Wiki Posts
Search

1:25 min. layover in CDG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy 1:25 min. layover in CDG

Hello All!

My husband and I are traveling from Atlanta to Athens with Paris (CDG) as our connecting flight in mid-May with the airline Air France. We only have 1:25 min. layover in CDG. When booking the flight, I didn't realize (or think about it) that we'd have to go through passport control.
Will this 1 hr 25 min layover be long enough?! What will happen if we miss our flight?? As a reference, we booked both flights off Air France's web site so they are together not separate flights. Should I try to cancel Air France to see about getting an earlier flight that departs from Atlanta? Even if there be a huge up charge for doing so?

Our arrival time to Athens is supposed to be 4:50 with a flight leaving out of Athens to Santorini at 7:50 with Aegean Airlines.. so this is another reason why I am stressing.

Thoughts anyone on what to do??
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by LisaB1990
Hello All!

My husband and I are traveling from Atlanta to Athens with Paris (CDG) as our connecting flight in mid-May with the airline Air France. We only have 1:25 min. layover in CDG. When booking the flight, I didn't realize (or think about it) that we'd have to go through passport control.
Will this 1 hr 25 min layover be long enough?! What will happen if we miss our flight?? As a reference, we booked both flights off Air France's web site so they are together not separate flights. Should I try to cancel Air France to see about getting an earlier flight that departs from Atlanta? Even if there be a huge up charge for doing so?

Our arrival time to Athens is supposed to be 4:50 with a flight leaving out of Athens to Santorini at 7:50 with Aegean Airlines.. so this is another reason why I am stressing.

Thoughts anyone on what to do??
if your incoming flight is more or less on time, you have no problem changing in CDG with 85 minutes. If you miss your flight, you are put on the next one. You pass security and immigration in Paris. Wait times are hit and miss from zero to up to an hour. I would leave it as it is. Just relax. My last 6 transfers in CDG between the same terminals as your transfer were all under 30 minutes. Last week zero wait time.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:12 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
As thie issue raised by the OP is related to a connection at AF's hub, I will move this thread to the Air France forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
France forum moderator
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
It'll be OK. Even with the worst case of immigration taking an hour you'll get to your gate in time.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by MarLim
if your incoming flight is more or less on time, you have no problem changing in CDG with 85 minutes. If you miss your flight, you are put on the next one. You pass security and immigration in Paris. Wait times are hit and miss from zero to up to an hour. I would leave it as it is. Just relax. My last 6 transfers in CDG between the same terminals as your transfer were all under 30 minutes. Last week zero wait time.
I fully agree. Leave it as it is.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:22 am

But do you have a back-up plan for your flight to Santorini? Because that is where your real risk is in this plan...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Welcome to FT!

Originally Posted by LisaB1990
I'm assuming that the Aegean flight was booked separately? This means that if you would miss it, the ticket would be lost.

You have enough time to be able to handle a delay with AF1832 to ATH, however a delay with your flight from ATL may make you miss AF1832. In that case AF will rebook you for free, however the next flight is AF1032 which arrives close to midnight in ATH - too late to continue on to Santorini.

What you could do is, if the flight out of ATL is in fact delayed, to change the Aegean flight to the next morning when the new AF tickets to ATH are confirmed at CDG. This is not totally without risk as these flights are sometimes fully booked one day before departure - but at least it is a form of backup.

If you want to be sure you could also book backup flights from now (ATH to Santorini with Aegean or Ryanair) - throwing those away if everything is on time. Or just move your existing Aegean flight to the next morning, accept that you have one night in ATH in any case, and have peace of mind.

Alternatively changing to an earlier flight out ATL may be easier, but most likely also the most expensive option. It would be worth a call to AF to ask about pricing, though.

