Premium Economy: B77W vs. A343

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:43 pm
pvn
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

Is there a significant difference in the premium economy product on 77W compared to A340? Noise levels any different?

The most obvious difference is more middle seats on the Boeing (2-4-2 vs 2-3-2 on the A340).

Anything else that would make you choose one over the other?

I'm a Delta Platinum, and I'll be booking on a Delta codeshare ticket FWIW.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
No difference at all for the seat and product, outside the one you mentioned. Between the 2 aircrafts, the A343 is quieter than the B777.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: FB Ultimate - BA EC - LH M&M - Accor All Gold

Premium Economy on A340 is a pure joke.
If it is true that seats are the same, service is totally degraded on A340 for the same (high) price than on B777.
No welcome drink, no oshibori, same meals than in Economy, with frozen bread and no choice, no buffet...
No separate toilets, you have to go through half of the Economy class.
Very thin divider between PE and Economy, with the bassinets just behind...
I flew SXM-CDG in PE and I'll never do it again.
The only advantage: I sent a claim to AF and I got 4000 miles !!!
Old Jul 9, 2016, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by SteveCanary
If it is true that seats are the same, service is totally degraded on A340 for the same (high) price than on B777.
No welcome drink, no oshibori, same meals than in Economy, with frozen bread and no choice, no buffet...
No separate toilets, you have to go through half of the Economy class.
Very thin divider between PE and Economy, with the bassinets just behind...
I flew SXM-CDG in PE and I'll never do it again.
The only advantage: I sent a claim to AF and I got 4000 miles !!!
I don't understand your post and I think you make some confusion between business (J) and premium Eco (W). The service on PE is exactly the same whatever the aircraft. There is no such thing as welcome drink (except on flights to PTP/RUN/FDF) and oshibori in W. And yes, the meal is the same as Y except for the appetizer. And yes, Y is just behind W, this is well expected And a buffet ??? This is premium Economy, not business or first. I don't know on which ground you have obtained 4000 miles of compensation.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I don't understand your post and I think you make some confusion between business (J) and premium Eco (W). The service on PE is exactly the same whatever the aircraft. There is no such thing as welcome drink (except on flights to PTP/RUN/FDF) and oshibori in W. And yes, the meal is the same as Y except for the appetizer. And yes, Y is just behind W, this is well expected And a buffet ??? This is premium Economy, not business or first. I don't know on which ground you have obtained 4000 miles of compensation.
Thank you but I know the difference between J and W.
The service on PE is NOT exactly the same whatever the aircraft. Even your answer is full of "except on...", "except for...". And just look at all the asterisks in the PE description on AF site: http://www.airfrance.fr/FR/fr/common...stauration.htm
Most of the mentioned destinations, if not all, are the ones flown on A340.
Before my SXM-CDG flight, I flew PTP-ORY in PE on B777, and yes, I got a welcome drink and an oshibori.
I know Y is just behind W, but on B777 (at least COI ones) there is a galley in-between, and you don't get a crying baby just behind your head all flight long.
According to AF site, yes, there should be a buffet on the longest flights.
For all the reasons I've mentioned, and also because my seat was partly broken, I obtained the compensation.
Just facts, no confusion here.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Thank you but I know the difference between J and W.
The service on PE is NOT exactly the same whatever the aircraft. Even your answer is full of "except on...", "except for...". And just look at all the asterisks in the PE description on AF site: http://www.airfrance.fr/FR/fr/common...stauration.htm
Most of the mentioned destinations, if not all, are the ones flown on A340.
Before my SXM-CDG flight, I flew PTP-ORY in PE on B777, and yes, I got a welcome drink and an oshibori.
I know Y is just behind W, but on B777 (at least COI ones) there is a galley in-between, and you don't get a crying baby just behind your head all flight long.
According to AF site, yes, there should be a buffet on the longest flights.
For all the reasons I've mentioned, and also because my seat was partly broken, I obtained the compensation.
Just facts, no confusion here.
Fair enough for the slightly different service for COI destinations (ex-Alizée class) vs non-COI. But I'm afraid I maintain that what you said (see quote below) is plainly wrong : the service in W is not different between the aircraft. The slight difference of service for COI has nothing to see with the aircraft. And, FYI, for the COI destinations, I think SXM is now the only one served by the A340.

Old Jul 9, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Goldorak
the service in W is not different between the aircraft.
Agreed... say what you will about AF W, it has got to be one of the most consistent products out there. The seat is almost exactly the same regardless of aircraft (minor difference in BEST config), the service is almost exactly the same (except COI). Perhaps you get dedicated lavs on some configs.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 2:15 am

OK, I won't comment anymore on this subject.
I just wanted to share my impressions and show there can be a big difference between 2 destinations or aircrafts. But I agree my first reply might have been inadequate.
The OP will have his own experience...
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
I have flown in PE on the 777, a340, and a380 and the hard product is all the same. The service really depends on the flight attendant. However, when I mean hard product, I really mean HARD product. The seat is really uncomfortable after 5-6 hours, so it can be really painful on a 10-13hr flight. There only seems to be support on certain part of the chair, so it feels like they're poking into your back. They really need to add some extra cushion in those seats. The only good thing about the shell design is that the person in front can lean back onto you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.