Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Priority: Security in Nice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
sorry that you got caught in our brief and very unusual spot of bad weather today!
you are forgiven because the weather has been so nice all week. And it was worse and colder in Paris.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Goldorak
you are forgiven because the weather has been so nice all week. And it was worse and colder in Paris.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Indeed, the Club Airport Premier lane will remain just that. The plan was/is that when a priority lane for Sky Priority is introduced, it will be in the form of a shortcut ("coupe file") on one side (I think left) of the main security queue.

This will be similar to what U2 got in the old part of terminal 2. Glad they let you use it this time though, although also sorry that you got caught in our brief and very unusual spot of bad weather today!

In terminal 1, the new centralised security on the ground floor has resulted in 4 lanes (from left to right): 1. staff, 2. Club Airport Premier, 3. Business/priority, 4. regular confirming that NCE is (thankfully) keen to keep a separate and self-financed facility for their own loyalty programme.

I must say that the Club Airport Premier system is really brilliant. They do take very good care of us. ^^^

And yes, the extension of Cap Ferrat has been quite significant as were those of Club Azur and Riviera in T1. All three of them have more than doubled in size and all have their own style. Cap Ferrat now has a billiard as well, which, whilst a bit gimmicky is sort of fun! The next bit of renovation is now the building of an entirely new Cap d'Antibes lounge in the international (non Schengen) section of T2. It will be moved to a new area and an even bigger increase because the plan is that EK will switch to an A380 to NCE and as it does will move to T2 (you can see the work on the inside terminal part of the new A380 gate area from the airside part of T2 or from the public bar area). I remember we recently discussed the "symbolic" value of U2 moving next door to AF at ORY, conversely, I am guessing that AF will be pretty gutted to see EK's A380s next to its planes at T2, especially as QR will be reopening NCE-DOH (this time nonstop and with higher frequency) from T1.

I must say that by French provincial airports standards, the NCE management really are quite dynamic and trying to significantly improve services. Additionally, (not NCE management related, but an important improvement for users), the tramway link to the city centre and new station by the airport should all be completed within two years.
I am starting to regret my FB G card.
Has food offering improved at Cap Ferrat?
I also wonder how the new ownership will affect the airport.

Just off a wonderful QR flight from CDG to HKG. DO we have confirmation of the date when QR will open the NCE route and details on frequency and ac. I am worried that it will be primarily seasonal.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos
I am starting to regret my FB G card.
Has food offering improved at Cap Ferrat?
I also wonder how the new ownership will affect the airport.

Just off a wonderful QR flight from CDG to HKG. DO we have confirmation of the date when QR will open the NCE route and details on frequency and ac. I am worried that it will be primarily seasonal.
Nope, the food offer has not changed substantively. You still get the sandwiches (currently a choice of shredded parma ham with mozzarella or chargrilled vegetables), the various mini-pizzas, pissaladieres, and quiches, wrapped cheese portions, yoghurts, gazpacho (to change to a hot soup at the end of this month for the winter season), compotes, whole fruits, and various biscuits, sweets, crackers etc. I still think that it is one of the best around for a contracted lounge in Europe (including free Champagne which is pretty much unheard off amongst European contracted lounges) but of course less generous than most hub lounges at least at meal times (frankly, I actually find it a small notch above CDG lounges outside of meal times). The coffee is better than at CDG, LHR and FRA hub lounges (except F/P lounges).

I actually can't wait for QR to open the NCE-DOH route, which is part of their 2017 openings http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/destinations.page . This will make flights to HKG even better (unless you are on the CDG-DOH 388 which is very nice IMHO, but T1 at CDG is a bit of a pain in the neck!). Still, I have had three excellent returns with QR in recent weeks and a fourth coming in December. They have even just changed/improved the toiletry bags (I wish they would change/improve the pyjamas too, but the very fact that they give them in overnight J is already a pretty clear statement about their service ethos). The route is definitely announced as permanent and not seasonal and I'm personally not too worried. QR were actually very satisfied with the income from their NCE opening when they did via MXP and would have kept it if it did not mean sacrificing some CDG frequencies that took precedence, NCE is still very premium-heavy notably long haul, which QR likes, and EK is happy enough with yield and traffic that they are planning their move to daily A388 after having progressed from 3 weekly A330 to 5 weekly, to A340, to daily 772 and currently daily 77W. Similarly, QR are managing year-round routes such as PSA, which has merely 40% of the traffic of NCE. I think that NCE also follows pressing demands from wealthy Qatari (just like LHR, CDG, and GVA) because of the amount of property ownership in the area which they want to enjoy. To be honest, I am more worried about "normal" J pax being downgraded QR style when an influent family decide that they need seats in an otherwise full J cabin!!

The other news in terms of new routes has been the signature of a MoU for a new PVG-NCE route by China Eastern expected to start in two years (but with Chinese airlines, I always take such announcements with a pinch of salt personally as they tend to have an asymmetric perception of "commitments"! ).

I don't think that any of us can go beyond guesses on the impact of the new ownership. For those who have not followed, 60% of shares of NCE were sold for 22 times their estimated price to the "Azzurra" Italian-French consortium which is mostly made of the Italian group Atlantia (which owns FCO and part belongs to the Bennetton family) and EDF investment (which is actually a very active investor in the UK even more than in France). The remaining 40% are retained by the Commerce Chamber and city, county, and regional councils.

