Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$22 Service Fee for Fully Refundable Ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
$22 Service Fee for Fully Refundable Ticket?

Hi folks,

I recently cancelled one of my flights on Air France, a fully refundable fare. I did it online to avoid a fee they would charge for a phone agent to do it manually.

I got the credit back on my credit card, however, I saw they charged a $22 "service fee" per ticket for this. Is this normal? If so, it seems there's no way of avoiding all fees (even if one were to do it all online).
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
I booked a ticket with a flexible fare code with the Plat line and they mentioned that those fees weren't refundable.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
"Fully refundable" means that the ticket can be refunded.

It doesn't mean you get any/all other fees waived. [Fully refundable tickets are still subject to all usual fees/charges - excess baggage, à la carte meals, etc. Just because you opted for a refundable ticket, doesn't mean that it is also free of charge to refund it]
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well the question is -- where is this fee disclosed, during the purchase process, or in the contract of carriage, if at all?
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Did you book the ticket on line or by phone?

If by phone, there is a service fee which might not be refundable.

Anyway, you can call them to be sure.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well the question is -- where is this fee disclosed, during the purchase process, or in the contract of carriage, if at all?
All optional fees are listed on the website: http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/local/...istrative-fees
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I agree with what the OP is implicitly saying: a fully refundable ticket should be fully refundable with no fees. If these's a fee for processing the refund, this should at least be disclosed in the fare rules and the ticket should not be marketed as fully refundable in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.