Weighing carry-on baggage at CDG

Old Apr 27, 2016, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos
I always pay extra for a front seat so am allowed a bigger bag.
Actually, no - your bag size is the same as everyone else's, however, that you book those front seats is the only reason why you get to take a second piece of hand luggage onboard rather than only one as the rest of the plane does. U2's policy is not about 2 if there is space but 1 if there isn't, it is about 2 for EasyJet +, upfront pax etc and one for everyone else (just like several airlines allow an extra piece of hand luggage to business class customers).

Cabin baggage

What is my cabin baggage allowance?

All passengers

ONE cabin bag
Maximum size of 56 x 45 x 25cm including handles and wheels.

easyJet Plus, FLEXI fare, Upfront and Extra Legroom customers

One cabin bag as above
Plus ONE additional small under seat bag (For example a handbag or laptop)
Maximum size of 45 x 36 x 20cm which will need to be placed under the seat in front.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Actually, no - your bag size is the same as everyone else's, however, that you book those front seats is the only reason why you get to take a second piece of hand luggage onboard rather than only one as the rest of the plane does. U2's policy is not about 2 if there is space but 1 if there isn't, it is about 2 for EasyJet +, upfront pax etc and one for everyone else (just like several airlines allow an extra piece of hand luggage to business class customers).

Cabin baggage

What is my cabin baggage allowance?

All passengers

ONE cabin bag
Maximum size of 56 x 45 x 25cm including handles and wheels.

easyJet Plus, FLEXI fare, Upfront and Extra Legroom customers

One cabin bag as above
Plus ONE additional small under seat bag (For example a handbag or laptop)
Maximum size of 45 x 36 x 20cm which will need to be placed under the seat in front.
Thanks.
But that is a change from last year. I think.

I still believe that Easyjet does (did) not enforce the one-bag rule when light load.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:48 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Thanks.
But that is a change from last year. I think.

I still believe that Easyjet does (did) not enforce the one-bag rule when light load.
The EasyJet hand luggage rules are actually quite complex and have indeed changed multiple times, with various aspects at play:

- EasyJet plus, upfront, and/or speedy boarding were never allowed a larger bag than other passengers;

- However, in 2013, EasyJet introduced a "guaranteed hand luggage" policy for smaller bags (up to 50cm height) while authorised cabin luggage op up to 56cm "could" be tagged in the hold for free if required for space reason. BUT that guaranteed hand luggage size was removed in August 2015, so now, everyone's main piece of hand luggage has officially the same chance of being put in the hold regardless of size;

- In February last year, EasyJet allowed EasyJet plus card holder and upfront passengers a second piece of hand luggage for free. This is still not allowed for other passengers;

- Informally, in terms of the main bag, because EasyJet plus, upfront, and speedy boarding board first, in practice, they are almost guaranteed that their size compliant should be allowed on board if they insist as long as they are at the gate on time to queue before the rest and therefore board first as there will be space in the lockers by that time;

- But then, conversely, on full flights, at some airports like NCE (the example I know best), staff now approach people with everything but very small (but still authorised) hand luggage to ask them to volunteer to put it in the hold for free. When this has been done, my experience is that this is proposed just as eagerly when I am on a normal ticket or on a ticket that allows speedy boarding. Equally in both cases, when I have insisted, I have received the same answers (mixture of vague threat that if there is no space it will need to be checked in anyway and then I'll be made to pay or leaving me alone and saying ok depending on the agent, but I always managed to keep it at the end);

On your other point about what happens on quite empty flights, what you mention is very possible although I'd very much doubt that it is an actual policy but it is certainly quite possible that agents don't feel a need to enforce hand luggage rules on flights where thy know that it will not be a problem. That said, this seems to be true of most airlines I can think of, and I have effectively never really seen hand luggage carefully controlled upon boarding any empty flight by BA or AF or LX which sometimes do those checks on busy flights. That said, I'll admit that my point here is very general because in truth, I have never been on a mostly empty U2 flight, most of mine have been very healthily busy!
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The EasyJet hand luggage rules are actually quite complex and have indeed changed multiple times, with various aspects at play:

- EasyJet plus, upfront, and/or speedy boarding were never allowed a larger bag than other passengers;

- However, in 2013, EasyJet introduced a "guaranteed hand luggage" policy for smaller bags (up to 50cm height) while authorised cabin luggage op up to 56cm "could" be tagged in the hold for free if required for space reason. BUT that guaranteed hand luggage size was removed in August 2015, so now, everyone's main piece of hand luggage has officially the same chance of being put in the hold regardless of size;

