Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What will be JOON's first [last] routes?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Goldorak
slightly OT, but...be ready for the millennial shock : the safety video of Joon
Oh my goodness !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2UwiVAQX_8
I'm a Millennial, and I don't identify myself with the video. AF is having trouble understanding my generation's requirements.

They think all we are looking for is cheap flights and fun stuff, when we are actually luxury travel wannabes trying to snag cheap Business Class upgrades and a classy environment.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by SDQBound
AF is having trouble understanding my generation's requirements. They think all we are looking for is cheap flights and fun stuff, when we are actually luxury travel wannabes trying to snag cheap Business Class upgrades and a classy environment.
That pretty much sums it up nicely for the the average FlyerTalk user but not for the average traveller, who either flies business for work/own choice or simply goes for the cheapest fare without losing their will to live looking for mileage runs or stressing about qualification time-frames

That aside and with my apologies if this has already been mentioned - I understand that IKA is getting axed (possibly just for W18) and this is one of those routes which had been 'assigned' to Joon.

G
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
That aside and with my apologies if this has already been mentioned - I understand that IKA is getting axed (possibly just for W18) and this is one of those routes which had been 'assigned' to Joon.
Apologies noted and accepted
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29670894-post8.html
IKA becomes seasonal.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:04 pm

Apologies noted and accepted
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29670894-post8.html
IKA becomes seasonal.
Merci

G
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by brunos
Great that they introduced a large screen. It is a shame to see the screen size on most AF planes even in premium cabins.
Great that they introduced a reclining PE, rather than the awful non-reclining shell seat. Several airlines had introduced those shell seats in PE and quickly went through the big investment to replace them by reclining seats (CX and NH come to mind). AF was the dinosaur in the pack.

PE is improved E, not business. The line has to be drawn somewhere. Apparently PE pax get champagne on boarding. I have no problem that JN, a "lower cost" airline, charges for aperitif. It seems to me a reasonable cost cut and consistent with an economy fare.

As a frequent W flyer (not by choice), I am not sure that I agree with all you say here. Despite the complaints about the shell seat, I have always found it good for day time flights, and acceptable for night flights (with some extra cushioning...). The noise-cancelling headphones and effectively unlimited free drinks before/during/after mealtimes have also been very welcome, particularly on long flights. To lose both of these perks (I have never had champagne offered on boarding in W) is a significant loss, perhaps not too serious on a 5 hour flight to Cairo, but certainly on 9-10 hour flight to Mumbai. Coupled with the loss of award miles generally (and no lie-flat J seats on Joon if I self-upgrade), the attraction of flying AF is diminished for me. I have a lot of flying lined up (somewhat unexpectedly) over the next few years, enough to build up a good banl of XP for PFL. I may choose to avoid Joon routes and try for status in another ariline and simply maintain Gold with AFKL. I will have to see how entranced I am by the white sneakers whenI get to fly W in Joon in July!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
PE is improved E, not business. The line has to be drawn somewhere. <strong>Apparently PE pax get champagne on boarding</strong>. I have no problem that JN, a "lower cost" airline, charges for aperitif. It seems to me a reasonable cost cut and consistent with an economy fare.
I struggle to understand the tendency on FT to genuflect at the offering of a glass of (cheap) champagne as if it were a major product component. This board is not as bad as the BA board on champagne obsession but still... Offering a glass of champagne on boarding does not strike me as a significant product offering. It is a minor detail, imo. Yes, PE is improved economy rather than business but an improved catering service, including complimentary alcoholic drinks in-flight, is a standard feature of that improvement. Do you know many PE products in which one has to pay for an aperitif? Even Norwegian, an explicitly low-cost airline, offers complimentary drinks throughout the flight on its premium economy product.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by NickB
I struggle to understand the tendency on FT to genuflect at the offering of a glass of (cheap) champagne as if it were a major product component. This board is not as bad as the BA board on champagne obsession but still... Offering a glass of champagne on boarding does not strike me as a significant product offering. It is a minor detail, imo. Yes, PE is improved economy rather than business but an improved catering service, including complimentary alcoholic drinks in-flight, is a standard feature of that improvement. Do you know many PE products in which one has to pay for an aperitif? Even Norwegian, an explicitly low-cost airline, offers complimentary drinks throughout the flight on its premium economy product.
+1.

G
Old May 8, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by Leadership
I have just published (in french) my trip report on Joon's inaugural flight to Cape Town in Business Class.
This is probably the most comprehensive review to date, any question please let me know here

https://flight-report.com/en/report/31766/Joon-AF864-Paris-CDG-Cape-Town-CPT

Thank you for the detailed trip report, photos and video! My family is traveling in Business to Cape Town in August from the US. The Joon flight offered a perfect connection time and an arrival a full day prior to the other connecting options (LHR or DXB). I had not heard of Joon when booking and as we are a group of 13 it took a bit of research before I was comfortable booking. It looks like it really is a nice refresh of the A340 even if the business class seat is not cutting edge.
af fp likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: MUCCI
I simply don't get Joon. Air France flew a beautiful B787 CAI-CDG: it departed at a civilised hour, the seats were as close to divine as an airplane seat could get, and the onboard service was - IMHO - impeccable.AF became my airline of choice, even when flying to London.

Joon on the other hand: departs at a horrible 01.05, which means you don't go to bed the night before and you arrive at your destination dead to the world, having tried to sleep with your ankles locked and braced in a vain attempt to stop you sliding down an an angle flat bed on a venerable A340. The cabin crew are young and enthusiastic, to my mind perhaps just a little too enthusiastic. The catering was so-so, I won't slag it off too much. And for all this, it seems to me that the fares have gone up, despite an inferior offering.

As I said, I just don't get it.

I am giving the airline one more try, tomorrow, flying from Cairo to the F1 race in Monaco via CDG. If that doesn't provide me with a more mellow appreciation of Joon, it may have to be Royal Jordanian via Amman, which also doesn't have fully flat seats, but gives a very honest level of service on a daylight flight, where the bed is less required.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by mtdd
I simply don't get Joon. Air France flew a beautiful B787 CAI-CDG: it departed at a civilised hour [...] Joon on the other hand: departs at a horrible 01.05
IIRC, the AF B787 was also departing CAI at that time.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: MUCCI
IIRC, the AF B787 was also departing CAI at that time.
My last pre-Joon flight was in March, as follows:

AF0503 Cairo - Egypt, Cairo International Airport - Terminal 2 (CAI)21/03/2018 at 07:15 Paris - France, Aéroport Charles de Gaulle - Terminal 2E (CDG)
Old May 23, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by mtdd
My last pre-Joon flight was in March, as follows:

AF0503 Cairo - Egypt, Cairo International Airport - Terminal 2 (CAI)21/03/2018 at 07:15 Paris - France, Aéroport Charles de Gaulle - Terminal 2E (CDG)
so it changed, because when AF put the 787 on this route, it was departing CAI around 1 am.
Old May 23, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold

so it changed, because when AF put the 787 on this route, it was departing CAI around 1 am.
Schedule is 1am for summer Season and 7:15 for winter season depending if there is 1hr time différence between cairo ans Paris.

Well, at least it was the rule before...

Last edited by canadavid; May 23, 2018 at 7:38 am
Old May 23, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by nomiiiii

Saudi lounge access in cairo airport
How was the champagne? And the selection of red wines?
Old May 23, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
How was the champagne? And the selection of red wines?
Well, it has to be either "subliminally ecstatic as if one was in a dream" or "eminently forgettable, so much so that one literally does not remember drinking any" depending on the kind of perspective you want to adopt.
Fabo.sk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.