Beware: passport control booths in operation at CDG 2F (Schengen)

Old Feb 20, 19, 2:40 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
I get checked about 20% of the time in T2F. barely worth a raised eyebrow by now, but could be annoying on tight connections.

I haven't had this on any other airport in Schengen area. I guess it's just the French being French

btw. there is no SkyPriority lane, but exit and transfer are separate lines. Transfer lines were waay shorter.
Old Feb 20, 19, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk View Post
I get checked about 20% of the time in T2F. barely worth a raised eyebrow by now, but could be annoying on tight connections.

I haven't had this on any other airport in Schengen area. I guess it's just the French being French

btw. there is no SkyPriority lane, but exit and transfer are separate lines. Transfer lines were waay shorter.
Usually not a big deal, but I have seen days where passengers got stuck right as they came out of the jetway, with the line going back through the entire concourse and then into the hall where the immigration checks take place.

No idea why they do it. The Etat d‘urgence isn‘t in place anymore. I know they *can* do it, even in the Schengen zone passport checks are allowed at any time at the border between countries, and passengers have to carry valid travel documents with them at all times.

And maybe it‘s just that: they do it because they can. Maybe to show how busy they are.

I‘d rather have more capacities at 2E in the morning - I assume the PAF staff slowing down operations in 2F in the afternoon have been at 2E in the morning.
Old Feb 20, 19, 3:19 am

Programs: UX Gold - SkyTeam Elite Plus
Général case in other France airports for Schengen arrivals? (ORY, LYS, NTE?)

I have heard about some Schengen pax - entires flights being redirected to immigrations booth at LYS., NTE and even ORY...
The flights were all originated from PRG.
For CDG it seems to be a 2F2 issue, if you take an OK/QS flight arriving in 2D, space is so limited in this terminal that checks are not even carried out. So 2D is the loophole to France.

If it is only about showing to le bon peuple that borders are « properly secured » I really think than Central / Eastern Europeans nations I live in are definetly doing more for immigration than France is really trying to show, without these ID check for arriving Schengen flights. Wondering why they are controlling pax coming from places where EU immigration policies are more strictly enforced compared to F, useless, especially if it takes place only during regular civils servants working times, so at 5PM it is time to go home.
So are we in Schengen or half-Schengen at the end?

As there is no SP lane, did someone try a DYKWIA to the airport agents managing this ID checks lane to make a way to the front?
carnarvon likes this.

Last edited by catsniper75; Feb 20, 19 at 3:51 am
Old Feb 20, 19, 4:08 am

Programs: FB Plat
You can see the list of all the "temporary reintroductions of border controls" on the EC website: https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/wh...der-control_en

Currently these controls have been notified for until at least the end of April 2019. During a congress of the French airports association last November, the chief of the border police (PAF) said it may likely be extended until september 2019 (at least?). These checks will be (or already are?) targetted and/or on a random basis on all French airports, while it has lately been only the case on parisian airports (controls were systematic on provincial airports).
Squerez likes this.
Old Feb 20, 19, 5:23 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Club Accor Hotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post

No idea why they do it. The Etat d‘urgence isn‘t in place anymore. I know they *can* do it, even in the Schengen zone passport checks are allowed at any time at the border between countries, and passengers have to carry valid travel documents with them at all times.

And maybe it‘s just that: they do it because they can. Maybe to show how busy they are.

Power trip. They got he power back during state of emergency. Don't want to let it go again.

Last time I challenged a PAF officer on the reason for ID check for a flight from NTE to AMS, he answered in a formal amd authoritative manner that France was in a state of emergency. Complete crap because he could not come up with a proper justification.

I'd rather have more capacities at 2E in the morning - I assume the PAF staff slowing down operations in 2F in the afternoon have been at 2E in the morning.
Who would not agree with you? Our politicians. So on we go with those stupid and useless ID checks.
Old Feb 20, 19, 10:47 am

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Silver)
Happened to us on Monday February 18 coming off AF 1301 from MAD. There were 3 lanes for connections and I think 2 for arrivals. We were in row 6 on 1301 so we had essentially zero wait (there were 2 booths open as we approached the desk). We had a lllooonnnggg connection time for MPL, so no concern, though I imagine it could be if the connection were tight and the inbound were late.. There was an individual efficiently but somewhat brusquely directing people. My guess was that once all connections had been cleared, the remaining arrivals would be redirected to those booths. The same thing was happening the previous Wednesday when I was waiting for AA 1800 to MAD -- the "downstairs" exit from the higher numbered wing of 2F was blocked off and passport lines were being prepared.

