ADP (Paris Airport management) invests in faster border controls

Old Jul 13, 17, 3:28 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
And this is just the zoo inside the airport. That is after having spent maybe 45 minutes or more from the motorway exit to the terminal building, where access is very very poorly organised and on top the collective idiocy of Paris automobilists (stopping where it suits you and thinking that by putting on the blinking warning lights on their car all will be well, signalling "just wait, I just will leave my car here because I have something more important to do than you; blocking intersections, etc).
The biggest cause of this "n'mporte quoi" is the poor access and drop-off infrastructure towards 2E.
When the traffic jam starts on the motorway I ask to be dropped of at terminal 1 and take the automated train. Expected arrival at check in about 20-30 minutes from motorway exit (vs. 45-60 minutes). When the traffic jam starts later, but before terminal 2, I ask to be dropped of at terminal 2B. Expected arrival at check in about 15 minutes from terminal 2 approach (Versus up to 30 minutes).
I am convinced that I would have missed my flight on a few occasions without doing this, but I wouldn't recommend such diversions for CDG newbies.
Safest from the center of Paris is to count on 1h30minutes taxi time to get there (whilst 45 minutes are hypothetically more than enough)

You can instead take the overcrowded RER, which is a special experience when it's 28 degrees outside and about 45 inside because trains are packed with people, hauling their luggage over other people, and many trains not running to schedule.

Just no easy way to get away from it all...
Actually, despite its discomfort, I start to do this more and more often. From experience it is much more likely that you arrive at check in at the planned time with RER than by taxi or car.

Last edited by Zembla; Jul 13, 17 at 3:34 am
Old Jul 13, 17, 3:53 am
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
Originally Posted by Zembla View Post

Actually, despite its discomfort, I start to do this more and more often. From experience it is much more likely that you arrive at check in at the planned time with RER than by taxi or car.
Same for me. I just look at the schedule in advance and take the one that goes direct from Gare du Nord to CDG. I still have to squeeze in a full train from time to time, but this is normally for 3-4 stations, once it reaches Gare du Nord, most passengers get off.

Same for the arrival. As I usually arrive early morning, RER is by default my transportation after several taxi rides that took over 2 hours to reach the 6th arr.
Old Jul 13, 17, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
The biggest cause of this "n'mporte quoi" is the poor access and drop-off infrastructure towards 2E.
Yes - in fact, all the terminals beyond the Gare TGV. Access to 2F is not great either, but 2E is in fact the worst.

When the traffic jam starts on the motorway I ask to be dropped of at terminal 1 and take the automated train. Expected arrival at check in about 20-30 minutes from motorway exit (vs. 45-60 minutes). When the traffic jam starts later, but before terminal 2, I ask to be dropped of at terminal 2B. Expected arrival at check in about 15 minutes from terminal 2 approach (Versus up to 30 minutes).
I am convinced that I would have missed my flight on a few occasions without doing this, but I wouldn't recommend such diversions for CDG newbies.
Interesting, everyone seems to have its own tactics. I am not a great fan myself of changing modes of transport simply because I spend the time in the back of the car working/talking on the phone, which is interrupted when having to take the little train. Not a big deal though, but the main reason why RER isn't a real option for me - just not a place where you can do these things.

My "taxi strategy" therefore consists of checking on Google Maps what the situation looks like. Usually the access to the terminals is OK, only on Monday early mornings and during vacation time, especially vacation weekends in the mornings is there a significant backlog until the A1 exit. On Mondays, it moves quite quickly, because Monday early mornings it's a mix of employees and taxis and frequent users, and things move quite quickly. But still it's necessary to leave earlier, 10 to 20 minutes depending on departure terminal.

Vacation weekends are the worst. First because all the cars are actually going to the terminals, unlike on Monday mornings when many cars also go to Roissypôle/AF offices. Second because you have many people unfamiliar with the place, so they take longer to find out where they need to go, turn around, park just anywhere, etc. In that case, the "safe bet option" is to go in through the backdoor. From the A1, ake the A104 then N2 and pass by Terminal 2G and just approach CDG from that direction. *Never* any traffic jam. Takes 10 minutes more than a jam-free access from A1, but is much quicker than standing in line on the normal route.

Safest from the center of Paris is to count on 1h30minutes taxi time to get there (whilst 45 minutes are hypothetically more than enough)
Depends on time of day. For departures up to 8am, it can be done in 30-45 minutes, depending on where you are. During day and evenings out of rush hour, 45-60 minutes. During rush hour, 1h30.

