Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF7 Always Cancelled...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

AF7 Always Cancelled...

I've had to do JFK-CDG a couple of times in the last few months and on one of the trips, I was set to fly AF7. Unfortunately, it was cancelled, given a new number, and ended up going out ~4 hours later. After looking on FlightAware, I noticed this particular flight is cancelled pretty regularly (~3-4 times a month at least), irrespective of AF's endless strikes. In the majority of these cases, the incoming AF6 is totally on-time, as are AF's other JFK-CDG flights. Any idea what's going on with AF7?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
I would be interested to know. I'm going to NY regularly but I'm not usually in a hurry so if I can increase my chances of getting some compensations ... =D
Especially as I can work very efficiently in the lounges so it won't even be a waste of time for me
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
It's not cancelled, but delayed a couple of hours and renumbered to avoid to have 2 flights bearing the same flight number the same day. And if AF007 is delayed while the incoming flight (AF006) was on-time arriving in JFK, it can be for several reasons : technical problem requiring maintenance intervention, ATC regulations, etc.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Out of interest, what is the new number, if it's the "same" flight but just going out a later point?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:37 am

AF4071, it seems to be a "catch all" for US-CDG flights that are delayed and renumbered
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
AF4071 is currently en-route from IAH to CDG.

I wonder what they do if they have more than one delayed flight from the US on the same day!

(Edit: there was an AF4073 from LAX to CDG yesterday and an AF4075 from JFK and AF4077 from YYZ back in July)

It used to be that they just put an "A" at the end of the flightcode; but AF007A last operated on 25.04.2011
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by irishguy28

It used to be that they just put an "A" at the end of the flightcode; but AF007A last operated on 25.04.2011
They still do use the "A" ! I saw the A380 flight CDG-ABJ used it recently after being delayed for a couple of hours.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Both AF6 and AF7 have very bad on-time performance, AF7 worse than AF6 which is not surprising. But I fail to understand the motivation for cancelling a flight that is departing 2 hours late and renumbering it. Is it because they change the equipment? Is it for compensation reasons? Is it for some cost reason with US airport authorities.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:41 am

How is 3x a month "always"? Misleading title..
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
AF4071 is currently en-route from IAH to CDG.

I wonder what they do if they have more than one delayed flight from the US on the same day!

(Edit: there was an AF4073 from LAX to CDG yesterday and an AF4075 from JFK and AF4077 from YYZ back in July)

They don't use letters anymore because for US IRROPS Delta's IT system is unable to handle letters in Flight Numbers.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
How is 3x a month "always"? Misleading title..
It's clearly not meant to be taken literally....
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:22 am

It's clearly not meant to be taken literally....
I'll put up a shop with a sign "all free" and then at checkout, only every 10th item will be free. Fair enough

Sorry to have derailed this topic a bit..

Maybe this AF7 flight is like kept (intentionally) for other pax to connect to it quite often, given it's like the "last" choice for some? Say, AF sees that a flight from Houston with 40 connecting pax (onto it) is delayed by 2 hours. And if they delay AF7 (who has 95% pax ending in CDG that day) they can still have them all connecting, without going too late for crew rest hours etc.?

After all, airline schedule/roosters are highly sophisticated..
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TIME magazine: Albania: Duty-Free For All
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Maybe this AF7 flight is like kept (intentionally) for other pax to connect to it quite often, given it's like the "last" choice for some?
But it's not the last flight of the day. There are 2 later Air France flights from JFK - AF11 (21:50) and AF 9 (23:30)
Attached Images  
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:40 am

This is fun In Germany they could have just claimed asylum

irishguy28: Maybe the later flights were already fully occupied? Or they needed those (different aircraft types?) for other rotations?

I agree that 10% delay rate when everything SEEMS normal is very, very high, but then AF must have reasons to delay this flight rather often..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.