Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

"Please turn off all devices, due to autopilot landing'' Here we go again,.. or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Please turn off all devices, due to autopilot landing'' Here we go again,.. or not?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

This was annouced prior to landing on AF into CDG this afternoon. Visibility wasn't very good.
But what does turning off all devices for an autopilot landing have to do with the influence of that current weather and the smog, to the computers of an aircraft?
Thanks in advance :-)

Last edited by Mcflyneo; Dec 10, 2016 at 2:40 pm
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Maybe a new IATA instruction? I flew Easyjet last week and noticed exactly the same announcement, for the first time.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
The opspecs of some airlines specify that personal electronic devices must be turned off when the plane is performing Category II or Category III ILS approaches. (These approaches are mostly used during very poor visibility, but are sometimes done in clear weather for currency.) Most airlines have updated their opspecs to eliminate that requirement, but I imagine a few have been slow to drop it.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:10 pm

Same on SK, twice in the last couple of weeks while approaching GDN from CPH.

G
Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Had this landing at DUS last weekend. The FA made me remove my noise cancelling headphones.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Electronic emissions can theoretically influence some of the avionics used for the auto landing.

Better safe than sorry, even if it's only a one in a million chance it could cause a problem.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Anne Smithson
This was annouced prior to landing on AF into CDG this afternoon. Visibility wasn't very good.
But what does turning off all devices for an autopilot landing have to do with the influence of that current weather and the smog, to the computers of an aircraft?
Thanks in advance :-)
Why not leave it on just to see? After all, it is only your life, and the lives of the other passengers, that you may be putting in danger!
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Apologist
Why not leave it on just to see? After all, it is only your life, and the lives of the other passengers, that you may be putting in danger!
I could have yes, but then the thread would be named "I left my phone on during CAT II or III landing, and nothing happend?" But fortunately you can count on me to follow crew instructions and trying to save your life when an event occurs.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wager that any number of devices are left on, intentionally or inadvertently, on flights every single day. This has no doubt been going ever since all these devices were invented, without any lives having been lost that I know of.

Johan
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I wager that any number of devices are left on, intentionally or inadvertently, on flights every single day. This has no doubt been going ever since all these devices were invented, without any lives having been lost that I know of.

Johan
You are free to wager your own life for fun all day long. But what gives you the right to wager the lives of the other passengers?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

No, this argument has never been seen on FT before.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are free to wager your own life for fun all day long. But what gives you the right to wager the lives of the other passengers?
I don't, but since you don't get my point, allow me to explain again:

Human beings are not infallible. Despite the best intentions, people forget to switch their phones off, or forget to set them to airplane mode. I know I've done it, I have no doubt whatsover that others beyond counting have done so too, and that it continues to happen every day. Most likely on just about every flight. If any of these many devices has ever caused a CAT II/III landing to end in a fiery crash, then please do tell. I've never heard of one.

If the potential risk still leaves you in fear of your life, you should restrict your flying to the few airlines that have still not updated their opspecs to eliminate this pointless requirement. Once they do, you will have to consider walking to your destination instead. Just be careful when crossing the street, the sky might fall down on you.

Johan
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I don't, but since you don't get my point, allow me to explain again:

Human beings are not infallible. Despite the best intentions, people forget to switch their phones off, or forget to set them to airplane mode. I know I've done it, I have no doubt whatsover that others beyond counting have done so too, and that it continues to happen every day. Most likely on just about every flight. If any of these many devices has ever caused a CAT II/III landing to end in a fiery crash, then please do tell. I've never heard of one.

If the potential risk still leaves you in fear of your life, you should restrict your flying to the few airlines that have still not updated their opspecs to eliminate this pointless requirement. Once they do, you will have to consider walking to your destination instead. Just be careful when crossing the street, the sky might fall down on you.

Johan
It looks like we are dealing with people who are not able, or simply refuse, to pay attention to detail.

If you took the time to read the heading of the thread, you would have known that we are discussing a situation in which it was announced that all of the devices should be turned off. If you fail to turn your device off after the announcement was made, you are either deaf or are intentionally breaking the rules.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
I If you fail to turn your device off after the announcement was made, you are either deaf or are intentionally breaking the rules.
Or asleep. Or in the washroom and you intended to turn it off when you got back to your seat but forgot. Or you put your phone into the overhead bins with your carry on luggage and forgot that it isn't on airplane mode.

Why is it so hard to believe that even well-intentioned people can simply forget?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
It looks like we are dealing with people who are not able, or simply refuse, to pay attention to detail.

If you took the time to read the heading of the thread, you would have known that we are discussing a situation in which it was announced that all of the devices should be turned off. If you fail to turn your device off after the announcement was made, you are either deaf or are intentionally breaking the rules.
Come on. Some simple logic is needed here.

What about:

Passenger sleeping and did not hear it.
Those are talking to others and do not listen to announcement.
Those that try to listen, but can not understand what was said. Common.
Those with a different language.
Those that put their devices in the overhead and forgot they were still turned on.
Those that think their spouse turned it off, so they ignore it
etc
etc

Any or all of those are on your plane. Time to bend over and kiss it goodbye as the plane is about to nosedive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.