Constructive Criticism of La Premiere

Old Jan 23, 17, 2:33 pm

Programs: United 1k, BA Gold, LX Senator, Flying Blue Plat, IHG Plat. Ambassador, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Hi all - I can't recall seeing this discussed.
How many flight attendants serve first class? I would guess one primary, but there would likely need to be another one assisting during mealtimes, as I imagine there's a fair amount of galley work required to prep the food, and you wouldn't want the pax getting thirsty out there. Two dedicated FAs seems excessive, especially if the cabin isn't full.

Also, looks like there are two lavatories per the AF seat map - is that correct?
(I hated LX F with only one lav for eight pax!)
IIRC it was one flight attendant for a cabin of 4 on the 77W (I don't think there was someone in the galley). It worked fine for the flight with 3 of us in both directions.
On a full A380 there were 2 serving, and again not sure if there was one in the galley. That service was actually quite slow every time I've had it.

Regarding toilets on the 77W, the 2nd first class toilet was behind the "do not enter" part in the front of the plane- so there was only 1 toilet. But 1 for 4 people, knowing the pilots have their own, was never a problem. Much better than Swiss. One time on the A330 I literally had to change from my pajamas behind the curtain in the galley (the flight attendant insisted and it was near landing). Was NOT a first class experience!
Old Jan 23, 17, 3:00 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by XUPhilly View Post
IIRC it was one flight attendant for a cabin of 4 on the 77W (I don't think there was someone in the galley). It worked fine for the flight with 3 of us in both directions.
On a full A380 there were 2 serving, and again not sure if there was one in the galley. That service was actually quite slow every time I've had it.

Regarding toilets on the 77W, the 2nd first class toilet was behind the "do not enter" part in the front of the plane- so there was only 1 toilet. But 1 for 4 people, knowing the pilots have their own, was never a problem. Much better than Swiss. One time on the A330 I literally had to change from my pajamas behind the curtain in the galley (the flight attendant insisted and it was near landing). Was NOT a first class experience!
Last 380 I did we had two females and one male for three pax. They may not have been there the whole time of the flight but were certainly around whenever they were needed. Flying low over Paris coming into land the chap pointed out all the landmarks to me. I didn't tell him I saw them all last time on that route, it felt a bit ungrateful.
Old Jan 23, 17, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Hi all - I can't recall seeing this discussed.
How many flight attendants serve first class? I would guess one primary, but there would likely need to be another one assisting during mealtimes, as I imagine there's a fair amount of galley work required to prep the food, and you wouldn't want the pax getting thirsty out there. Two dedicated FAs seems excessive, especially if the cabin isn't full.

Also, looks like there are two lavatories per the AF seat map - is that correct?
(I hated LX F with only one lav for eight pax!)
Yes, 2 FA (one serving and one assisting in the galley). For the A388, you may have a 2nd FA assisting for the service if the cabin is full.
Toilets : only one for the P cabin. In the A388, you have a separate changing room.
Old Jan 24, 17, 2:32 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

I'd be interested if there was anywhere I could find out the wine list for La P flights in advance. Are they published at all? And about how often do they change?
Old Jan 25, 17, 8:40 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz 5*, Mas Gold, Best Western Diamond (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by lloydah View Post
I'd be interested if there was anywhere I could find out the wine list for La P flights in advance. Are they published at all? And about how often do they change?
That might be difficult. From my experience they can even differ between connecting flights.
Old Jan 25, 17, 9:08 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Zembla View Post
That might be difficult. From my experience they can even differ between connecting flights.
They do, yes. Just thought it would be interesting once in a while to know in advance and do some homework on those I didn't recognise. Perhaps the best way would be simply to taste all of them.
Old Jan 26, 17, 3:57 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by XUPhilly View Post
One time on the A330 I literally had to change from my pajamas behind the curtain in the galley (the flight attendant insisted and it was near landing). Was NOT a first class experience!
Oh yes, that is one of the worst things on LX

I've had that "change behind the curtains" experience more than once, especially on morning arrivals from North America, where people wanted to sleep in as long as possible and then everybody rushes to the toilet 25 minutes before landing.

And not only aren't there enough rest rooms, the one there is is also terribly small and unpractical! That's when you miss the Emirates A380 shower bathrooms, which are spacious and practical, even if you don't take a shower.

The worst bit is this: some time ago LX asked its passengers what they should do when they launch a "new" First seat on he B77W. People were surprised as to why LX would do that, the new First seat had only been out since some time and was considered one of the best in the air. But everybody said "more restrooms!". Guess what happened: still only one restroom, although to be fair there is another one for crew use which at times pax are allowed to use.
Old Jan 29, 17, 5:38 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
First world problem. Booking a flight from LHR to TYO via CDG using La Premiere. Do I go for one of the early departures from LHR on an A319 or similar and enjoy 4 hours or so in the lounge at CDG or go on the later departure from LHR and sample the 787 but only have 90 minutes available for the lounge?

I have elected to have more time in the lounge
Old Jan 29, 17, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by pomkiwi View Post
First world problem. Booking a flight from LHR to TYO via CDG using La Premiere. Do I go for one of the early departures from LHR on an A319 or similar and enjoy 4 hours or so in the lounge at CDG or go on the later departure from LHR and sample the 787 but only have 90 minutes available for the lounge?

you made the right decision
Old Jan 29, 17, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

Quite frankly, there would be a case for both options, and the short haul on the 789 would be vastly more pleasant than on an A32S. On balance, though, I agree 1h30 would make for a not very enjoyable transfer, though to me, 4 hours is a bit on the long side, even talking abut the AF P lounge (I guess my ideal would be abut 2h30 which is more than I would afford other lounges). BTW, I hope your trip is not during the forthcoming short lounge closure.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jan 29, 17 at 7:22 am
Old Jan 29, 17, 9:13 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
BTW, I hope your trip is not during the forthcoming short lounge closure.
No - towards the end of September...
Old Jan 29, 17, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA LT PLT
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
... BTW, I hope your trip is not during the forthcoming short lounge closure.
orbitmic, what are the dates of the short closure?
Old Jan 29, 17, 9:48 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
orbitmic, what are the dates of the short closure?
I understand it's closed currently then due to reopen 21st Feb. I hope there are no significant delays since I booked to use the facility again early April.

Last edited by rosensfole; Jan 29, 17 at 10:40 am
Old Jan 29, 17, 12:23 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Done exactly the same, mainly because I wanted the 787 but Mrs L wanted enough of the lounge for beauty treatments as well the champagne. Guess who won.
Old Jan 29, 17, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
you made the right decision
Yeah, 100%.

I haven't been in AF's short-haul business class in ~8 years, but I totally don't mind BA's seats for a 1-2 hour flight, and I think they have the new slimline seats with reduced legroom. I'm only ~5'8" (1.73m) though, so legroom isn't really my main issue in economy seats. (Of course, I would prefer if they had US-style domestic F seats...)

A 90 minute connection would seem to barely allow time for dining in the lounge.

Search this Thread