ADP (Paris Airport management) invests in faster border controls

Old Dec 12, 16, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Anyone knows whether the PARAFES gates at CDG 2E are currently working, both for departure and for arrival?

Flying CDG-DUB-CDG as a day trip this week and have some concerns about waiting a very long time at immigration, especially on departure. Departure time is around 9.30am, arrival around 5pm, I guess especially the departure time is a very busy one.

Thanks
Old Dec 12, 16, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
Anyone knows whether the PARAFES gates at CDG 2E are currently working, both for departure and for arrival?

Flying CDG-DUB-CDG as a day trip this week and have some concerns about waiting a very long time at immigration, especially on departure. Departure time is around 9.30am, arrival around 5pm, I guess especially the departure time is a very busy one.

Thanks
even if they are working today or tomorrow would mean nothing for another day. Same if they ar not working. But I'm sure you know that
Old Dec 13, 16, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
even if they are working today or tomorrow would mean nothing for another day. Same if they ar not working. But I'm sure you know that
Yeah, I see what you mean...

But I was thinking that for instance at T1 they have been off for the last six months or so, which looks somewhat permanent. I was just wondering whether anything similar was the case in T2E.
Old Dec 13, 16, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Yeah, I see what you mean...

But I was thinking that for instance at T1 they have been off for the last six months or so, which looks somewhat permanent. I was just wondering whether anything similar was the case in T2E.
2E departure this morning : the 3 gates were working...in the middle of a complete chaos due to unattended luggage left in the check-in area of 2E and a 45 min wait before pax were allowed to go through immigration and security. Right in the middle of the busiest time of 2E, you can imagine what it means, with on top of that wheel chairs and pax with babies/strollers and plenty of carts with carry-ons trying to move upfront every 5 sec
I really hope the moron who forgot his/her bag got the huge fine they are suppose to get
Old Dec 15, 16, 3:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Given a line at CDG today, they need to "invest" better in faster border controls.
Old Dec 15, 16, 3:52 am

Programs: FB plat QR silver A3 gold
Cool 12th of december experience

Arriving at terminal 2E K I was surprised the new gates are there...

Result: Parafe (old maner) closed
"New Parafe": out of five machines one was not working ! No way (sign, light... to show that)!

For my experience: it was not faster, just less claustrofobic as , it appared to me working like this, You have to wait to be cleared "manualy" by a policier doing the face recognition and this man seemed to be realy busy managing the five gates !

On another side: no ajustement of the camera so if you are tall no so easy to use!
Old Dec 15, 16, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saraoutou View Post

"New Parafe": out of five machines one was not working ! No way (sign, light... to show that)!

For my experience: it was not faster, just less claustrofobic as , it appared to me working like this, You have to wait to be cleared "manualy" by a policier doing the face recognition and this man seemed to be realy busy managing the five gates !

On another side: no ajustement of the camera so if you are tall no so easy to use!
When did they install them? I arrived at 2E K yesterday around 5pm, they still had the old PARAFE gates.

Other than that, after many years of improvement, 2E is incresingly making sure that Paris wins back its place as a terrible place to fly from/to/through, at least when it involves border crossings.

Departure, around 9am: looooong lines in all channels at 2E, non-prio, prio, PARAFE. Out of the three PARAFE gates, two were working. The third one wasn't but no red light indicating it. The two working ones were very slow. Security: again, looong lines in 2K. I left from 2L. 11 closed lanes, 5 open lanes . One dedicated for Skypriority, one shared with non-prio, and 3 dedicated non-prio. With this entire joke setup it took me 45 minutes from taxi through security at 2L. It should take no longer than 15 or 20 minutes, even with the train.

Arrival was Kafkaesque: I and another passenger arrived in the border police arrivals hall. There was NOBODY. Not just few people, simply ZERO other passengers. The pax in front of me took a shortcut to the PARAFE instead of walking along the glass wall and then all the way back, so I just followed him. One of the ADP staff got super excited, ran to us, what we were doing, we would have to go round. He then ran to the border police offer and asked him to block the PARAFE gates, which was done. We were then not allowed to approach the border police booth situated right next to the PARAFE gates, as this was "only for PARAFE". We then had to go to the other end, where there was the only other agent working. It's really grotesque. If there had been only one other person approaching the booths or PARAFE I would have understood the little circus as we could have been accused for cutting in front of a "line". But there simply was nobody in sight.
Old Dec 17, 16, 5:05 am
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
I'm currently at CDG 2E. The longest line i've ever seen here in 5 years. Regular line extends all the way to check-in area 12 and SkyPriority goes all the way to door 8.