Interestingly, the choice seems to have been approved by local actors who had been very vocal against the principle of the privatisation. They absolutely wanted to avoid ownership by AdP (rightly or wrongly perceived as likely to make NCE the "suburb" of Paris and not pull their weight to get it direct routes), which dropped out of the race of their own accord as a result of that opposition. They then fought hard to avoid Vinci (which won LYS) which was seen as generous but lacking a vision for the airport. By contrast, apparently, Azzurra accepted to embrace the strategic plan recently put together by the airport both in terms of new routes and airport tax policy (currently the cheapest of any large French airport by quite a margin and now expected to remain so for at least the next 15 years). Nobody knows the details apart from the stakeholders though, and cautious people like myself will always wonder if things will be as rosy as claimed with cheap taxes, structural investment, and plenty of new direct routes, or if on the contrary there is a "catch" somewhere and it will prove a smoke screen.

It is probably fair to be cautiously optimistic, but when it comes to the details, time will tell I guess...

Last edited by orbitmic; Oct 24, 2016 at 11:12 am
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, HHonors Gold
Has anyone an idea why all flights from NCE to Greece, Belgium and The Netherlands now depart from B - meaning you have to go through passport control. Thought this was Schengen... and Europe does not allow systematic passport control in the Schengen area. Also incoming passengers are being checked. (This is from T2)
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by dutchbird
Has anyone an idea why all flights from NCE to Greece, Belgium and The Netherlands now depart from B - meaning you have to go through passport control. Thought this was Schengen... and Europe does not allow systematic passport control in the Schengen area. Also incoming passengers are being checked. (This is from T2)
Yes, it is part of the "etat d'urgence" (state of emergency) rules currently going on in France (one of its measures has been to re-establish passport control for flights within Schengen) and the same in other French airports. There are some exceptions although they sound rather random and more complex than what you suggest about countries differentiation.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:56 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, HHonors Gold
Yes, it is part of the "etat d'urgence" (state of emergency) rules currently going on in France (one of its measures has been to re-establish passport control for flights within Schengen) and the same in other French airports. There are some exceptions although they sound rather random and more complex than what you suggest about countries differentiation.
Well, that's what the person in the lounge told me - these passport checks should be random, because European rules don't allow for permanent passport checks, as the Danes found out when they wanted to re-introduce border control in Jutland.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you mean that this is constantly changing? It has been a while since I flew from NCE T2 but last time I did (early July), I was surprised to have to go to the non-Schengen area for my AMS flight and, IIRC, the Schengen countries concerned were the very same as mentioned by Dutchbird. It might be mere coincidence of course.

these passport checks should be random, because European rules don't allow for permanent passport checks, as the Danes found out when they wanted to re-introduce border control in Jutland.
IIRC, the situation in Denmark was not quite the same. It was not a measure meant to address a specific issue and conceived of as temporary but was a general measure to reintroduce controls at land borders for good. The French measure is meant to be temporary and targetted at a more specific security risk, although it is admittedly a rather lengthy temporary measure but perhaps understandable in the context.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:13 am

Well, that's what the person in the lounge told me - these passport checks should be random, because European rules don't allow for permanent passport checks, as the Danes found out when they wanted to re-introduce border control in Jutland.
It's not permanent. The Etat d'Urgence is limited in time and compatible with Schengen in terms of re-establishing temporary border controls.

As I mentioned, I'm not sure what the lounge person told you but there is an element of randomness because some days it is the flights to Germany or Italy, etc. It is not always the same flights/countries treated at the B gates.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Do you mean that this is constantly changing? It has been a while since I flew from NCE T2 but last time I did (early July), I was surprised to have to go to the non-Schengen area for my AMS flight and, IIRC, the Schengen countries concerned were the very same as mentioned by Dutchbird. It might be mere coincidence of course.
I think we posted at the same time! Yes, I have had T2 B departures for Italy, Spain, Germany, Switzerland etc in recent months. I have also had several of those at the A gates on other days. I have no idea how it is allocated/how often the changes occur (e.g. if it is by day, week, etc).

In T1, it is organised differently: Schengen remains at A gates and non Schengen B gates, but some days you have to go through passport control before entering the A gates and sometimes not (the location of the passport control booths make this possible and not at T2).
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think we posted at the same time!
We did indeed. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by NickB
We did indeed. Thanks for the clarification.
No problem! I'll try to find out more details when I'm at NCE (albeit T1) next week! I usually get full briefings on the airport news from some of the lounge agents, which I usually try to avoid but I do make exceptions when I actually want to find stuff out!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:00 am

No problem! I'll try to find out more details when I'm at NCE (albeit T1) next week! I usually get full briefings on the airport news from some of the lounge agents, which I usually try to avoid but I do make exceptions when I actually want to find stuff out!
So an update as promised. Apparently too many people were confused by the frequent changes and it led to issues to gate attribution, so the list of destinations moved to B area is no longer rotated, but instead currently stable and apparently includes Belgium, Greece, and the Netherlands. The person I spoke to had no ideas why those nor whether they will be further rotated but on a more infrequent basis. I guess we can all hope that the Etat d'Urgence ends soon and the passport control within Schengen with it.

Last edited by orbitmic; Nov 2, 2016 at 10:11 am
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So an update as promised.
Thanks for this. ^
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue PFL, Eurostar Carte Blanche, Marriott Platinum
A quick update on the Fast Track in NCE T2: I was there yesterday and now the Fast Track is accessible to both SP Pax and Club Airport Premier Gold and Platinum members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.