- In February last year, EasyJet allowed EasyJet plus card holder and upfront passengers a second piece of hand luggage for free. This is still not allowed for other passengers;

- Informally, in terms of the main bag, because EasyJet plus, upfront, and speedy boarding board first, in practice, they are almost guaranteed that their size compliant should be allowed on board if they insist as long as they are at the gate on time to queue before the rest and therefore board first as there will be space in the lockers by that time;

- But then, conversely, on full flights, at some airports like NCE (the example I know best), staff now approach people with everything but very small (but still authorised) hand luggage to ask them to volunteer to put it in the hold for free. When this has been done, my experience is that this is proposed just as eagerly when I am on a normal ticket or on a ticket that allows speedy boarding. Equally in both cases, when I have insisted, I have received the same answers (mixture of vague threat that if there is no space it will need to be checked in anyway and then I'll be made to pay or leaving me alone and saying ok depending on the agent, but I always managed to keep it at the end);

On your other point about what happens on quite empty flights, what you mention is very possible although I'd very much doubt that it is an actual policy but it is certainly quite possible that agents don't feel a need to enforce hand luggage rules on flights where thy know that it will not be a problem. That said, this seems to be true of most airlines I can think of, and I have effectively never really seen hand luggage carefully controlled upon boarding any empty flight by BA or AF or LX which sometimes do those checks on busy flights. That said, I'll admit that my point here is very general because in truth, I have never been on a mostly empty U2 flight, most of mine have been very healthily busy!
Thanks for the clarification.
But unless my memory fails me even more horribly than usual, I believe that EZY "guaranteed" the 56cm bag for upfront pax between 2013 and August 2015, while only 50 for others. Update, actually I just checked on internet that this was the case until August 2015.

My experience with EZY is probably more limited than yours. Last year I had five departures from ORY (2), NCE (2) and DBV (1), always upfront. I typically book 1D & F (for my charming wife) and we never got a pax in the middle seat. As this is for holiday, I can choose cheap flights and the load was never more than 85%. As usual they make an announcement at the gate regarding voluntary checking of bags. As we go through the counter with speady boarding, we were never questioned about our bags, eventhough we had a second laptop or lady bag (but were ready to pack it in our single bag if requested). I do not know if they get stricter for non-speedy boarding pax. That was before the change in policy that I was not aware of.
This is a small sample size, so not really significant.

I agree with you that most airlines tend to be sensible and agents relax at boarding when the flight has a light load. The problem is when an airline "owns" a terminal (like AF at CDG) and the hand baggage check is performed centrally. Then there is no possibility for flight-dependent flexibility.

As a side note, I enjoy the no-weight-limit applied by EZY.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I do love it when a320 operating airlines try to claim their 8kg weight limit is for "safety reasons". Easyjet and the US carriers prove that this is just a lie to try to get more money from the passengers.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:25 pm

Thanks for the clarification.
But unless my memory fails me even more horribly than usual, I believe that EZY "guaranteed" the 56cm bag for upfront pax between 2013 and August 2015, while only 50 for others. Update, actually I just checked on internet that this was the case until August 2015.
Ah, thanks, I did not realise that the 56cm bag was guaranteed for speedy boarding pax till the drop of the guaranteed cabin bag.

My experience with EZY is probably more limited than yours. Last year I had five departures from ORY (2), NCE (2) and DBV (1), always upfront. I typically book 1D & F (for my charming wife) and we never got a pax in the middle seat. As this is for holiday, I can choose cheap flights and the load was never more than 85%. As usual they make an announcement at the gate regarding voluntary checking of bags. As we go through the counter with speady boarding, we were never questioned about our bags, eventhough we had a second laptop or lady bag (but were ready to pack it in our single bag if requested).
But that's the thing as an "upfront" passenger, you are formally entitled to the second bag! It is the official rule that you can take it and there is no need to be ready to pack it into the larger one unless you stop buying those very nice seats!

My U2 flights last year have been on a limited number of routes (1 to 3 of each!): NCE-ORY-NCE, NCE-VCE-NCE, NCE-SXF-NCE, NCE-LGW-NCE, LGW-LYS-LGW, LGW-NTE-LGW, and to be honest, I don't think I had a single flight with a load below 90% load or so except one flight from NTE but to be honest I can't remember distinctly if the gate people behaved any differently than usual!