Last edited by Xandrios; Apr 28, 2017 at 12:47 pm
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1.25 is a very common xfr 2E to 2F. As everyone here says unless something extraordinary occurs you should be fine. And you'd be protected to Athens in any event. As always, your onward travel plans can get dominoed of course.
Personally, because I'm dependant not just on CDG but also my departure airport - usually SFO - getting my flight out on time, I book more time for xfrs at CDG. (I have lounge access at CDG and I positively loathe rushing through airports. A 3 hour layover is preferable to me to a 90 minute one.)
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:05 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by rickg523
1.25 is a very common xfr 2E to 2F. As everyone here says unless something extraordinary occurs you should be fine. And you'd be protected to Athens in any event. As always, your onward travel plans can get dominoed of course.
Personally, because I'm dependant not just on CDG but also my departure airport - usually SFO - getting my flight out on time, I book more time for xfrs at CDG. (I have lounge access at CDG and I positively loathe rushing through airports. A 3 hour layover is preferable to me to a 90 minute one.)
I completely agree. That walk from 2E to 2F can seem very long. Also, there have been too many times when the flight from LAX has landed on time only to have to park a long distance from the terminal, wait for the bus to arrive, load the bus and ride to the terminal. When that happens, we are nervous wrecks praying that we will make our connection. We have always made it, but just barely. Not going through that again. Much prefer to walk leisurely to the other terminal and relax a for 3 hours in the lounge
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Such a long itin with two connections is always source of worries.
But your connection time in CDG (and ATH) is reasonable provided immigration is not overcrowded.
Personally I would have padded more time in CDG, but it is too late to worry. Just relax and see what happens, as you have a good chance to make it.

The only reason for worry is if you arrive in ATH too late for your A3 flight. It is on separate tickets and A3 has no obligation to rebook you the next morning. But they are used to pax missing a connection and should be flexible.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
But they are used to pax missing a connection and should be flexible.
That's quite a statement...

Do you know this for a fact, or are you just assuming? Because most (European) airlines that I know will simply follow the rules of the ticket: if you buy a non-flexible ticket they will be happy to sell you an expensive new ticket for the next flight, but nothing more. (There might be exceptions when the entire airline system breaks downs because of strikes, winter weather, volcanoes etc., but not for a simple delay on another airline and ticket.)
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:52 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
There are 3 hours in between flights in ATH. How often are European flights delayed by that much? Even if the flight would go tech at CDG they would probably be able to arrange an alternative within those 3 hours. The transfer at ATH is extremely easy and does not require exiting the secure zone - the OP can just walk from arrival gate to departing gate in less than 10 minutes (assuming hand luggage only).

I'd worry more about missing the flight at CDG and thus miss the Aegean one. While Aegean won't rebook for free if the flight is missed, the OP can rebook the tickets while in CDG (if needed) for a fee. Assuming there is availability the next morning that approach would only have costs associated in case the flight from ATL is actually delayed - which is a pretty small chance anyway. All Aegean tickets are at least semi-flexible for a fee.

Last edited by Xandrios; Apr 29, 2017 at 4:57 am
Old May 1, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Xandrios
There are 3 hours in between flights in ATH. How often are European flights delayed by that much? Even if the flight would go tech at CDG they would probably be able to arrange an alternative within those 3 hours. The transfer at ATH is extremely easy and does not require exiting the secure zone - the OP can just walk from arrival gate to departing gate in less than 10 minutes (assuming hand luggage only).

I'd worry more about missing the flight at CDG and thus miss the Aegean one. While Aegean won't rebook for free if the flight is missed, the OP can rebook the tickets while in CDG (if needed) for a fee. Assuming there is availability the next morning that approach would only have costs associated in case the flight from ATL is actually delayed - which is a pretty small chance anyway. All Aegean tickets are at least semi-flexible for a fee.
Or if all that fails, just stay overnight in Athens and take the ferry the next morning from Athens to Santoroni. Travel insurance will cover the costs of the missed connection, including the missed night in Santorini.

Tickets for the ferries can be bought on the day and it's a lovely way to reach the island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.