. According to Aerolopa, it and 17 A350s to follow will not have P.
- Seating config: C48W32Y212

A388
All A380 will leave the fleet by 2022 and so, will not be retrofitted with new seats. F-HPJB is the 1st to leave the fleet : it has been returned to the lessor in January 2020.
All retired June 26 2020 due to COVID-19.

Print Wikipost

updated information about new J seats deployments and other information

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Porcepic
Slightly OT, but an article from Libération published yesterday writes that AF cabins will be densified, taking the example of a 777 on which AF has 18 seats less than KL. Not sure to catch the logical link with the upmarket though!

https://www.liberation.fr/france/201...aniere_1710603 (in French)
Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
That is a weird and contradicting information indeed. We had seen other notes which implied that the AF brand is aiming at becoming more premium. Biggest difference across the 2 configs is Premium Economy (AF) vs. Eco Confort (KL) with a 38" vs 34" seat pitch. Accomodating significantly more seats means compromising the premium cabin(s).
Guys, I think you completely misunderstood the concept of becoming more premium. It concerns W, J and P but certainly not Y. Y will be more and more cattle class due to competition with long-haul LCC.
This being said, I don’t see how they can densify more the B777 which are 10-abreast and with a low pitch. The reference to KL doesn’t seem relevant to me as KL has no W and usually smaller J cabins, so they can have 2 more rows of Y.

Last edited by Goldorak; Feb 22, 2019 at 12:03 am Reason: correct typo
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by Goldorak

Guys, I think you completely misunderstood the concept of becoming more premium. It concerns W, J and P but certainly not Y. Y will be more and more cattle class due to competition with long-haul LCC.
This being said, I don’t see how they can density more the B777 which are 10-abreast and with a low pitch. The reference to KL doesn’t seem relevant to me as KL has no W and usually smaller J cabins, so they can have 2 more rows of Y.
Well, that was kind of my point, too. It seems to be impossible to squeeze another 18 seats into the economy cabin, means potential opportunities would be within the premium cabins.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So if I read the Wiki correctly, none of the A380s in the AF fleet have lie flat seats in J and won't be upgraded/deployed until 10/2020?

Or do any of them have life-flats but are not BEST?

I was looking at a J award out of SFO for late August and I see that AF083 is still angled recline according to Seatguru in J.

Haven't they been rolling out BEST for at least 3-4 years now?

I do see some awards via KLM 772s at the same price as on the AF A380s but I don't know what that equipment is like.

In the winter/spring, AF used to fly a smaller plane for SFO-CDG instead of the 747s. Do they still do the same and have the smaller planes been upgraded?

I have a lot of Amex MR and Chase MR points and FB is a transfer partner with both of those programs but the bloggers (especially TPG) really seem down on FB.

I do see a bunch of 57k J awards though on FB at the moment, for the dates I want.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Isn't there a 772 SFO-CDG with BEST seats in the summer?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
Isn't there a 772 SFO-CDG with BEST seats in the summer?

There might be. They do run two flights daily or on some days of the week for this route but they're not showing up in the award search results that I can see.

Maybe those have all been scarfed up or they may release them later.

I guess another option would be to search for LAX-CDG awards and buy separate flights from SFO to LAX, which I've done a couple of times to redeem DL TATL awards, though those were for AZ flights.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by wco81
So if I read the Wiki correctly, none of the A380s in the AF fleet have lie flat seats in J and won't be upgraded/deployed until 10/2020?.
Correct
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:22 pm

I'm booked ATL-CDG on the old 2-3-2 angle flats in December...would it be worth the change fee to switch to the flight with the BEST seats? I'd be arriving about 4 hours later if I do that as well, which isn't ideal since I have about a 2.5 hour drive ahead of me on the back end but a little worried about getting sleep in the angle flats.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by dan9124
I'm booked ATL-CDG on the old 2-3-2 angle flats in December...would it be worth the change fee to switch to the flight with the BEST seats? I'd be arriving about 4 hours later if I do that as well, which isn't ideal since I have about a 2.5 hour drive ahead of me on the back end but a little worried about getting sleep in the angle flats.
Between now and december, many changes can happen. Your flight switching to BEST, the other flight supposedly BEST switching to NEV4. Or no change. Who knows !
So my message and recommendation : stay as you are and do not pay any change fee. It could clearly be a waste of money.
dan9124 and glennhaak like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

A332 - How to know if you have the old or new J cabin/seats

Dear all
as the config is 2-2-2 for both the old (NEV4) and new J cabin in the A332, here is a simple way to know which cabin you'll have if you fly J :

- Old NEV4 cabin : the last row is #7 (three rows in the back mini cabin) and on the left handside, the first row is #2 . The letters used for the seats are A-B / E-F / J-K.

- New J cabin : the last row is #6 (two rows in the back mini cabin) and on both sides, the first row is #1 . The letters used for the seats are A-C / D-H / J-L.

Also, I have a booking for next summer with the new config , but I haven't seen any special logo (like Design+ for the B777 having the BEST seats) indicating the plane had the new seats. So looking at the seat map seems the only way to know at the moment.

I now just hope that there will be no equipment swap for my flight !
wuzziduzziman likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
SO they manage to add two more seats in the front cabin.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by brunos
SO they manage to add two more seats in the front cabin.
yes and not surprising as there was a lot of space in front of 2A-B and they have removed a storage compartment as you can see on the plan to make enough room for the additional pair of seats.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
A bit disappointing they went with this seat design instead of the one that Delta uses on their A330. They take up the exact same amount of space - both aircraft manage to have 24 seats forward of door 2 on the Airbus 330-200. Delta has 6 rows of 4, Air France has 4 rows of 6.

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Still confirmed from 23 APR to SEA
Wish this was earlier in April.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Airlineroutes just published that the A350 will be used on CDG-BKO-ABJ from 23 SEP 2019 with the seatmap of the J cabin showing staggered seats.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...from-sep-2019/
Config is J24 W24 Y266

KL714 and wuzziduzziman like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Some recent articles/pictures on AF A330 and A350 seats.
https://onemileatatime.com/air-franc...ss-class-seat/
Old May 10, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: AF/KL Platinum, TK *G, BA Silver
I spent last night on a refurbished A330 (F-GZCF) traveling FNA-CKY-CDG. We usually get the ancient A340 on this route so this equipment change was a nice surprise. Here are my thoughts:
  • The cabin looks fresh and new, and the grey and dark blue colours are stylish and calming. I wonder how the light grey fabric will hold up to spilled red wine and food though.
  • I was traveling alone so I selected a seat in the middle pair for aisle access. I noticed those in window seats having a hard time getting out, because the footwell is quite deep so there isn't a huge amount of space between the seat and the back of the seat in front.
  • My seat had decent privacy - I couldn't see the face of the passenger next to me, even before pulling out the privacy screen which comes out around 20/30 cms and does not have to be stowed for takeoff or landing.
  • There is an over-the-shoulder seatbelt which attaches to the lap belt for take off and landing, which I found quite uncomfortable. It pulls out of the actual backrest, so I could occasionally feel it digging into my shoulder when laying down.
  • There is no separate leg rest, so the seat isn't good for reclining - you have to reach your feet out to the footwell so the back of your knee isn't supported. So the seat is pretty comfortable sitting up to eat, or lying flat, but on a long day flight I'm not sure how comfortable I would be.
  • I slept fine when lying flat, and there is plenty of space for your feet - I am 6ft. There is a proper division between your footwell and your neighbour's footwell so you don't feel like you are almost touching their feet. However I'm not very broad, and found the shoulder space restrictive when lying down - it's a tight space, and anybody a bit larger is going to struggle to lie on their back comfortably.
  • There is a small storage locker under the screen for personal items, but you can't reach it when lying down. There is nowhere around the seat to store an ipad or laptop which I found frustrating, and the only place to put a bottle of water is open to the seat. Mine fell onto me while I was sleeping during turbulence.
  • The screens are very large and great resolution. They are touchscreen but you would have to lean forward from your seat to do so. There is a remote control option but it's clunky and already feels very dated compared to the likes of QR. Completely incomparable with the screens on the old A330s.
  • Overall a vast improvement on the previous A330/ A340 product, but not exactly world-class. It reminded me very much of a slightly less comfortable version of the new KLM A330.
On a side note the crew and service were fantastic, as I always find them to be.
Goldorak, mlin32 and paris1000 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.