Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France rescheduling mess

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Air France rescheduling mess

This afternoon AF rescheduled my four Business Class PTY-FRA tickets due to a strike related cancellation. The original flight was tomorrow (Monday) at 9:00 PM, the new flight is on KLM this evening (Sunday) at 7:00 PM. The only problem is they failed to inform me. Though I did get an email from Expedia today at 6:30 PM (30 min before new flight) about issues with seat assignments. I had previously added everyone's contact information to the reservation via the AF website. AF basically said it's ultimately Expedia's responsibility to contact me, as well as my own to keep up with the news. I was prepared to deal with a cancellation Tuesday morning, just not having my flight moved up without notice. Now, no flights available now for days. I have had plenty of flights cancelled or re-booked over the years, never have I had a flight quietly moved up to the current day, certainly not a 5 figure purchase.

Is my complaint with Expedia or AF?

Tomorrows adventure will be to see if my ticket is now cancelled and worthless after tonights flight lands in CDG.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:32 pm

They are doing their best, I am sure they will try and help you, just try and be nice to the booking and ground staff. Also look at alternatives, maybe if you have a good idea they will make it happen. If you booked with Expedia, you should indeed speak with them, it is their responsibility to handle this unless maybe the airport staff can help.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by af fp
They are doing their best, I am sure they will try and help you, just try and be nice to the booking and ground staff. Also look at alternatives, maybe if you have a good idea they will make it happen. If you booked with Expedia, you should indeed speak with them, it is their responsibility to handle this unless maybe the airport staff can help.
Spoke to AF, they said only Expedia could help. Had a 3:45 min call with Expedia, they knew less than I did about how to go forward. Finally a supervisor passed me to AF directly (answered by Delta), they can reschedule on any Sky Miles partner, but would not book to AF in case it gets cancelled again. As 3 of the 4 do not have USA visas, its near impossible to book anything. They offered an overnight in Mex (not sure if they can transit as you break immigration there similar to the USA). I tried to talk them into LH from PTY or BOG, but they were having none of it. I showed them options out of CCS but I guess Venezuala is too pricey to fly me to.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:52 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
As unfortunate as this is for the OP, it tells once again that booking with the airline direct is the way to go.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Af are excellent at irrop information (one of the only things for which they are best in class) but as other airlines will always only inform the ta if you book through one. Your complaint lies squarely with Expedia.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:34 am
q

Having US visa is not (used not to be) a requirement for connecting in the US, or at least in some airports e.g. JFK there is a way to do without a visa?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by q
Having US visa is not (used not to be) a requirement for connecting in the US, or at least in some airports e.g. JFK there is a way to do without a visa?
Transiting via the US requires a visa, there is only one TWOV (Transit without a visa) exception for PAX flying CX from HKG to Toronto and transiting in ANC.

This has been the case for a very long time.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:16 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Af are excellent at irrop information (one of the only things for which they are best in class)
I concur. Have been through a few irrops and ROC was always top-notch.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is solely Expedia's issue. It is your TA and AF would have notified your TA (although there is software which Expedia uses to monitor its bookings). Expedia ought to have notified you and failed to do so.

As the cancelled flight is the next day, it falls to Expedia to handle the rebooking in the first instance and you have been passed on to AF (DL handles AF customer service in North America).

Unfortunately, the visa situation complicates service recovery. Ignore the suggestions above that there is a transit possibility in the US. With extraordinarily limited exceptions, none of which apply here, there is no transit in the US and if your companions require visas, US connections will not work unless they are either able to obtain visas or are ESTA-eligible. Check TIMATIC for the rules.

Not to berate OP because it is in the past, but this is yet another reason to book directly with air carriers or, if you must book with a TA, book with a TA with whom you regularly do business, whom you personally know and trust, not an OTA or other third-party vendor. The exception might be for simple travel with extraordinary savings.

Now that it is the actual day of travel, you may be back in AF's hands. Try them on a European # where AF handles the customer service and see what you can accomplish. Don't expect AF to waive immigration rules for you as it can't. Even if AF books a route through the US and your companions appear at PTY without the proper docs, they won't be permitted to board, so start the conversation with AF with the limitation.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:54 am
Original Poster

The only complaint I have with AF is they unilaterally rescheduled us on a flight that left 6 hours after they made the change. The original flight was Monday at 9:00 PM on AF, they rescheduled us to Sunday at 7:00 PM on KLM. This change was made Sunday afternoon according to AF. Even if notified, we would be hard pressed to make that flight with so little notice.

This will cost more than double the price to book another flight on my own as we have hotels, other flights and a cruise to catch.

Last edited by elusive1; Jun 13, 2016 at 6:00 am
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Rebooking for the day before is indeed a bit unusual but nevertheless at least they were proactive in rebooking you.

Your interlocutor is Expedia unfortunately, not AF.

That they have offered ANY SkyTeam partner is very generous (I presume you mean SkyTeam, not SkyMiles - if the latter then it's even more generous). Just as a comparison, Lufthansa Group airlines (LH,OS,LX,SN + 4U) will only offer rebooking within the Group - NOT within all of Star Alliance.

Good luck with your travel plans!
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by elusive1
The only complaint I have with AF is they unilaterally rescheduled us on a flight that left 6 hours after they made the change. The original flight was Monday at 9:00 PM on AF, they rescheduled us to Sunday at 7:00 PM on KLM. This change was made Sunday afternoon according to AF. Even if notified, we would be hard pressed to make that flight with so little notice.

This will cost more than double the price to book another flight on my own as we have hotels, other flights and a cruise to catch.
Have you ever tried to contact KLM on twitter, they were pretty efficient there.

Besides, have you also looked for flights out of CUR or AUA too?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

With the strike massively disrupting European carriers, AF did you a favor by grabbing you whatever seats there were to be had. Yes, it was unilateral. But, with thousands (more likely more) affected passengers, inventory disappears in minutes not hours.

This is not to your prejudice. If there is something "better" and bookable, you won't have a problem making that change. But, at least you have what AF has protected you on.

You say that you will be "hard pressed". But, that is better than having absolutely nothing available.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Expedia certainly dropped the ball but AF did reschedule the flight about 8 hours before the new flight so I would be hard pressed to get a group of 4 to Panama with 6 hours notice anyway.

I used some of my Life Miles Stash and got us to Europe in the end. I did inquire while at PTY and they did offer me KLM coach the next day (no hotel), with a refund if any, of the price difference. I suspect a full fare coach would have been more than business.

AF did say it was a very interesting question as to whether me missing my rescheduled flight rendered the ticket worthless.

Hoping in the coming weeks they will allow me to reschedule the unused ticket, perhaps beginning in Europe (for my return).

Last edited by elusive1; Jun 14, 2016 at 6:14 pm
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Expedia certainly dropped the ball but AF did reschedule the flight about 8 hours before the new flight so I would be hard pressed to get a group of 4 to Panama with 6 hours notice anyway.

I used some of my Life Miles Stash and got us to Europe in the end. I did inquire while at PTY and they did offer me KLM coach the next day (no hotel), with a refund if any, of the price difference. I suspect a full fare coach would have been more than business.

AF did say it was a very interesting question as to whether me missing my rescheduled flight rendered the ticket worthless.

Hoping in the coming weeks they will allow me to reschedule the unused ticket, perhaps beginning in Europe (for my return).
It would be helpful if you provided more information on your ticket.
Guessing, it seems to be a paid CDG-PTY-CDG. is that right? Was it a heavily discounted non-refundable fare?

In any case, AF seemed to have done the utmost for you. they tried to fly you out in Biz the day before. Expedia failed to notify you. Assuming that you had booked direct, AF would have notified you and asked if you accept. You are not obliged to accept such an earlu rerouting. Then they offered you the next day on KL in Y. With your US visa situation, there is not much they could do if flights are full.
You do not say if they refused to rebook you on the airline you finally used with miles. Did they?

The second quesiton is what compensation are you entitled. If your paid ticket is PTY-CDG-PTY, then you could get a refund plus a compensation under EU261. If it is a CDG-PTY-CDG ticket and you already used the outbound, the question is a bit more tricky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.