FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   Throwaway Ticket on AirFrance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1844182-throwaway-ticket-airfrance.html)

expatsandbegats May 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Throwaway Ticket on AirFrance

Flying AirFrance from Boston to Paris, accidentally booked a wrong ticket which continues on to Munich. AF is telling us that if we do not board the leg from Paris to Munich that they will cancel our return flights from Paris to Boston. Is that they case with AF or could I possibly just 'throw away ticket' for last leg and remain in Paris?

Ditto May 23, 2017 1:53 pm

If you miss a segment, all following segments will be cancelled, if you want to go to Paris you will need to modify the ticket so that is is BOS-CDG instead of BOS-MUC...

Merlinrnr May 23, 2017 1:59 pm

Yes everything after the flight you miss will be automatically cancelled. Depending on the change fees you may be better off booking a separate ticket from Munich back to Paris or perhaps even take the train.

Often1 May 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Maybe your question is a bit unclear. You ask about the "last segment"

But, you may stay in Paris. You simply will have all remaining segments of the ticket cancelled when you no show for CDG-MUC. This includes the return to BOS.

Your ticket will then retain whatever value it retains after a no show. For most tickets that will be $0.

expatsandbegats May 23, 2017 2:43 pm

Thanks for the clarification. So throwaway tickets strategies are only for a return flight or one ways where the last segment is the last of the itinerary, not just the last of that direction.

FlyerWx May 23, 2017 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by expatsandbegats (Post 28350487)
So throwaway tickets strategies are only for a return flight or one ways where the last segment is the last of the itinerary, not just the last of that direction.

And, of course, it gets complicated if there are IRROPS or if you check bags.

Yoshi212 May 23, 2017 3:53 pm

This sounds a bit intentional and playing catchup on the rules.

irishguy28 May 23, 2017 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 (Post 28350767)
This sounds a bit intentional and playing catchup on the rules.

+1

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

ranskis May 23, 2017 4:53 pm

You should be able to ask to reissue the ticket at the fare you want to travel without any change fee, since technically you don't book any new flight, you just travel part of the itinerary purchased so they should reassess the fare for the new itinerary and either charge the difference either refund the difference (or provide a travel credit if the fare is non refundable).

OK, that is the theory... then you might need a lot of patience and luck to get this through. I did it once successfully through the platinum line, without claiming the fare difference on the non refundable ticket, however instead of processing the "out of sequence reissue", they just made an involuntary reissue. Easier for everyone.

The conditions of carriage are unclear in case you ask in advance to use part of the ticket, they are however clear regarding fees charged without advanced notice. There has been rulings against LH in such cases which concluded that for partial use of a ticket, LH can make sure the fare paid does not undercut the fare of the new itinerary.

Goldorak May 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by ranskis (Post 28350977)
You should be able to ask to reissue the ticket at the fare you want to travel without any change fee, since technically you don't book any new flight, you just travel part of the itinerary purchased so they should reassess the fare for the new itinerary and either charge the difference either refund the difference (or provide a travel credit if the fare is non refundable).

OK, that is the theory... then you might need a lot of patience and luck to get this through. I did it once successfully through the platinum line, without claiming the fare difference on the non refundable ticket, however instead of processing the "out of sequence reissue", they just made an involuntary reissue. Easier for everyone.

The conditions of carriage are unclear in case you ask in advance to use part of the ticket, they are however clear regarding fees charged without advanced notice. There has been rulings against LH in such cases which concluded that for partial use of a ticket, LH can make sure the fare paid does not undercut the fare of the new itinerary.

I doubt the OP will be successful to have the change fee waived. Your own story with the Platinum line does not apply to OP I'm afraid. Indeed, the Plat line is often very nice with Plat customers by waiving some fees when they feel it's justified. I experienced that too with them (and I reported that story in another thread). So the Plat line is going the extra-mile for the best customers of the airline, but that doesn't apply to the majority of travelers.

Mirk May 24, 2017 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 28351134)
I doubt the OP will be successful to have the change fee waived. Your own story with the Platinum line does not apply to OP I'm afraid. Indeed, the Plat line is often very nice with Plat customers by waiving some fees when they feel it's justified. I experienced that too with them (and I reported that story in another thread). So the Plat line is going the extra-mile for the best customers of the airline, but that doesn't apply to the majority of travelers.

+1
Following a long discussion with an agent on the Plat line, they are allowed to go an additional mile for the Ultimates :)

brunos May 24, 2017 8:51 am

Frankly, the change fee is not the major concern for the OP.
"Accidentally booking a wrong ticket" to Munich, while the OP wishes to stop in Paris will probably entail a significant repricing. Clearly the OP needs to use the return TATL leg CDG-BOS. And I cannot think of an airline that will allow to simply drop two segments, or even one, in the middle of an itinerary.

LondonElite May 24, 2017 8:59 am

This is clearly a case of poorly informed intentional hidden-city ticketing. Any change to stay in Paris only will be expensive.

Often1 May 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 28353611)
This is clearly a case of poorly informed intentional hidden-city ticketing. Any change to stay in Paris only will be expensive.

+1 - This sounds like hidden city, not throwaway ticketing. The notion that AF will reprice in OP's favor is highly unlikely. If this was hidden city ticketing, it would have been because BOS-MUC was cheaper than BOS-CDG. If OP drops BOS-CDG, repricing likely results in a change fee and a substantial fare increase.

Best bet here is to continue on to MUC and buy a cheap round-trip MUC-CDG-MUC so OP can spend his time in Paris.

Goldorak May 24, 2017 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mirk (Post 28352509)
+1
Following a long discussion with an agent on the Plat line, they are allowed to go an additional mile for the Ultimates :)

not only for Ulti, but for "regular" platinums also.