Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

AF flight KUL-CDG delayed 24h because part of the crew was stuck in DPS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2015, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many

Originally Posted by PNC Contact website
Un avion Air France qui devait relier Kuala Lumpur à Paris a vu son vol repoussé de 24 heures à cause d’une session de surf des membres de l’équipage. Le vol devait décoller hier et décollera finalement le samedi 11 juillet à 23h15. « Le vol a été reporté de 24 heures en raison de l’indisponibilité de certains membres d’équipage« , explique un porte-parole d’Air France. Il doit être assuré en Boeing B777-200 avec 3 pilotes et 12 membres d’équipage.

La raison de ce retard est qu’une partie de l’équipage est bloqué à Denpasar car ils ont pris un avion pour aller surfer à Bali. Ils n’ont juste pas envisagé qu’il y aurait une éruption volcanique qui clouerait au sol les avions pendant plusieurs heures…

A l’heure actuelle l’aéroport de Denpasar n’est pas encore rouvert et les membres d’équipage sont donc toujours loin de Bali. Les 293 passagers du vol ont été relogés et une indemnisation et des dédommagements sont actuellement à l’étude selon le porte-parole de la compagnie aérienne.

En escale les membres d’équipage d’un avion sont considères en repos et peuvent donc faire ce qu’ils veulent, si certaines compagnies imposent des règles de présence a l’hôtel ou autres ce n’est pas le cas d’Air France. Après ce genre d’évènement il est assez compliqué d’expliquer que les nouveaux FTL sont dangereux et que les navigants ont besoin de plus de repos. Une session comme celle ci n’est pas reposante, entre l’activité sportive elle même et les transferts en avion il y a sans doute beaucoup plus efficace comme solution pour être frais, dispo et reposé quand on rejoint l’avion…

Souhaitons qu’ils aient au moins trouver des tubes dignes de ce nom et fait une bonne session !
http://www.pnc-contact.com/2015/07/1...attitude-79462

Part of AF crew took a flight to DPS for a surf session during their resting days in KUL. Volcano ashes prevented any flight to take off from DPS so the crew was not able to be back in KUL for the July 10th flight back to CDG. Flight has therefore been delayed by 24h.

Too bad the AF KUL route will be closed soon

Edit : AF website says that AF241 KUL-CDG has been cancelled replaced by AF8399 KUL-GGK and AF259 CGK-CDG.

Last edited by bodory; Jul 11, 2015 at 2:18 pm
Old Jul 11, 2015, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bodory
http://www.pnc-contact.com/2015/07/1...attitude-79462

Part of AF crew took a flight to DPS for a surf session during their resting days in KUL. Volcano ashes prevented any flight to take off from DPS so the crew was not able to be back in KUL for the July 10th flight back to CDG. Flight has therefore been delayed by 24h.

Too bad the AF KUL route will be closed soon

Edit : AF website says that AF241 KUL-CDG has been cancelled replaced by AF8399 KUL-GGK and AF259 CGK-CDG.
With MH shrinking and other legacy airlines cutting flights, it's getting harder to get to KUL without using a LCC.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond

When you think about the cost of all this for AF, I hope that those missing crew members will be fired immediately when they return in CDG.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Goldorak

When you think about the cost of all this for AF, I hope that those missing crew members will be fired immediately when they return in CDG.
For doing what they are absolutely permitted to do?

A laughable suggestion which will not happen.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Often1

Indeed. They had a day off and just like anyone who has a day off they can do with it whatever they want! It's certainly not their fault that the volcano erupted, so they can't be blamed for anything.

Last edited by Zembla; Jul 12, 2015 at 12:58 am
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Zembla
Indeed. They had a day off and just like anyone who has a day off they can do with it whatever they want! It's certainly not their fault that the volcano erupted, so they can't be blamed for anything.
I am not sure that the situation is as simple as "they had a day off". These are rest days. Many airlines impose some rest restrictions on staff, especially pilots. AF has always been lax and following incidents/accidents where pilots had been partying before the flight, AF has tried to be stricter on rest periods before the flight.
Staff are supposed to be ready to take their duty. Considering as force majeure a trip where the travel component from Malaysian hotel to Bali beach and vice versa takes about 6 hours (3 hours flights) is far fetched. As every traveller knows, there can be many reasons for trouble. First, flights between KUL and DPS are not frequent,in this heavy holiday seasons irrops can create chaos; there can be accident on the Bali roads; storms do happen in that period; volcano ashes or fire smokes are not infrequent in Indonesia,... A very stupid decision on the part of AF staff.
But any attempt to impose sanctions will be met by immediate reaction by unions.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Zembla
They certainly have the right to do whatever they want during their resting period. But they have the duty and obligation to be present on-time to ensure the flight, especially from an outstation where there is no reserve crew (at CDG, this kind of situation is easily handled with reserve crews). For this, they have to take necessary precautions to ensure that their activities during their layover will not impair their ability to report in due time at the airport. And some crew members failed to report on-time because they were surfing somewhere at 3 hrs flight time from KUL ! Those guys put themselves in a very risky situation from the beginning, even without this volcanic eruption, going very very far from the station they are supposed to be, in a region and period of the year with a lot of storms so flights can be cancelled easily.