Parafe seems to be very slow, with a very long queue as well.
Old Dec 17, 16, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SDQBound View Post
I'm currently at CDG 2E. The longest line i've ever seen here in 5 years. Regular line extends all the way to check-in area 12 and SkyPriority goes all the way to door 8.

Parafe seems to be very slow, with a very long queue as well.
For the arrivals this morning, it was OK. I was in the immigration area around 10:45 and there was nobody. PARAFE was working OK, although a bit slow.

I haven't seen any new automatic gate at 2E arrivals this morning
Old Dec 21, 16, 10:45 am

Programs: FB plat QR silver A3 gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
I haven't seen any new automatic gate at 2E arrivals this morning
I didn't take any picture, of course.
I was going from T2E to T2F so it was in the building linking the two terminals not in the "main" border control lounge !
Old Dec 21, 16, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't take any picture, of course.
I was going from T2E to T2F so it was in the building linking the two terminals not in the "main" border control lounge !
Ah OK. That explains everything
Old Dec 22, 16, 2:19 am
Original Poster

CDG is trying hard to win back a place in the most unpleasant airports to travel through.

The problems with immigration at 2E are now well documented. T1 is a joke as well, PARAFE is out of service since months. Now the pain starts in 2F. In the context of Vigipirate and the state of emergency they have put in place border controls for arrivals of passengers in 2F-2. Except that it suffers from the same organisational deficiencies as the other terminals: too few agents, no PARAFE, no separation between EU and other passports. When I arrived there the other day we were held back on the jetway (!), because people were clogging the walkway, held back by security people, because the little hall in front of the border control posts was full. Took more than 45 minutes to get off the plane to the baggage hall, and that was only with some "cheating" on connecting flights.

I do understand the rationale for putting in place border controls even for Schengen arrivals during the state of emergency. But I have little understanding for pi$$ poor orgnization: at least make the PARAFE work, put enough agents in the booths, and put in place a fast lane for EU/EEA passport holders.
Old Dec 22, 16, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
CDG is trying hard to win back a place in the most unpleasant airports to travel through.

The problems with immigration at 2E are now well documented. T1 is a joke as well, PARAFE is out of service since months. Now the pain starts in 2F. In the context of Vigipirate and the state of emergency they have put in place border controls for arrivals of passengers in 2F-2. Except that it suffers from the same organisational deficiencies as the other terminals: too few agents, no PARAFE, no separation between EU and other passports. When I arrived there the other day we were held back on the jetway (!), because people were clogging the walkway, held back by security people, because the little hall in front of the border control posts was full. Took more than 45 minutes to get off the plane to the baggage hall, and that was only with some "cheating" on connecting flights.

I do understand the rationale for putting in place border controls even for Schengen arrivals during the state of emergency. But I have little understanding for pi$$ poor orgnization: at least make the PARAFE work, put enough agents in the booths, and put in place a fast lane for EU/EEA passport holders.
A Chinese friend was flying CX HKG-CDG-HKG this week. Initially he only had work to do in Paris but he had to make an unexpected business flight to another Schengen European city before returning to HKG. He booked the return Europe flight on AF to allow a 2 hours connection to his return CX flight. The flight arrived 15min late, he waited an hour to leave 2F and another long wait at 2A. He missed his flight and had to wait 8 hours for the CX evening flight from CDG. Not a happy fellow.
Old Dec 22, 16, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It sounds horrible, but is this the fault of ADP or the Interior Ministry? Maybe send a tweet to @Place_Beauvau

Happily I'm flying into LYS rather than CDG today. Unhappily I'm at LHR right now which beats out CDG for worst airport IMHO. Also massive queues here even at T3, but for the horrible security regime rather than immigration.
Old Dec 22, 16, 6:25 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
CDG is trying hard to win back a place in the most unpleasant airports to travel through. (...)

The most frustrating thing is that such id checks serve no purpose other than to allow our inept politicians to pretend they have our security in mind.

The diversion of police resources is not even taken into consideration.

The cost to the economy is mounting, but in France mentioning the economy is considered rude by the ruling politicians and leftist media.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: