Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDG - MRU: AF or MK?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I have flown both airlines in both Y and J on thaht route, and that is another vote for MK, particularly in Y (a bit more dubious in J). That said, apart from the service, note that one airline has day flight and the other night flights so that is a possible important criterion too (I tend to prefer the day flight in Y).
What about AF W vs MK Y?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: Gold: VS, SQ, AF/KL
Just got back from MRU. I got my level miles on the CDG-MRU leg flying on AF5098 operated by MK45.
Thank you everyone for answering my questions. Flight was great... I got 9K and didn't have anyone next to me. I'd fly MK again.

One question. I flew Air France from JFK to CDG (AF23) and then had a 10 hour connection in CDG before flying MK45. Somehow someway, even with a yellow AF priority tag, my bag was not present in MRU upon arrival. I did get my bag delivered to the hotel the next day (32 hours after my arrival.) MK baggage services were courteous and they told me AF never handed them my bag in CDG. I just don't understand how my bag got 'lost' in CDG during a 10 hour connection where there were no delays in any of my flights. What do you suggest
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:27 am

What do you suggest I do? Is it worth filing a complaint? My gut feels it is AF's fault. I'll admit this is the first time I ever had my luggage lost with a priority tag that did not involve delayed flights.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
My suggestion is this: When you are transferring from one airline to another with luggage checked through - even if on a single ticket - always bring the luggage tag to the attention of an agent of the next airline in sufficient time before boarding commences. The less straightforward the connection (i.e. 10 hour layover; not a "usual" connection at that hub [as would, i.e. AF-KL] the more this becomes relevant.

You will be wasting your own time, and other peoples', if you file a complaint. You got your luggage. No airline guarantees that your luggage will arrive at the same time and on the same aircraft as you do.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by trigleek
I just don't understand how my bag got 'lost' in CDG during a 10 hour connection where there were no delays in any of my flights. What do you suggest
Those things happen, not only on connections, I once had my bag not loaded in AMS, I checked it in the morning (counters open at 5AM) for an evening flight, when I arrived at my destination they already knew my bag didn't make it and told me it will be loaded on the flight the next day...

What do you suggest I do? Is it worth filing a complaint? My gut feels it is AF's fault. I'll admit this is the first time I ever had my luggage lost with a priority tag that did not involve delayed flights.
If you had incurred any expenses due to the delayed luggage (i.e. you had to buy clothes/toiletries etc.) and have the invoices you can claim it against MK. (It is the responsibility of the airline operating the last segment)

Originally Posted by irishguy28
No airline guarantees that your luggage will arrive at the same time and on the same aircraft as you do.
Maybe not, but they are still required to compensate you for expenses if the luggage was delayed, they might also offer you compensation if you haven't.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Just got back from MRU. I got my level miles on the CDG-MRU leg flying on AF5098 operated by MK45.
Thank you everyone for answering my questions. Flight was great... I got 9K and didn't have anyone next to me. I'd fly MK again.

One question. I flew Air France from JFK to CDG (AF23) and then had a 10 hour connection in CDG before flying MK45. Somehow someway, even with a yellow AF priority tag, my bag was not present in MRU upon arrival. I did get my bag delivered to the hotel the next day (32 hours after my arrival.) MK baggage services were courteous and they told me AF never handed them my bag in CDG. I just don't understand how my bag got 'lost' in CDG during a 10 hour connection where there were no delays in any of my flights. What do you suggest
We suggest nothing
That kind of things happen and unfortunately, it happened to you.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:34 am

Okie dokes I'll save my time then. Thank you everyone for your reply.

Upon arrival in MRU, the lady at baggage services was really nice and did tell me missed connection luggage tend to happen for flights from USA and Canada. Not sure why. So if any of you guys are travelling to MRU via CDG from USA/Canada, make sure to do what irishguy suggested to do!
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Irishguy28 is quite right.
You transfer between two different airlines. MK is a minor airline at CDG. Because of such a long transit you bag was stored in a common holding area. CDG system is not good with those.
Best is to go to MK counter and ask them to locate your bag.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 6:18 am

yup brunos and irishguy, I'll do that next time!

BTW, before I forget, since the CDG-MRU portion was listed as AF5098/5099 flight on my ticket, I had access to the premium lanes at CDG and MRU. Also had access at the Air Mauritius lounge in MRU and they placed priority luggage tag too.

I'd fly Air Mauritius again.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by brunos
Irishguy28 is quite right.
You transfer between two different airlines. MK is a minor airline at CDG. Because of such a long transit you bag was stored in a common holding area. CDG system is not good with those.
Best is to go to MK counter and ask them to locate your bag.
If the flight was AF-AF to MRU, would the checked bag be placed in the common holding area as well?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
yup brunos and irishguy, I'll do that next time!

BTW, before I forget, since the CDG-MRU portion was listed as AF5098/5099 flight on my ticket, I had access to the premium lanes at CDG and MRU. Also had access at the Air Mauritius lounge in MRU and they placed priority luggage tag too.

I'd fly Air Mauritius again.
trigleek, how is the IFE in Economy on MK? Trip reports I see mention that there are only six movies, and those are played at centrally-determined times. Is that so? Is the airshow any good?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 6:31 pm

There were definitely more than 6 movies on my flight and the movies were all on-demand. From the website, here is the list of inflight entertainment they currently have:
http://www.airmauritius.com/mkexperi...40EA330Mar.pdf

The screens are small though sufficient for the long ride. Economy in their A340-300s are in 2-4-2 configuration where most of the folks were either honeymooners or families going on vacation. Families tend to be on the 4-seater center section and honeymooners on the 2-seaters.
Airshow was good. Tells you current route, altitude, time left to destination, etc. both in English and French. They also provided economy passengers with a small yellow pouch that had a pair of socks, pen, eye mask, and toothbrush.
If you do fly Air Mauritius, I suggest getting the bulkhead seats so you won't feel claustrophobic and no one in front of you will recline their seat!
Old Apr 26, 2016, 6:36 pm

One more thing before I forget ---- before my flight for the JFK-CDG leg, I got an email offer to upgrade to business class (my ticket was for economy) for $573. When checking-in at JFK, the gate agent offered me the same price. I politely declined since the aircraft was A330 and didn't feature the new J seats.
At MRU, the upgrade from economy to business was 25000 Mauritian Rupees, or roughly $712. Just an FYI.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:53 pm

Unlucky with the baggage trigleek. I hope you had a good time in MRU regardless of this.

I know plenty of people whose baggage hasn't arrived via connecting in CDG. In fact I know of a friend of mine who travelled with a companion on the same flights, yet her bag didn't make it on the 2nd flight but her companions did!

Their baggage transfer system sounds pretty ropey for a large airport!
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Moist
Their baggage transfer system sounds pretty ropey for a large airport!
Neither better nor worse than at any comparable airport. It works pretty well when you think about it (the incidence of delayed/misplaced bags is very very low).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.