FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   2 AF Flights diverted to for security reasons (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1725298-2-af-flights-diverted-security-reasons.html)

mamb0 Nov 17, 2015 8:27 pm

2 AF Flights diverted to for security reasons

AF 65 from LAX to CDG diverted to Salt Lake City
AF 55 IAD to CDG diverted to Halifax

Apparently phoned in bomb threats..

Be safe!

cruisr Nov 17, 2015 8:37 pm

thoughts go out to all those onboard. Scary times,

TheFerret Nov 17, 2015 8:40 pm

The flight diverted to Halifax and the people disembarked and taken to secure part of airport, main runway is closed but the secondary is still open as per:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ifax-1.3323777

enviroian Nov 17, 2015 8:44 pm

2 AF Flights diverted to for security reasons

Hoax?

mamb0 Nov 17, 2015 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 25731781)
Hoax?

My post is not, the phoned in bomb threats might be...

Dan1113 Nov 17, 2015 11:56 pm

Between this and the stadium in Hanover yesterday, it's looking like we may be in for a lot of last minute closures of events, aircraft diversion, etc., due to what appears to be hoax threats. :(

Mokshu Nov 18, 2015 4:08 am

There was a threatening call concerning flight AF065 from Washington.

As there's no AF065 departing from IAD (AF055) but one from LAX, AF and the authorities decided to divert both aircrafts.

MSPeconomist Nov 18, 2015 9:14 am

Lovely. The idiots doing this can't even look up a flight schedule correctly to find which flight number corresponds to which route?

USA media made it sound like separate threats to two distinct flights.

Did either flight have problems with crew timing out due to the diversions? OTOH, I could understand crew being upset by the circumstances and perhaps not feeling fully fit to work the next portion of the flight.

obscure2k Nov 18, 2015 11:55 am

I was on AF 65. Crew handled it well and DL ground crew in SLC did a great job. Not an experience I would care to repeat. Pilot made a very hard landing so mechanics were looking for any structural damage. All pax interviewed by FBI

MSPeconomist Nov 18, 2015 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k (Post 25735126)
I was on AF 65. Crew handled it well and DL ground crew in SLC did a great job. Not an experience I would care to repeat. Pilot made a very hard landing so mechanics were looking for any structural damage. All pax interviewed by FBI

Sorry to hear that. Did you lose a day in SLC? [In a weird way, I think I would have been interested by the type of questions the investigators were asking, but I'm reluctant to ask you about that on the internet.]

TheTakeOffRush Nov 18, 2015 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25734203)
...I could understand crew being upset by the circumstances and perhaps not feeling fully fit to work the next portion of the flight.

Wasn't there a case in the past few years (maybe several?) that highlighted the tough spot a cabin crew can be in when their opinion on "safe to fly" differs from the airline's? Anyone know AF/other airline's policy on letting cabin crew go off duty after a security incident that shakes them up, despite their being still in their duty period?

Thanks for speaking up, obscure2k. Would you be willing to describe the events on landing/debrief/traveling on in greater detail? This may become a more frequent occurrence; many of us would benefit from the intel.

Goldorak Nov 18, 2015 3:12 pm

Pilot made a very hard landing so mechanics were looking for any structural damage.

The aircraft was likely very heavy with the fuel load (I don't think they had time to dump fuel in case of a bomb threat ?), hence the hard landing.

MSPeconomist Nov 19, 2015 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 25736197)
The aircraft was likely very heavy with the fuel load (I don't think they had time to dump fuel in case of a bomb threat ?), hence the hard landing.

Good point.

L Lam Nov 20, 2015 3:30 am

I am going to fly AF/KLM to South America (from KUL) in a week's time. Getting a little worried about all these incidents, and the extra security at CDG when I change flights. Anxiously watching this space for any updates.

Henry III Nov 20, 2015 5:13 am

So, what does this event tell us about the level of confidence the 'system' has in airport security? :confused:

It would seem that, despite the huge expenditure on, and significant inconvenience caused by, the tight security checks at airports (and I'm not in any way questioning the need for these), any would-be supporter of the terrorists can cause major disruption by making a simple telephone call!

Is there really so little trust in the effectiveness of TSA operations that we are prepared to so freely offer such a 'weapon of mass disruption' to the terrorists?

-- Henry