Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF strike on March 7th?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
My understanding is that Paris ATC is also affected and airlines like BA have already cancelled a proportion of their flights to/from CDG and ORY.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by orbitmic
My understanding is that Paris ATC is also affected and airlines like BA have already cancelled a proportion of their flights to/from CDG and ORY.
My understanding is that strike happens in the Brest, Bordeaux and Marseille FIRs. Which explains why BA cancels flights, many of its flight would transit Brest FIR.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
My understanding is that strike happens in the Brest, Bordeaux and Marseille FIRs. Which explains why BA cancels flights, many of its flight would transit Brest FIR.
It is indeed not the Paris ATC but access as many routes into ORY and CDG approach through the Brest area. The rest is a bit more complicated: Brest and Bordeaux are on strike from tomorrow to the 10th, the Aix ATC people are only on strike from Tuesday to Thursday.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 3:07 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Off to JNB in a few minutes and back on the 11th. Lucky me
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:15 pm

Can an Air France ticket be endorsed to the High Speed Train? Especially since airlines share flight numbers with the SNCF and Deutch Bahn(Lufthansa)I think that should be an option airlines should look into. If the rail system is on strike you could get on a flight pending there is availability and vice versa. What if you call Air France and ask them to rebook you on a SNCF codeshare such as AF 3000 operated by SNCF? All business class passengers are accommodated in First Class and all economy class passengers are accommodated in second class but can pay the difference to upgrade to First Class.

SNCF could add more trains.

Since the air portion is on strike you could switch it to the train. Would save a lot of intra France and EU travelers the hassle or at least get a 25 percent discount for showing your ticket if you had to pay for the rail on your own and get reimbursed later.

For those passengers on international segments they could be switched to KLM/Delta and even other non Sky Team airlines if need be.

Heck if I were in this situation where my flight was cancelled due to a strike my first course of action would be to reserve a seat on the train and get reimbursed for my ticket after securing a seat on a train. Beats going from the center of town to the center of town and perhaps I could save money on my rental car by picking it up from the city center.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by danielonn; Mar 5, 2017 at 5:24 pm
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is indeed not the Paris ATC but access as many routes into ORY and CDG approach through the Brest area. The rest is a bit more complicated: Brest and Bordeaux are on strike from tomorrow to the 10th, the Aix ATC people are only on strike from Tuesday to Thursday.
An interesting map posted in the BA forum, post #24:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ar-17-a-2.html

Brest seems to be an important ATC center for CDG (West access).
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:12 pm
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31
And I'm flying GRU-CDG-LIS on the 7th/8th. Double luck
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Air France does not rebook you on trains. The integration of Air and Rail is very poor in France, only very few high speed trains go to CDG airport, and large cities are connected only at irregular intervals.

Lufthansa reboots pax on trains during strikes, for domestic and select international destinations.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 4:30 am

one of my favourite countries!! Enjoy!!! ^^
Old Mar 6, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
While Corsica wasn't affected by the strike, very violent winds pretty much grounded the evening rotations on all four island airports. I was lucky enough to already be booked on an afternoon flight via NCE before flying to ORY (though crosswind landings in an ATR are far from confortable). XK already had to take care of a large number of people this evening so they will be praying for as little disruption as possible with Marseille FIR.

I will be US-bound Friday afternoon, i do hope to avoid delays from CDG...
Old Mar 6, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Air France does not rebook you on trains. The integration of Air and Rail is very poor in France, only very few high speed trains go to CDG airport, and large cities are connected only at irregular intervals.

Lufthansa reboots pax on trains during strikes, for domestic and select international destinations.
So if I know about an upcoming strike I should then proactively book myself on a train and get the refund from AF?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by danielonn
So if I know about an upcoming strike I should then proactively book myself on a train and get the refund from AF?
No.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by tff
And I'm flying GRU-CDG-LIS on the 7th/8th.
However, a frustrating routing actually
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
one of my favourite countries!! Enjoy!!! ^^
Thanks . Currently discovering and enjoying CPT !
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Thanks . Currently discovering and enjoying CPT !
No Poire Williams but great wines at low price .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.