As a side note, I enjoy the no-weight-limit applied by EZY.
Me too! It is also, at least virtually, BA's policy as well and I like it for the same reason (in theory BA has a weight limit of 23kg for the main piece of hand luggage but in truth, while I have seen the large or even the smaller bag measured - and I hate the size reduction of the latter - I don't remember ever seeing BA gate staff weigh hand luggage in (literally) hundreds of flights.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But that's the thing as an "upfront" passenger, you are formally entitled to the second bag! It is the official rule that you can take it and there is no need to be ready to pack it into the larger one unless you stop buying those very nice seats!
Naughty Orbitmic. You are trying to make me sound more Gaga than I am. As I stated in may post, that was "last year" and "That was before the change in policy". So that was at a time when the second bag was not allowed even for speedy boarders.

Returning to the thread title, I find AF policy of focusing on weight (12kg) and enforcing it stupid relative to their European competitors. The problem of hand luggage is space in the overhead bin. I do not see how a weight limit solves it. When I travel in Europe, I usually carry a lot of papers in my bag and that is heavy. I do not wish to go through the major inconvenience of checking a bag. Maybe that's a way to generate more revenues or induce you to fly business. Maybe AF will soon ask heavier pax to pay an extra charge based on their body weight.

Last edited by brunos; Apr 30, 2016 at 6:16 pm
Old May 1, 2016, 3:05 am

Naughty Orbitmic. You are trying to make me sound more Gaga than I am. As I stated in may post, that was "last year" and "That was before the change in policy". So that was at a time when the second bag was not allowed even for speedy boarders.
While I will shamefully admit that I have occasionally wondered if one or two FT posters were indeed "gaga" in my few years on it, you are most definitely not one of them!!!

Sorry about the confusion, as the second bag has been allowed for upfront/plus etc pax since February 2015, I'll admit that I had absolutely not realised that you meant pre-change of rules when you said 'last year'. Thanks for clarifying and sorry about the confusion, which I can promise was in good faith (even if it may very well make me come across as pretty thick! ).

And again, fully agree with your broader point that AF's (and many others') focus on weight seems absurd to me. Even without just looking at U2, BA, etc, onsidering US airlines' paranoia with court cases, I can't possibly imagine them maintaining their no-weight concept if there was any serious risk that heavy bags would result in a luggage compartment breaking and injuring a passenger who would undoubtedly be in a position to sue them for millions.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
While I will shamefully admit that I have occasionally wondered if one or two FT posters were indeed "gaga" in my few years on it, you are most definitely not one of them!!!
Names please !
Old May 1, 2016, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Names please !
Let's not go there!!! But I am pretty sure that on the couple of for a on which I have wondered, many other posters will have shared my doubts (in fact in both cases, many people expressed that in no uncertain and arguably rather rude terms, which I do not approve in the first place).
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Exclamation Beware : they are now checking SkyP lane also

Hi everyone, posting from CDG 2E-M
Departing from 2E this morning (very crowded as usual) traveling long-haul in J. Arriving at the SkyP passeport lane (less people than at PARAFES), a lady from Veritas suddenly showed up asking me to weigh my carry-ons. I had 2 (a cabin size suitcase and a laptop case). Total was 21.5 kg (I was fearing the worst in fact, my original intention was to check my suitcase, but there were too many people at the SkyP check-in counter so I decided to keep them). She told me (nicely) that I was allowed only 18kg but she let me go ^
I am sure that flying J was a key decision factor for her. If I would have been in Y, I am sure I would have been sent back to the check-in counter.
So be aware and prepared...
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Departing from 2E this morning (very crowded as usual) traveling long-haul in J. Arriving at the SkyP passeport lane (less people than at PARAFES), a lady from Veritas suddenly showed up asking me to weigh my carry-ons. I had 2 (a cabin size suitcase and a laptop case). Total was 21.5 kg (I was fearing the worst in fact, my original intention was to check my suitcase, but there were too many people at the SkyP check-in counter so I decided to keep them). She told me (nicely) that I was allowed only 18kg but she let me go ^
I am sure that flying J was a key decision factor for her. If I would have been in Y, I am sure I would have been sent back to the check-in counter.
If in Y you would only be allowed 12kg, right?
Old Jul 10, 2016, 6:16 am

I guess one more reason to stop connecting via CDG...
Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
What happens if you decline to weigh it for these contract staff? Or claim that the check-in counter staff already weighed your baggage and you are not interested in indulging them?

I am not talking about saying it to them in a rude or demeaning manner. I mean kindly declining. Anyone have actual experience with this? I know they can technically call airport staff or make things worse for you, but as Goldorak posted, their actual behavior can vary from the rules, especially with a paid J ticket (which is what I'll be flying the rest of this year thru CDG). Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Ditto
I guess one more reason to stop connecting via CDG...
If you read this forum (and others) you will see that this kind of measures are literally spreading around. And, for this, I think connecting in CDG is easier than departing from CDG (less enforcement).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.