Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

updated information about new J seats deployments and other information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: N515CR
This wikipost presents an updated summary of AF plans for retrofitting the long-haul fleet with new J (and W) seats. For more details, please refer to the thread below

Last update on 23 APR 2024

B772
21 planes. All B772 are already retrofitted with the BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat). A refit programme is underway to standardise the 772 fleet with a 28J 32W 268M configuration, with refits expected to be complete before summer 2024.
- Seating config 1: C28W32Y268
- Seating config 2: C28W24Y260
- Seating config 3: C40W32Y216

B77W
Version with P (19 planes out of 43 77W): 19/19 completed (F-GSQA, F-GSQB, F-GSQC, F-GSQF, F-GSQG, F-GSQH, F-GSQI, F-GSQJ, F-GSQK, F-GSQL, F-GSQM, F-GSQU, F-GSQV, F-GSQY, F-GZNA, F-GZNB, F-GZNC, F-GZND, and F-GZNE)
- They are already all retrofitted with the BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat).
- Seating config: F4C58W28Y206

COI version (14J) (12 planes out of 43 B77W): all retrofitted (F-GSQO, F-GSQP, F-GSQT, F-GSQX, F-GZNG. F-GSQS, F-GZNF, F-GSQR, F-GSQN, F-GZNO, F-GZNL and F-GZNN).
- The J seat is Zodiac Optima (same as chosen for the A350), similar to the UA Polaris seat. The config is 1-2-1 and total 14J.
- The W seat is the same as in the B789.
- Seating config: C14W32Y422

Remaining 77W (the 12 planes in NEV4 "loisirs" config (42J)): 10/12 completed (F-GZNK, F-GZNP, F-GZNQ, F-GZNS, F-GZNT, F-GZNI, F-GZNR, F-GZNU, F-GZNJ, and F-GZNH)
- The new seat will be a slightly improved version of the BEST seat, with a door for privacy.
- Retrofits started in March 2022 and were projected to finish by the end of 2023, but they are late.
- Aircraft in retrofit: F-GSQD (arrived @ ORY 28 Feb), F-GSQE (arrived @ ORY 19 Apr)
- Seating config: C48W48Y273
- Old config: C42W24Y315

B789
- Direct deliveries with BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat, slightly smaller than the 777 one, due to fuselage width limitation).
- Ten planes have been delivered to AF (F-HRBA to F-HRBJ).
- AF initially ordered 15 B789, with the remaining to go to KL.
- Seating config: C30W21Y228

A332
- 15 planes. Retrofitted in 2-2-2 with the Stelia Equinoxe seat. A similar seat can be seen in the UX B787. Also, the W seats are the same as the B789.
- More info on A332 retrofit can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-retrofit.html
- Since October 2020, all aircraft have the new cabin.
- Seating config: C36W21Y167

A343
Update 01/2020: Only 4 planes remaining (in Joon livery & interiors : F-GLZK/N/O/P). They will leave the fleet between 03/3020 and end 2021.
All retired per ch-aviation.

A359
- Overall, AF will have 38 A359. 22 planes have been delivered as of 22/09/2023:
First batch (20): F-HTYA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R/S/T
- Direct delivery with Zodiac Optima, similar to UA Polaris seat (see above B777 COI). Config 1-2-1.
- The W seat is a Recaro recliner seat.
- All the A359 ordered for both AF & KL are finally going to AF (while KL will receive all the B789 remaining to be delivered on the AF sub-order).
- As per an information post by frausflyer , the 20th A350 (likely F-HTYT) to be delivered to AF will have a P cabin. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33283076-post467.html. However, this eventually did not happen, and F-HTYT has the same cabin as the 19 aircraft that preceded it.
- Seating config: C34W24Y266

Second batch (7/18): F-HUVA/B/C/D/E/F/G
- The 21st A359 (F-HUVA) has the new 48J cabin with small differences compared to the B77W one. According to Aerolopa, it and 17 A350s to follow will not have P.
- Seating config: C48W32Y212

A388
All A380 will leave the fleet by 2022 and so, will not be retrofitted with new seats. F-HPJB is the 1st to leave the fleet : it has been returned to the lessor in January 2020.
All retired June 26 2020 due to COVID-19.

Print Wikipost

updated information about new J seats deployments and other information

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Smile updated information about new J seats deployments and other information

Note : the planning information in this post are outdated. Please refer to the wikipost above to have the last available information.

Dear FTers
We recently had a lot of discussions in other threads about J cabin retrofits for AF fleet (seat types, planning). I had the opportunity to discuss recently with a person working at AF on the technical aspects of the seat choice and deployment and would like to share with you some information. I first want to thank this person for the time he spent with me, and all the information he gave me about the cabins, seats, constraints and opportunities ^. I want also to precise that, prior to post this on FT, I validated with AF that I was allowed to disclose those information here. So here is a summary of the current and future cabin equipments and retrofit + tentative planning.

B772
All B772 are already retrofitted with the BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat)

B77W
- version with P : they are already all retrofitted with the BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat).
- COI version (14J) : their retrofit was officially announced last week by AF. The seat will be a Zodiac Optima (same as chosen for the A350), similar to the UA Polaris seat. The config will be 1-2-1 and will remain at 14J. Planning : start around beginning 2019, end around end 2020.
- rest of the 77W : we are talking here about the 12 planes in NEV4 "loisirs" config (42J). You likely know that some of those planes were delivered very recently with NEV4, while AF was already retrofitting other B777 with BEST and we were all very surprised of this. The reason was that Zodiac had many manufacturing problems and delivery delays at that period, and AF needed absolutely those new planes, hence the decision to install NEV4. They will be retrofitted but after all other planes. The study has just started and AF will not make the final choice of the seat before some years, depending on new seats models which will be available at the time of te choice. Planning : around 2022-2023.

B789
Direct deliveries with BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat, slightly smaller than the 777 one, due to fuselage width limitation)

A332
It was already announced that they will be retrofitted in 2-2-2 with the Stelia Equinoxe seat. A similar seat can be seen in the UX B787. AF said that the seat will be very nice with storage compartments and a proper removable divider to ensure privacy. Planning : from beginning 2018 to 2019. Also, the W seats will be replaced by the same as in the B789.

I questioned the choice of the 2-2-2 config. The answer was that it was needed for the economical viability of the flights to be operated by the 332, due to the cabin sizes and galley locations.

A350
Direct delivery with Zodiac Optima , similar to UA Polaris seat (see above B777 COI). Config 1-2-1.

A388
You know that, for us on FT but for pax in general, this plane should have a high priority for the retrofit as this is the one in which we have the oldest and completely outdated NEV3 J seat (on 6 planes, the 4 others having NEV4). Unfortunately, this plane is very complicated to retrofit technically. The choice of the J seat is not made yet, they just started to work on it.

The P cabin will finally remain on the lower deck (it was rumored at one point that P would move to UD).There will be 2 or 3 rows of P. The future P will be very similar as the B77W one (curtains, etc) but likely with some significant differences (options are currently studied. Choice will be done according to the feasibility / cost. It is too early to make any statement about the final configuration). Also there might be new seats available on the market at the time, so they will make the decision based on what will be available at the time of the choice, but they will keep all main aspects of the 77W P seat which has made its success.

Planning : start beginning 2020 until 2022.

For the W seat in the A380, B777 and future planes, either they will choose the same seat as in the 789 or they may chose a recliner-type seat as SQ, LH, etc. Everything is open

JOON
I asked also questions about JOON. I can confirm that JOON will have 3 cabins (J, W and Y) - there were recently questions about J or no J, now we know for sure.

The A340 going to JOON will keep the NEV4 seats for J, but will have new W and Y seats. The IFE will be brand new, including in J NEV4.

The A350 for JOON will have new J seats (of course), and will be different from the AF mainline ones.

I, of course, expressed the customer concern about the very long time it takes for AF to retrofit the fleet and the inconsistency of products/configurations for the J cabins. AF is fully aware of this and admits that they could not go faster due mostly to not enough budget available. But they see this long timing also as an opportunity as they can choose newly developed seats and avoid the trap to finish a complete fleet retrofit with a single seat type but somewhat outdated at the end of the project.

Xeno, Zembla, KL803 and 13 others like this.

Last edited by Goldorak; Mar 12, 2018 at 1:55 pm
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:08 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Wow! Thanks a lot for taking your time to post this valuable information.

Some comments:
- By 2020 we will have too many different J products: NEV3/NEV4 - BEST - Stelia Equinox - Zodiac Optima. While I understand that every airplane's CASM as well as other revenue factors are different, having such an inconsistent J product (and especially on market with different types of equipment) will not be appreciated by many customers.

- You mentioned that the 789 is delivered with no BEST cabins. I was under the impression that the 789s had BEST

- Pushing the newest 77Ws to the end of the queue means that by 2021 - 2022 these planes might get one of the existing versions (BEST will be the oldest J configuration by then) or even a more economical yet more appealing seat type. Rather than focusing on getting a consistent product, this could lead to a new configuration being introduced and therefore keeping the vicious circle of inconsistent J configuration in the 77Ws

Last edited by SDQBound; Aug 11, 2017 at 7:24 am
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
B772
All B772 are already retrofitted with the BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat)

B789
Direct deliveries with no BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat, slightly smaller than the 777 one, due to fuselage width limitation)
sorry, but what does the "B789" statement above mean?

I included the B772 line to show that apparently "Best cabins" = "Zodiac Cirrus seat". So, if B789 is delivered without these...what is it delivered with???

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just saw that SDQBound was similarly perplexed by that statement!!!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
(...) For the W seat in the A380, B777 and future planes, either they will choose the same seat as in the 789 (...)

I hope you will find those information useful.
Very useful indeed. Thank you.

Can you remind us what the W seat will be on the 789?

P.S. Ooooops. The answer is in AF website: shell as usual. I was confused with another info I read here about reclining seats for new planes.

Last edited by carnarvon; Aug 11, 2017 at 8:07 am Reason: The answer is in AF website
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by SDQBound
(...) - You mentioned that the 789 is delivered with no BEST cabins. I was under the impression that the 789s had BEST (...)
I would bet for a typo.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
You mentioned that the 789 is delivered with no BEST cabins. I was under the impression that the 789s had BEST
Sorry it was a typo. Corrected.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by carnarvon
Can you remind us what the W seat will be on the 789?
It's a revamped version of the W seat we know. I only tested it for 5 min during one of the inaugural 789 flights and I think they did well this time as the seat back is "reclining more" making it possible to sleep in (I think).
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:32 am

Merci Goldorâk ^

G
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
- By 2020 we will have too many different J products: NEV3/NEV4 - BEST - Stelia Equinox - Zodiac Optima. While I understand that every airplane's CASM as well as other revenue factors are different, having such an inconsistent J product (and especially on market with different types of equipment) will not be appreciated by many customers.
I'm not sure how big of an issue that really is. DL already operates this way... The 757s, 767s, 777s, A330s, and A350s all have different seat types, with only the soon to be retired 747s sharing with the A330. As long as it's lie flat with direct aisle access, I suspect most people are reasonably satisfied. (Each seat type has its own pros and cons of course, I'm just speaking in the aggregate.)

I'd be more worried about the AF A330 going 2-2-2 as a product inconsistency (along with the very lengthy timeframe to do the mods).
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
It's a revamped version of the W seat we know. I only tested it for 5 min during one of the inaugural 789 flights and I think they did well this time as the seat back is "reclining more" making it possible to sleep in (I think).
Any plans of expanding this seat to the remaining long haul fleet?

As much as I am a fan of W on day trips, I am getting increasingly annoyed about the seat for overnight flights.
Of late I have ignored my bank statements on a few occasions and booked J instead...
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Merci ! Good to know; wished AF moved faster but like you said.....those damn accountants....
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Milkman
Any plans of expanding this seat to the remaining long haul fleet?
Yes, read above
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Yes, read above
Sorry, had missed that part. Good news! Cheers!
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by bennos
I'm not sure how big of an issue that really is. DL already operates this way... The 757s, 767s, 777s, A330s, and A350s all have different seat types, with only the soon to be retired 747s sharing with the A330. As long as it's lie flat with direct aisle access, I suspect most people are reasonably satisfied. (Each seat type has its own pros and cons of course, I'm just speaking in the aggregate.)

I'd be more worried about the AF A330 going 2-2-2 as a product inconsistency (along with the very lengthy timeframe to do the mods).
I agree with you, if AF keeps a 1-2-1 lieflat with direct aisle access i think (most) people will be satisfied, and the argument that it enables them to use the newest on the market is understandable, and more so if it enables them to keep upgrading to better tech over different cycles (etc if/when they would want to redo 777 BEST)
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
I'm not flying AF usually, so apologies if I'm asking what everybody knows ...

I struggle to find information about J class on the A340-300. This bird is not listed in this thread and the latest information I can find is about "NEV4" being installed ... Now, I don't know what NEV4 is, but it seems to be an old angled flat seat, right? If so, are there any plans for replacing them? I've not flown on an angled flat seat for certainly two or three years, but my memories are not really positive ...

Any information about AF 343 J seating today, i.e. in 2017? FYI, I'm quite slim but very tall (2m) ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.