Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I skip the 1st train leg CDG to BRU with AF?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Can I skip the 1st train leg CDG to BRU with AF?

Hello everyone:

I know this question could have been asked several times, but I'm really worried about and it's my first time in Europe.. look I bought a super deal with AF for Feb MEX-BRU (via CDG) and already booked a prepaid hotel in Paris, but I want to know if I can land in CDG go to the TGV kiosko to pick up my train ticket to BRU and not board on the train? Because I want to start my trip in Paris.

What about the luggage I can take it from the plane and pick up the tickets without checked in luggage?

Doing that would cancel my return flight? Do they have a way to know that I don't actually board the train?

Note that in the return flight I'm definitely taking the train from BRU station to CDG to MEX because I have learned that If you don't check-in in Brussels train station you can't take your flight in CDG

Thanks to those who reply.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
You have to take your bags in CDG and recheck them for the train. You can of course leave them at CDG and take the train without luggage. The train ticket however will not be delivered by the ticket machine but by specific train staff when entering the train track. At least that was the way it was done when I pretended to take the train with AF ticket the last time, some time back however. I'm not sure anymore if I got a physical ticket or if they just crossed my name on their manifest. In the train there should be a control, so in theory they know when you don't take the train. In my case it was the last leg of the ticket so I did not care about consequences, but I did not get miles fot that segment and of course did not insist.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you MarLim, how long ago was your trip? Exactly that's my problem, I'm planning to skip just the train but in the 1st LEG but I fear they cancel my return flight. If it was the last leg I would be less worried.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by isnoemas
Thank you MarLim, how long ago was your trip? Exactly that's my problem, I'm planning to skip just the train but in the 1st LEG but I fear they cancel my return flight. If it was the last leg I would be less worried.
About 3 years ago
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: AF/KL PLAT
In normal circumstances I would say that you should not have to worry. Yes, you will have to go to the ticket counter in the railway station, they will personally hand you a 'boarding pass' and strike your name off on a manifest. But after that there is not much more of a control. If your ticket is checked on the train it is by the SNCF/NMBS train staff - nothing to do with AF.

HOWEVER, with the current security situation, I'd be much more reluctant. A passenger listed on a manifest as checked in but not present on the train might raise all kind of suspicion and alerts.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by MarLim
You have to take your bags in CDG and recheck them for the train. You can of course leave them at CDG and take the train without luggage. The train ticket however will not be delivered by the ticket machine but by specific train staff when entering the train track. At least that was the way it was done when I pretended to take the train with AF ticket the last time, some time back however. I'm not sure anymore if I got a physical ticket or if they just crossed my name on their manifest. In the train there should be a control, so in theory they know when you don't take the train. In my case it was the last leg of the ticket so I did not care about consequences, but I did not get miles fot that segment and of course did not insist.
Are you sure your memory is not betraying you?

After getting your train ticket from AF staff at AF counter at the station, which kind of control did you have to go through?

P.s. on board the train is not an AF check.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
When I last did it, there were AF people at train boarding who did check train BPs against a list. They were marking who was on and who was not. I have no idea whether this would be used to cancel the itineraries of those who were not onboard but personally, this is not a risk that I would be willing to take. If you book MEX-CDG-BRU and back, I would fly just that.

Also, note that on the return, your check in for the whole itinerary is done at Bruxelles Midi so again, if you were not chcking in there, that would be an other opportunity for them to cancel your CDG-MEX segment.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon
Are you sure your memory is not betraying you?

After getting your train ticket from AF staff at AF counter at the station, which kind of control did you have to go through?

P.s. on board the train is not an AF check.
What I know for sure is that I did not get miles for that segment, so I assume that somehow they realized that I did not take the train, but you could probably blame communication between AF and SNCF in case of problems and you should get away with it. In my case the ticket counter was not in the office but at the entrance to the rail tracks and the agent of course saw that I did not go down the stairs but turned around back to the waiting area.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
When I last did it, there were AF people at train boarding who did check train BPs against a list. They were marking who was on and who was not. I have no idea whether this would be used to cancel the itineraries of those who were not onboard but personally, this is not a risk that I would be willing to take. If you book MEX-CDG-BRU and back, I would fly just that.

Also, note that on the return, your check in for the whole itinerary is done at Bruxelles Midi so again, if you were not chcking in there, that would be an other opportunity for them to cancel your CDG-MEX segment.
As others said, there was no staff checking BPs whilst boarding my train when I last did BHX-CDG-[Train]-XDB. However, as you say, I would not really be willing to stress myself out thinking that my transatlantic segment could be cancelled as a result of skipping the train leg...

G
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:52 am
Original Poster

I will really regret to lost at least 4 hours going and returning from BRU the same day and miss some really great spots in Paris but as others said I would be too stressed my whole Eurotrip thinking if skipping the train will have consequences when I get to BRU station for my return train/flight ticket and they tell me it is cancelled.

Thank you guys for all your replies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.