FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   French strikes, strikes, strikes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1767989-french-strikes-strikes-strikes.html)

San Gottardo Jun 13, 2016 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 26772785)
Same experience for me, but with a distinction between the "old ones" and the young pilots. This state of mind described by San Gottardo is much more prevalent in AF pilots 50 y.o. and older. The youngest pilots are much more aware of the competitive environment and they are strongly opposed to the suicidal behavior of their senior counterparts. So there's hope...

And indeed, the guy I talked to is in the >50 yr. age bracket.

mahasamatman Jun 13, 2016 9:40 pm

I'm really not familiar with the French strikes. My brother is in Paris right now, and scheduled to depart to TLV on Friday the 17th (over the last three days, 67% of the CDG-TLV flights have been cancelled, including all three on the 14th). Does anyone with more experience have any insight into whether he has anything to worry about with regard to a possible strike extension?

orbitmic Jun 14, 2016 1:07 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 26774937)
I'm really not familiar with the French strikes. My brother is in Paris right now, and scheduled to depart to TLV on Friday the 17th (over the last three days, 67% of the CDG-TLV flights have been cancelled, including all three on the 14th). Does anyone with more experience have any insight into whether he has anything to worry about with regard to a possible strike extension?

Typically, when deciding on what flights to keep and cancel, AF will largely base their decision on ensuring that the maximum of passengers can be rerouted appropriately. Your brother's flights should fall outside of the strike period anyway, but even if it were not he would be rerouted, so he should keep an eye on the AF website but doesn't need to worry.

brunos Jun 14, 2016 9:53 am

Might be due to the mess in France, or not. But BA/AA are offering their direct flights to NYC for 1,070 in business

brunos Jun 15, 2016 8:03 am

I just got a phone call from a Chinese friend. He was really worried about my safety after the evening news he watched on local TV. The violence (demonstrations, assassination, hooligans) and strikes (garbage, train, Air France) are making headlines. The Euro cup is bringing a lot of bad publicity to France.
very sad.

DernierVirage Jun 15, 2016 8:32 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 26781821)
I just got a phone call from a Chinese friend. He was really worried after the evening news he watched on local TV. The violence (demonstrations, assassination, hooligans) and strikes (garbage, train, Air France) are making headlines. The Euro cup is bringing a lot of bad publicity to France.
very sad.

Reminds me of the 1998 strikes at the time of the World Cup. I had the misfortune to host a delegation of our Chinese partners, who suffered the full impact of the AF (and other) strikes - flight from BJS cancelled, rerouted through FRA with LH, arrival at CDG T1 with no baggage handlers working, bags piled in heaps everywhere etc. I wanted the ground to swallow me up.

stimpy Jun 15, 2016 10:01 am

Bad news: My AF A380 flight was cancelled.

Good news: I was rebooked on another AF flight and got to experience the new La Premiere. ^

Better news: The new timing was better for my sleep and I slept the whole flight, enjoying the most private cabin of any Euro airline. That makes the jet lag soooo much easier to deal with.

Today in Paris, it is pretty much back to normal.

Heading to my first Euro 2016 match tomorrow. I'm sure everyone will have fun.

San Gottardo Jun 15, 2016 10:26 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 26782436)
Bad news: My AF A380 flight was cancelled.

Cancelled because of technical issues with the plane, I am sure (must be, it can't be that strike-that-doesn't-happen-during-the-Euro).

stimpy Jun 15, 2016 12:08 pm

Is there a strike affecting the Euro's? No, of course not.

newflyer27 Jun 17, 2016 10:16 am

Another AF Pilot's strike announced 24th -27th of June...

Xeno Jun 17, 2016 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by newflyer27 (Post 26792482)
Another AF Pilot's strike announced 24th -27th of June...

Do you have a public source that I could use to try and change my return through CDG?

San Gottardo Jun 17, 2016 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno (Post 26794630)
Do you have a public source that I could use to try and change my return through CDG?

Article in press

However, you'll only be able to change tix for free or get a reimbursement once AF has "officially recognized" the strike and made an announcement on its website. That isn't the case yet.

Xeno Jun 18, 2016 8:10 am

Thank you, this will at least let me start a conversation since this is a DL ticket using AF equipment on the return from CPH.

brunos Jun 18, 2016 9:56 am

Just keep watch of the AF website. They won't waive the change fees/conditions until they announce it. And that's usually a couple of days before the strike when it appears that negotiations failed.

boeingguy1 Jun 20, 2016 3:13 pm

the pilots are at it again...

http://www.france24.com/en/20160619-...week-euro-2016

They will be the death of this once great company.