ADP (Paris Airport management) invests in faster border controls

Old Dec 22, 16, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
It sounds horrible, but is this the fault of ADP or the Interior Ministry? Maybe send a tweet to @Place_Beauvau

Happily I'm flying into LYS rather than CDG today. Unhappily I'm at LHR right now which beats out CDG for worst airport IMHO. Also massive queues here even at T3, but for the horrible security regime rather than immigration.
My daughter flew into Toulouse (from LHR) last saturday morning and it took her 25 min to clear immigration. My wife took 22 min midweek.\It used to take a couple of minutes for EU passports.
Old Dec 22, 16, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
2 days ago 2F-2L was a breeze in skypriority at around 08:30h, but probably around an hour wait for other pax. Only 1 (!!) police officer working all 4 lanes (Parafe, specials, sky and all others).

However, no controls in arriving into 2F.
Old Dec 22, 16, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by brunos View Post

My daughter flew into Toulouse (from LHR) last saturday morning and it took her 25 min to clear immigration. My wife took 22 min midweek.\It used to take a couple of minutes for EU passports.
I also had about 20-30 minutes or so yesterday at LYS. But that was because an AH plane arrived just before our delayed BA flight. There were two agents and both were working rather quickly. These flights were full due to the holidays. It's a busy time. Also with the holidays there are loads of families and the ones with babies cut the line naturally. But the agents refused to accommodate anyone else cutting the line. One queue for all pax. It was surprisingly well managed, but it would have been nicer to have two more agents.

Last edited by stimpy; Dec 22, 16 at 11:15 pm
Old Dec 22, 16, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
It sounds horrible, but is this the fault of ADP or the Interior Ministry? Maybe send a tweet to @Place_Beauvau

Happily I'm flying into LYS rather than CDG today. Unhappily I'm at LHR right now which beats out CDG for worst airport IMHO. Also massive queues here even at T3, but for the horrible security regime rather than immigration.
I didn't say it was ADP's fault or say anything about whose fault it was. I said CDG becomes very unpleasant to travel from/to again, just like in the past. I recognize that the bottleneck is the border police, but the effect is an unpleasant travel experience at CDG.

And talking to someone at Place Beauvau: I don't think they give a toss. The notion of "service to the public" is not very present in French public service, and that goes beyond the Ministry of the Interior. But then, if for all the taxes we pay we get this sh**t service, I don't want to know how much it would cost us to get a well functioning, efficient, effective and serving-the-public public service.
Old Dec 22, 16, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
I didn't say it was ADP's fault or say anything about whose fault it was. I said CDG becomes very unpleasant to travel from/to again, just like in the past. I recognize that the bottleneck is the border police, but the effect is an unpleasant travel experience at CDG.
So CDG and LHR are horrible these days. FRA and MUC have been strike prone lately. That leaves what? AMS and ZRH as the preferred major entry points into Europe?
Old Dec 22, 16, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
So CDG and LHR are horrible these days. FRA and MUC have been strike prone lately. That leaves what? AMS and ZRH as the preferred major entry points into Europe?
Sounds like it. I haven't traveled non-Schengen from/through AMS lately, what is the situation there? I remember it was chaos when they put in place the new security setup, but that is a long time ago and maybe things have improved by now.

Not sure what MAD looks like, or the smaller gateways like BRU and CPH.

ZRH is of course fantastic in one way - small, efficient, pleasant, clean, no transfer security controls when arriving from Schengen/UK/USA/Japan - but has many less destinations than CDG, FRA, LHR. So of limited use if you want to get there from Houston, Guangzhou or Buenos Aires.
Old Dec 23, 16, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
Sounds like it. I haven't traveled non-Schengen from/through AMS lately, what is the situation there? I remember it was chaos when they put in place the new security setup, but that is a long time ago and maybe things have improved by now.
I haven't been during a busy period, but it seems ok.