Wasn't clear to me what the route to the airside bus for 2G would have been as the route I would usually take seemed to be blocked off.
Old Feb 20, 19, 12:55 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Club Accor Hotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
This is another example of how incompetent and out of touch the "authorities" who control our lives are.
Old Feb 20, 19, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
May be I am wrong but I have the feeling that AMS flights are particularly targeted by those controls. AMS-NTE/LYS/MRS are notorious for having passport control on arrival.
Old Feb 20, 19, 2:23 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Provincial airports seem to have systematic passport control for international flights, I don't think AMS is more targetted than MAD, but I have no data to justify it, just my personal experience in the last couple of years.
Old Feb 21, 19, 1:51 am

Programs: FB Gold - BA EC - Le Club Accor Hotels
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
May be I am wrong but I have the feeling that AMS flights are particularly targeted by those controls. AMS-NTE/LYS/MRS are notorious for having passport control on arrival.
You can add AMS/NCE, with passport control on arrival AND departure.
MAD doesn't seem to be concerned in NCE.
And on my last return flight to FCO (november 2018) there was no control on departure but on the return flight the plane stopped in Schengen part of NCE T2 but all pax were redirected to non-Schengen part for arrival passport control.
Old Feb 21, 19, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carnarvon View Post
Last time I challenged a PAF officer on the reason for ID check for a flight from NTE to AMS, he answered in a formal amd authoritative manner that France was in a state of emergency. Complete crap because he could not come up with a proper justification.
And what did you expect him to tell you? Launch into a powerpoint presentation with a detailed explanation of the threat analysis carried out and the intelligence on which this may be based?

I would not expect a PAF officer to be in a position to discuss this anymore than I would expect an AF ticketing agent to launch into a discussion of the AFKL group strategy with Transavia. That is way above his or her pay grade.

It may well be that it is all show or it may well be that this is based on solid risk analysis or it may well be that it is somewhere between the two. If I were to hazard a guess, I would probably go for the last of those three possibilities but I am not a security expert and, from the depth of my lack of knowledge and competence, I will tend to give prima facie credit to professionals in the field, even if that credit is neither unlimited nor unconditional.
Porcepic and jsfr like this.
Old Feb 21, 19, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB View Post
And what did you expect him to tell you? Launch into a powerpoint presentation with a detailed explanation of the threat analysis carried out and the intelligence on which this may be based?

I would not expect a PAF officer to be in a position to discuss this anymore than I would expect an AF ticketing agent to launch into a discussion of the AFKL group strategy with Transavia. That is way above his or her pay grade.

It may well be that it is all show or it may well be that this is based on solid risk analysis or it may well be that it is somewhere between the two. If I were to hazard a guess, I would probably go for the last of those three possibilities but I am not a security expert and, from the depth of my lack of knowledge and competence, I will tend to give prima facie credit to professionals in the field, even if that credit is neither unlimited nor unconditional.
Looking at it from the distance, I'd also go for the third of the three possibilities, as that seems the most reasonable in the absence of any more insight.

But then at least for Paris CDG Terminal 2 there is something that does push me to believe it's the first possibility: it's all show and they do because they can. Otherwise, how to explain that these checks happen only in the afternoon, and only for flights arriving at 2F-2. How does that reflect a specific risk pattern? Flights arriving in 2F-2 could come from literally anywhere in the Schengen area, and that same flight or another flight from the same city may arrive in 2F-1 next time. If there is a pattern of "flights from Geneva have a higher risk score" then they should be checking all flights from Geneva, and not just the ones that happen to dock at 2F-2 in the afternoon.

Thus: either it's mainly show, or there is a real risk but then I am worried about the random execution of these security measures.
Old Mar 1, 19, 2:29 pm

CDG 2F1 - Gates F20-30 - New passport control booth on arrival

They built also passport control booth for arriving pax on the 2F1 F20-30 concourse ...Le nec-plus-ultra with flat screens, of course no Parafe, and pretty sure No SP lane 😱

22:30 Friday, not in operation.

Last edited by catsniper75; Mar 1, 19 at 2:45 pm
Old Mar 1, 19, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catsniper75 View Post
They built also passport control booth for arriving pax on the 2F1 F20-30 concourse ...Le nec-plus-ultra with flat screens, of course no Parafe, and pretty sure No SP lane 😱

22:30 Friday, not in operation.
Really? When did they build them? Where?
Old Mar 1, 19, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post

Really? When did they build them? Where?
When: I don’t know, but I did not see them by mid-february on 2F1.

Where: Arriving from 2F1 gates in the corridor going to luggage delivery conveyors belts, before the escalator going down, just next to the automated gates , symmetric to 2F2 conception.

Et PAF !

Last edited by catsniper75; Mar 1, 19 at 4:56 pm

Search this Thread