Sticking to the above rule of thumb and alternative routes, I actually never have bad surprises. It's the way from CDG to downtown Paris which I always find a nightmare, at least before 9pm.
Old Jul 13, 17, 5:58 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
From the A1, ake the A104 then N2 and pass by Terminal 2G and just approach CDG from that direction. *Never* any traffic jam. Takes 10 minutes more than a jam-free access from A1, but is much quicker than standing in line on the normal route.
Excellent [email protected]:-)
What do taxi drivers say when you propose this?
Old Jul 13, 17, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Excellent [email protected]:-)
What do taxi drivers say when you propose this?
For 80% of my trips I always go with the same one, whom I have hand-picked and trained over the years, so sometimes we consult after each having taken a look at Google Maps and Waze, and sometimes he just takes these decisions without telling me

The few times I had "random" taxi drivers they usually didn't understand what I was talking about, I often had to show them the way, and often they seemed very skeptical about what I was trying to convince them of, only waiting for the slightest slowdown to tell me "see, your idea doesn't work". I also remember the one who said "that is the smartest idea, I usually don't suggest it because customers will start accusing me of making a detour".
Old Jul 19, 17, 2:13 pm
formerly B7e7US

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
The situation at ORY was supposed to get better after this weekend, according to the Ministry of Interior, but once again, flights were delayed over 1 hour this afternoon.

It would be interesting to know how much are these delays anticipated. Already tried to change my flight to depart from CDG and avoid this madness, and was quoted more than USD 5,000.00 since there's only full J available
Old Jul 25, 17, 7:00 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
To confirm SDQBound, here is an article from the Figaro informing that, according to the CEO of ADP, the time required to pass the passport controls has significantly improved.

Article is in French, but here are the highlights:

- 100 additional police officers have been deployed since 13/07;

- Time spent queuing for passport control is said to have decreased by "40 to 50%";

- 43 new PARAFE system have been installed (article does not specify when) and 5 additional ones will be by the end of the year;

- The current PARAFE system only uses fingerprints recognition since facial recognition "has yet to be approved by the Government";

- ADP has been promised 200 additional police officers who will join CDG (150) and ORY (50) after their graduation in September.

The article does not address the issue of the mal/non-functioning PARAFE gates but I guess the overall news is pretty good (I was afraid that the reinforcements received would only be there for the summer but looks like I was wrong).
Old Jul 25, 17, 10:58 pm

Programs: Many
The article is typical of the usual BS served by authorities on any subject: "we have put XXX more people/equipment etc.".

That absolutely does not answer the one and only question: will that solve the problem?

Nonetheless to be honest, there was practically no queue at passport checks in 2E on Monday evening ^. I was clearly anticipating a nightmarish moment and that was not the case. Let's hope that is related to the additional staff.
Old Jul 28, 17, 9:28 am
formerly B7e7US

Originally Posted by Enthilza View Post
To confirm SDQBound, here is an article from the Figaro informing that, according to the CEO of ADP, the time required to pass the passport controls has significantly improved.

Article is in French, but here are the highlights:

- 100 additional police officers have been deployed since 13/07;

- Time spent queuing for passport control is said to have decreased by "40 to 50%";

- 43 new PARAFE system have been installed (article does not specify when) and 5 additional ones will be by the end of the year;

- The current PARAFE system only uses fingerprints recognition since facial recognition "has yet to be approved by the Government";

- ADP has been promised 200 additional police officers who will join CDG (150) and ORY (50) after their graduation in September.

The article does not address the issue of the mal/non-functioning PARAFE gates but I guess the overall news is pretty good (I was afraid that the reinforcements received would only be there for the summer but looks like I was wrong).
This article is just BS. It took me half an hour through the SkyPriority line a week ago, and the regular line was all the way down to the EasyJet check-in in Hall 4 @:-)
Attached Images  
Old Jul 28, 17, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by SDQBound View Post
This article is just BS.
Are you surprised ?
Old Jul 30, 17, 9:22 am

Programs: FB Plat
Is it still advised to enter CDG at 2F, clear security, then transfer to 2E for a quicker passport control?
Old Jul 30, 17, 10:35 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz View Post
Is it still advised to enter CDG at 2F, clear security, then transfer to 2E for a quicker passport control?
Who "advised" to do that?

Unless check in occurs in 2F (with departure from 2E) as happens for some flights, you'll be turned away at 2F and sent to your departure terminal.

I never read it had ever been different and the last report I read here from someone who tried it just confirmed it.
Old Jul 30, 17, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by carnarvon View Post
Who "advised" to do that?

Unless check in occurs in 2F (with departure from 2E) as happens for some flights, you'll be turned away at 2F and sent to your departure terminal.

I never read it had ever been different and the last report I read here from someone who tried it just confirmed it.
Exactly. Unless the long-haul flights is among the ones having a check-in in 2F, it's not possible to go through security at 2F and use the connection corridor to 2E. Pax are turned away at security.
Old Jul 30, 17, 2:12 pm

Programs: FB Plat
My memory failed me, it seems. Thank you both for clearing this up.
Old Jul 30, 17, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz View Post
My memory failed me, it seems. Thank you both for clearing this up.
To do that you would need to have a "fake" ticket (one that you buy to go through security, and then have refunded afterwards) for a flight departing from terminal 2F, use that to pass the security into terminal 2F, and then the connection into terminal 2E with your real ticket.

The limes at terminal 2E he must be quite long to justify that trouble.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: