Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting at CDG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, SWA, EL AL, JetBlue
Question Connecting at CDG

In a few weeks, my party of eleven (11) people is scheduled to arrive from JFK on AirFrance AF23 at TERMINAL 2E at Charles De Gaulle Airport at 5:45am (local time). Our connecting flight is scheduled to depart just about an hour later from TERMINAL 2F on AirFrance AF1394 at 6:55am. Passenger 'JOURNEY time' from our arriving flight's gate to our departing flight's gate is estimated on the CDG website to be up to forty (40) minutes, depending on a flight's arrival and departure gates. How realistic is the likelihood of making the connection?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:27 pm

That is a pretty tight timeline. I recall having a connection of 1.25 hours in Asia and was advised to change flight in case there was any delay between take off or landing.

I made the decision to change flight because if I missed the connection, I have to wait another 15 hours for the next flight.

Perhaps you have better luck and there is minimal delay in CDG? Good luck!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by srlevine
In a few weeks, my party of eleven (11) people is scheduled to arrive from JFK on AirFrance AF23 at TERMINAL 2E at Charles De Gaulle Airport at 5:45am (local time). Our connecting flight is scheduled to depart just about an hour later from TERMINAL 2F on AirFrance AF1394 at 6:55am. Passenger 'JOURNEY time' from our arriving flight's gate to our departing flight's gate is estimated on the CDG website to be up to forty (40) minutes, depending on a flight's arrival and departure gates. How realistic is the likelihood of making the connection?
It's do-able, but I personally don't like less than 2 hours for that transit. Things can happen. If you arrive at the M hall and need to take the shuttle to the main terminal...well I've seen travelers sweating bullets because they found a line of a hundred people in front of them at the shuttle stop.
Last month, we were stopped for 20 minutes at the entrance to 2F - it was an unattended bag evacuation. Btw, on that trip I had originally scheduled a 135 minute layover. AF changed that short haul departure and rebooked me with a 60 minute connection. I called and they changed me to a later flight (3 hour layover) with no charge. 60 minutes is MCT, but even the phone agent knew that's wildly optimistic.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:59 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Hi srlevine. I'm going to move this to our France destination forum, where you'll get more advice from experienced CDG travelers.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Information Desk
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by srlevine
It is feasible but will be very tight. You will need to ask your fellow travelers to be cooperative and disciplined : no toilet stop, no picture of the plane when disembarking , everyone has passport ready, etc. Try to have everyone seated in the same zone in the JFK-originating flight.
can you tell us what is your final destination, after the CDG connection ?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
AF is not going to ever advertise the percentage of their 1 hour connecting passengers who actually make, or who do not make their connecting flights but I would be very curious to know.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:57 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Tamino
AF is not going to ever advertise the percentage of their 1 hour connecting passengers who actually make, or who do not make their connecting flights but I would be very curious to know.
I would assume the percentage of passengers making the connections will be significantly higher, as it is not unusual for AF to hold flights for connecting passengers or passengers delayed at immigration/security.

My last 4 TATL departures have been delayed due to this.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
I have exactly the same question as the OP with one difference. I would be arriving in Terminal 1 on UA and would have at least 2 bags checked. I am concerned that I would have retrieve bags from UA in Terminal 1 and then recheck them to ultimate destination over in Terminal 2. Finally, I will have a carry-on bag that should be fine on UA but I have heard that AF has stricter carry-on standards and that it may also have to be checked. I am assuming that I will have to clear immigration and customs upon arrival in Terminal 1.

Any and all guidance on the following questions would be greatly appreciated:

How much time should I allow between flights?
Am I correct that I will have to clear immigration and customs upon arrival in T1.
If so, am I correct that I have to pick up my bags in T1 and carry them over to T2 to recheck them on AF.
What is the risk that AF will require me to check my carry-on?
If I have to check my carry-on, will they tell me at the counter when I check the others, or will I only find out when I head to the gate for boarding?
Anything else I should worry about? (sorry if I sound paranoid, but I have had 2 bad experiences at CDG recently)
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:27 pm

4 hours miniumum, 5 would be even better. If you are traveling on a first class ticket, these times may be reduced.

Am I correct that I will have to clear immigration and customs upon arrival in T1.

Yes, If you are not traveling on a single PNR or ticket, you will need to enter as a regular arriving passenger and depart as a regular departing passenger. Customs is not generally a problem. Recent reports of waits as long as 2 hours at passport control have been numerous.

If so, am I correct that I have to pick up my bags in T1 and carry them over to T2 to recheck them on AF

Yes

AF´s carry on limitations are much less generous than those of US air carriers.

If I have to check my carry-on, will they tell me at the counter when I check the others, or will I only find out when I head to the gate for boarding?

Agents at check-in should advise you of their carryon policies. Agents at security will weight and measure any bags they think are too large/heavy
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:47 pm

Thank you - extremely helpful!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
can you tell us what is your final destination, after the CDG connection ?
Indeed, very important detail for the OP - and not answered yet. If the final destination is one of those with an AF flight from CDG every few hours you can simply stop worrying. If you don't make that (short) connection, all you will lose is a few hours in the airport...

And with a group of 11 there might be a chance that AF actually holds the plane for you, if the delay is reasonable and there is no other flight with availability not too much after that.

Last edited by Koby; Jul 13, 2017 at 10:45 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SDQBound
I would assume the percentage of passengers making the connections will be significantly higher, as it is not unusual for AF to hold flights for connecting passengers or passengers delayed at immigration/security.

My last 4 TATL departures have been delayed due to this.
This is true. My last two return flights (TATL) were held 30 - 45 minutes for connecting passengers.
But I'm not so sure about intra-Europe short hauls.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Koby
. If the final destination is one of those with an AF flight from CDG every few hours you can simply stop worrying. If you don't make that (short) connection, all you will lose is a few hours in the airport...

I believe that the official contract of carriage language is that in the event you miss your connecting flight, you will be booked on the next available flight which may or may not be the next scheduled flight. During busy travel periods, the next available flight could be the following day, regardless of how many scheduled flights there may be.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by 02BNFR
I have exactly the same question as the OP with one difference. I would be arriving in Terminal 1 on UA and would have at least 2 bags checked. I am concerned that I would have retrieve bags from UA in Terminal 1 and then recheck them to ultimate destination over in Terminal 2. Finally, I will have a carry-on bag that should be fine on UA but I have heard that AF has stricter carry-on standards and that it may also have to be checked. I am assuming that I will have to clear immigration and customs upon arrival in Terminal 1.

Any and all guidance on the following questions would be greatly appreciated:

If so, am I correct that I have to pick up my bags in T1 and carry them over to T2 to recheck them on AF.
Anything else I should worry about? (sorry if I sound paranoid, but I have had 2 bad experiences at CDG recently)
You didn't give us the most important informations : all on one ticket or 2 separate tickets. If the former, then your bags will be checked through until final destination. For your carry-on : the info given by other posters is correct. If you travel with the kind of carry-on most American travelers have (like if you were moving your entire house ), then you may be requested to check it.
If 2 separate tickets, then you are not protected and you need to plan ample times between the 2. UA will very likely check your bags only to CDG so you need to claim them and re-check with the next carrier.
Clearing immigration and customs in CDG ? As you didn't tell us where you are connecting, we cannot answer this. Only certitude is that if you are on 2 separate tickets, then for sure you'll have to clear immigration and customs in CDG.

Indeed, very important detail for the OP - and not answered yet. If the final destination is one of those with an AF flight from CDG every few hours you can simply stop worrying. If you don't make that (short) connection, all you will lose is a few hours in the airport...
That's exactly what I had in mind asking this question

And with a group of 11 there might be a chance that AF actually holds the plane for you, if the delay is reasonable and there is no other flight with availability not too much after that.
AF will take the decision based indeed on availability on the next flight(s). If there is availability on the one or 2 next flights, they won't hold the originally-booked flight.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:16 pm

Thanks for the additional info.

To answer your questions, the final destination is usually Montpellier, and I have assumed that it would be 2 tix, the first one on UA and the second one on AF.

Because of the hassle I have had at CDG in the past, I have gotten in the habit of taking the TGV down to Montpellier. That works fine, but usually I have to wait a couple of hours for the train and the train itself is usually 3-1/2 hours. I usually arrive in Montpellier approximately 6-1/2 to 7 hours after landing at CDG. I am just wondering if it would be quicker to fly on AF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.