Credit where due: AF's award ticket refund policy is tops

Old Sep 23, 16, 7:50 am

Programs: FB Gold
I booked 3 award tickets with FB for 3 people (incl. myself). The routing is EWR-HNL-EWR with a zillion stops. Now, after 3 months of the booking all!!! sectors had a schedule change and a transfer in LAX turned from 6 hours into 3, just not enough to go the famous In N out burger near the runway. I really want to cancel the booking and not pay the 45 per ticket. Any tips and tricks?
Old Sep 23, 16, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
You have a valid - and perhaps more desirable - connection [without knowing the other "zillion" stops, it is not apparent what the impact on your overall travel time is, but taking reducing a 6-hour to a 3-hour stopover is usually viewed as a good thing].

Good and all as In'n'Out is, I don't think this is a reason for complaint - and I doubt a Flying Blue agent would, if you rang up and pleaded your case on its merits. It wasn't a good enough reason to take your vacation in LAX rather than HNL

You may have some grounds, given your "zillion" stops and the multiple schedule changes, to ask if perhaps you could be moved onto a more direct routing - if your selection/choice of the multiple stops was, in some way, related to engineering a long LAX layover. But I don't see how you can now ask to be moved to a later LAX-HNL flight for free.
Old Sep 23, 16, 3:49 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Iberia Silver
Originally Posted by MrTL View Post
I booked 3 award tickets with FB for 3 people (incl. myself). The routing is EWR-HNL-EWR with a zillion stops. Now, after 3 months of the booking all!!! sectors had a schedule change and a transfer in LAX turned from 6 hours into 3, just not enough to go the famous In N out burger near the runway. I really want to cancel the booking and not pay the 45 per ticket. Any tips and tricks?
I think the schedule change is reason enough to cancel the booking for free. You can say you and your clients had planned a business meeting in LA and now you can't attend it because of the change, hence you will need to rebook on a revenue ticket ... just don't mention the burgers lol.
Old Sep 24, 16, 6:37 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
I'd say that both sides have a point.

Firstly, the pax has a schedule change, which means that timings of the layover will be different. This may impact arrangements during that layover and could be reason for cancelation.

On the other hand the airline sold a ticket from EWR to HNL. Assuming the departure and arrival times at those two points are still the same, the airline delivers exactly what it promised. The stop at LAX was not something the customer purchased as a product, what was purchased was a roundtrip EWR-HNL. The only obligation that the airline has is to bring the pax from origin to destination within the original departure/arrival times. If the pax _had_ to be at LAX the pax should have purchased the flights with a stopover at LAX, and not just EWR-HNL.

Personally I would say that the change is reason for cancellation (and I suspect FB will allow it too), however some employees may argue the other point too and try to hold the OP to the cancellation fees.
Old Sep 26, 16, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
OMG - I missed that the pax wanted to completely cancel a trip to Hawai'i because of a reduction in layover time from 6 to 3 hours at LAX.

That'll be a hard one to plead!!!
Old Sep 26, 16, 2:59 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Iberia Silver
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
OMG - I missed that the pax wanted to completely cancel a trip to Hawai'i because of a reduction in layover time from 6 to 3 hours at LAX.

That'll be a hard one to plead!!!
Can't wait to hear the outcome 😂

Search this Thread