Not sure what MAD looks like, or the smaller gateways like BRU and CPH.
I used CPH a couple times recently and it was easy. There are brief periods where transit immigration queues build up, but they get processed quickly so never a long wait. I expect to use MAD a fair amount in 2017 so I hope it goes well.
Old Dec 23, 16, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I transited in LHR 5 twice very recently. So did my family on different days.
The security clearing does indeed take long and all agents look at you as a potential terrorist. But the lines are well organized and it never took any of us more than 20 minutes (with a norm of 10-15 min).
That is too long, unpleasant, and a sufficient reason to try to avoid LHR. But nothing like what CDG immigration has become.
Old Dec 23, 16, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
I transited in LHR 5 twice very recently. So did my family on different days.
The security clearing does indeed take long and all agents look at you as a potential terrorist. But the lines are well organized and it never took any of us more than 20 minutes (with a norm of 10-15 min).
That is too long, unpleasant, and a sufficient reason to try to avoid LHR. But nothing like what CDG immigration has become.
Yesterday it was not all well organized. They started shutting economy people into the fast track. Some people pushed their way up to the front and it was a mad scrum. The security staff themselves do nothing to manage this mess, leaving it to the lesser airport staff who can't be bothered. Mind you the queues went all the way back down the hallway to where the inter-terminal bus drops transit passengers off. The UK overall is horrible at security, but LHR as the busiest airport is where it shows most poorly.
Old Dec 23, 16, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yesterday it was not all well organized. They started shutting economy people into the fast track. Some people pushed their way up to the front and it was a mad scrum. The security staff themselves do nothing to manage this mess, leaving it to the lesser airport staff who can't be bothered. Mind you the queues went all the way back down the hallway to where the inter-terminal bus drops transit passengers off. The UK overall is horrible at security, but LHR as the busiest airport is where it shows most poorly.
I have no desire to argue with you and certainly about the general cas of UK security. I was just quoting some factual and personal observations. Nevertheless, I have come to the point where I try to avoid LHR as a transit point on the many cheap business class tickets that I buy to/from Asia and therefore require one stop. From what I hear, having both LHR and CDG in the same journey from Asia is becoming nightmare.
Old Dec 23, 16, 5:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Iberia Silver
Data point today from 2F to 2E(K)... 12pm. 12 people in front of me in the Priority line, about 40 in the regular line, one police officer on duty. It took 5 minutes to get through.
Given I was on a tight 45 minute connection, I would have made my connecting flight with a about 5 minutes to spare walking at regular speed. Although I had the benefit of being moved into J halfway through the flight after the purser came to "show me" how to navigate CDG and realized that the short delay in my flight from BCN was putting the connection at risk. Very good service from AF today
Old Dec 23, 16, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HalconBCN View Post
Data point today from 2F to 2E(K)... 12pm. 12 people in front of me in the Priority line, about 40 in the regular line, one police officer on duty. It took 5 minutes to get through.
Given I was on a tight 45 minute connection, I would have made my connecting flight with a about 5 minutes to spare walking at regular speed. Although I had the benefit of being moved into J halfway through the flight after the purser came to "show me" how to navigate CDG and realized that the short delay in my flight from BCN was putting the connection at risk. Very good service from AF today
5 min for 12 people, that's really efficient.
And I guess you di not get a "random" check when disembarking from BCN.
Old Dec 23, 16, 9:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Iberia Silver
Yeah, it was just a quick glance at the passport and I was good to go. The 5 minutes wait time included letting a girl go in front of me who claimed she was running late for her flight 😉
Old Dec 23, 16, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
That leaves what? AMS and ZRH as the preferred major entry points into Europe?
CPH and HEL are excellent - better than ZRH (where some itineraries will require the use of the automated transit and where more itineraries involve security rescreening) IMHO. MAD is very good as is VIE (but the lounges are rubbish).

I would not choose BRU (way too much walking and passport control can be very slow).

The lack of organisation of immigration at CDG is frankly shameful considering the progress the airport had made on transit of late.
Old Dec 23, 16, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
The lack of organisation of immigration at CDG is frankly shameful considering the progress the airport had made on transit of late.
I cannot agree more with you, especially knowing how easy it is. No need for building infrastructure or whatever. Just 2-3 more policemen at key peak times for both departures and arrivals and that's it. What a shame

Search this Thread
Search Engine: