Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF FCO - CDG - DOH - Can I check my bag in Early?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
AF FCO - CDG - DOH - Can I check my bag in Early?

This might be the wrong forum, but couldn't figure out where else to ask.

Flying from FCO to CDG, flight lands at 9am (AF), and the connecting flight on a different airlines is at 3pm. Rather than sit around for 6 hours, I thought I would squeeze in a quick visit to the Eiffel Tower (weather depending, as I have lounge access otherwise).

Once I land - is there anyway to check in my bags early or would I have to store them while I head off (is there a place to do so at CDG?). And generally how long do you need to go and come back from the airport, i'm hoping it's enough time for a quick breakfast and site visit and back to airport then?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I assume you are travelling with Qatar Airways.

As CDG is not a hub, they won't have a permanently-staffed check-in desk. Typically, check-in opens around 3 hours prior to each flight. So I would not count on being able to check in early.

The CDG website should provide you with a list of left-luggage offices.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I assume you are travelling with Qatar Airways.

As CDG is not a hub, they won't have a permanently-staffed check-in desk. Typically, check-in opens around 3 hours prior to each flight. So I would not count on being able to check in early.

The CDG website should provide you with a list of left-luggage offices.
Mate you're everywhere! Thanks, that should help.

Anyone have any idea on distances in Paris? How long to take a quick visit to Eiffel Tower, some brekky and then back to check in?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
I would allow an hour each way if taking the RER. You might be able to do it in 45 min., but that would be the bare minimum. A taxi would probably be the same time, but a lot more expensive. So, now you're down to four hours. Knock off another hour and a half to two hours for check-in(maybe a little less if in J, more if in Y), and you now have ca. two hours for brekky and the Eiffel Tower. Depending on lines, and how high up on the tower you want to go, you might have just enough time for this excursion.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
The luggage storage place is in T2 just above the train station, where the Sheraton hotel is. From FCO, you will arrive in T2F, so in less than 10 walk you can store your bags there and just take the stairs down to take the train to Paris.

When you return to CDG using the train, be careful as there are 2 stops. Get off at the last one (CDG2), go up to pick-up your bags and then take the automated train CDGVAL (parallel to the train station) to reach terminal 1 for your flight on QR to DOH.

Enjoy
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by arkangel
I would allow an hour each way if taking the RER. You might be able to do it in 45 min., but that would be the bare minimum. A taxi would probably be the same time, but a lot more expensive. So, now you're down to four hours. Knock off another hour and a half to two hours for check-in(maybe a little less if in J, more if in Y), and you now have ca. two hours for brekky and the Eiffel Tower. Depending on lines, and how high up on the tower you want to go, you might have just enough time for this excursion.
Also depends on if FCO flight is delayed, wait for bags to arrive, and queues at the Eiffel Tower which can be very long in this period.

I would first ask at fco if the could check your bag through. 90% chance they'll say no but ask anyway and have all flight details handy! As a yes would give you some well useful time. If not I agree with Arkangel you want to take tube back around 12 (check your route in advance) for a 3pm QR flight
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Also depends on if FCO flight is delayed, wait for bags to arrive, and queues at the Eiffel Tower which can be very long in this period.
Is it really that long a wait in November, off-peak? Either way i've been to the top before, maybe I'll just spend extra long at brekky and wait for plane to have lunch.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by jubbing
Is it really that long a wait in November, off-peak? Either way i've been to the top before, maybe I'll just spend extra long at brekky and wait for plane to have lunch.
No, if you are off peak it should be short queues, but bear in mind that not all of November is off peak at all. 1 November and 11 November are bank holidays in France and several European countries have school breaks around that period.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
What you can also do is book your ticket in advance. It can be done on the Eiffel tower's website and allows you to select a specific time and date for your visit. Once you have your ticket you can skip the first (often longest) queue and head straight to the elevator / stairs. However, you would still have to queue on the second floor if you wish to get to the top.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:01 am
Suspended

Honestly, I would not recommend you to do so. 1H by train or 45min by taxi one way. Each ticket of the Effel Tower is for a specific time (30 min I think), if you are not in time, they may not let you get in. As Chuvash said, there is a line for the 3rd Floor, but there is also a line to get from the 3rd to the 2nd, and from the 2nd to the bottom (last time it tooks me 30min for each line). And of course this is the best case scenario, don' forget potential Taxi or Train strikes
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Jeff_
Honestly, I would not recommend you to do so. 1H by train or 45min by taxi one way. Each ticket of the Effel Tower is for a specific time (30 min I think), if you are not in time, they may not let you get in. As Chuvash said, there is a line for the 3rd Floor, but there is also a line to get from the 3rd to the 2nd, and from the 2nd to the bottom (last time it tooks me 30min for each line). And of course this is the best case scenario, don' forget potential Taxi or Train strikes
+1. I would hope but not book anything in advance. So many things can go wrong!!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like great advice, will take it as it comes thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
Originally Posted by Jeff_
And of course this is the best case scenario, don' forget potential Taxi or Train strikes
Or both! Don't forget air traffic controllers, CDG running out of glycerol or AF pilots.

Nonetheless, if you decide to postpone your trip to 2025 (at best) you might be able to enjoy the brand new CDG express that will drastically cut the transit time to 45'-1h for a mere 50€ one way. and let you explore the wonders around Gare de l'Est.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.