Turcat, Concorde's first pilot passed away

Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
Turcat, Concorde's first pilot passed away

Though not directly related to FB, but of interest to many of us I presume given the role Concorde has played in Air France's identity. Its first test pilot, André Turcat, passed away yesterday at the age of 94. There is a good biography in today's Le Monde (in French, sorry), to be read here .

He was a great pilot, and an amazing character. RIP.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
indeed, a great man who flew the greatest plane ever built. I had the chance to fly it twice and know how lucky I am.
R.I.P. Mr Turcat
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:15 am

Programs: Many
Sad news.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Sad news indeed.
He lead a full and long life.
His name remains attached to Concorde and Air France (and Airbus by his Sud Aviation precursor)..
I cannot resist remembering how diversified and rich his life has been.

Graduating from Polytechnique (the elite maths school), he became military pilot and served during the Indochina war. He became the emblematic (and charismatic) lead test pilot of Concorde. He was often referred to as "Monsieur Concorde". These were the glorious days of Air France.

Retiring in 2006, he started a political life as Deputy Mayor of Toulouse and member of the European parliament. He married us in Toulouse.

In the 1980s he started a more intellectual/spiritual life and got a Doctorat es Lettres in 1990. He studied theology and taught history of Christian art for many years.

I am sad and wished I had such a rich life.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: Many
Very rich life indeed. Thanks brunos for sharing this parts of his biography.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I am reactivating an old Concorde thread because today is the 20th anniversary of the tragedy of crash of Concorde AF4590 flight in Gonesse, between CDG and LBG.
I remember very well this day when my assistant came in my office to tell me that the Concorde crashed and I could not believe it, I was in complete shock. My office is very close to CDG and some colleagues saw it in flame before it crashed. Leaving the office, I saw from my car the smoke column from the crash site. RIP to the people who lost their life this day.
I had the chance to go often at CDG to see it landing from JFK and it was such a beauty and I am among the happy few who flew it.
Concorde, you are still the best and most beautiful plane ever built
Andy82 and Solevita like this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I also flew in it and it was the most beautiful civil plane. Majestic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.