You can disagree with me, no problem with that, but laughable ?? Next time your flight for an important meeting or for your vacations will be cancelled because some crew members are absent because they thought that they could have fun elsewhere, I'm not sure you'll consider this laughable :roll eyes:

And if you calculate roughly for 250 pax what will be the cost for AF of this surfing adventure of some of its crew members, you reach easily 100 KEuros (hotel night, rebooking on other airlines, financial and/or miles compensations, etc). The most expensive surfing adventure ! Have fun

Last edited by Goldorak; Jul 12, 2015 at 6:06 am
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak

And if you calculate roughly for 250 pax what will be the cost for AF of this surfing adventure of some of its crew members, you reach easily 100 KEuros (hotel night, rebooking on other airlines, financial and/or miles compensations, etc). The most expensive surfing adventure ! Have fun
The cost is probably much higher.
First, it is not clear whether the flight is only delayed by 24 hours. DPS has been closed, briefly reopened and closed again. Huge number of stranded pax. AF staff are probably on staff tickets which have no priority in case of irrops. AF will have to claim a few favors to get them back quickly.

Second, we are in very heavy holiday travel season where planes and crews are in full use. The missing plane and full crew will be sorely missed for the next rotations.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 4:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Moreover, AF would have to pay each passenger a compensation fo EUR 600 due to EC261/2004.
While the volcanic ash chaos can be considered to be force majeure, it certainly should not affect KUL-CDG.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 6:18 am

resting day =/= off duty day
AF is still paying allowance to the staff outstation.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Well I find the comments somewhat too harsh.
Of course the situation surely caused issues to most passengers who were delayed. Still, the volcanic irruption is clearly a force majeure.

I myself missed a business meeting as my Sunday evening's return AF flight from Genova was cancelled: can I be blamed to have to stay one more night at (beautiful) Portofino?
Old Jul 12, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Of course the situation surely caused issues to most passengers who were delayed. Still, the volcanic irruption is clearly a force majeure.
Sure, the volcanic activity is a force majeure for airlines departing DPS and nearby affected airports, but not for AF departing KUL. Otherwise with your logic any delays/cancellation can be blamed on some volcanoes being active somewhere...
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:36 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
I Don't know what the specific rules are at Air France, but I just asked the Chef de Cabine on my flight. He basically said this:

Originally Posted by jjjohn
resting day =/= off duty day
AF is still paying allowance to the staff outstation.
The days spent at destination *are* duty days. They are not the same as off duty days spent at home. During the so-called layover days crew are under the responsibility of the employer, especially for insurance purposes.

Basically during those layover days they are free what to do, as long as:
1. They do nothing that violates specific instructions given by the airline. For instance, in some locations crew are not allowed to leave the hotel because of security concerns.
2. They do nothing that would not be covered by the insurance
3. (This one is crucial) They do report back at the reporting time at the reporting place (usually the crew hotel), ready to fly, i.e. in mental and physical condition to fly, uniforms ready, etc

A crew member that does not report back at reporting time will be formally reprimanded, but not fired if this happens only once.

Originally Posted by nicolas75

I myself missed a business meeting as my Sunday evening's return AF flight from Genova was cancelled: can I be blamed to have to stay one more night at (beautiful) Portofino?
This is a different situation, so your analogy does not hold. Yours was a trip during your off time to Italy. It would be different if you were sent to Rome by your employer for three days, and on the first afternoon and evening you decided that you have some un-busy time and you go to Capri to enjoy yourself. If then you got stuck because the Capri ferries go on strike and you don't attend the business meetings that you were sent to Rome for on the second day then your employer would rightfully ask the question why you went to Capri. Surely, you are free to move when not working and probably no one would bother whether you went to Capri or to the moon if you did turn up to your meeting on the second morning. But there is something even in French labour law where time on a business trip isn't as free as your own private weekend.

(Of course I made up this example and I know it takes more time to go from Rome to Capri, but the point is the difference between off time and not-so-off time)

Originally Posted by ajs123
Sure, the volcanic activity is a force majeure for airlines departing DPS and nearby affected airports, but not for AF departing KUL. Otherwise with your logic any delays/cancellation can be blamed on some volcanoes being active somewhere...
Precisely. Same with crews that get stuck on the way to the airport because of winter weather. If the crew bus with all ready-to-fly crew gets stuck in bad weather on the motorway from the downtown Chicago hotel on its way to O'Hare that is one thing and no action will be taken against crew. If an individual crew member does not report back in time because he went skiing in Utah during his layover and gets stuck in snow on his way back from Park City, then that is another, not acceptable case.

All in all, firing the crew members would only work if they were in clear and dramatic breach of their employment contract or other provisions. But even if the consequences for pax and the cost for the airline were "dramatic", I would not assume the airline would go that far. However, just shrugging shoulders and saying "force majeure" and apologizing away the crew's behaviour, I personally would find that insufficient and I believe so does the airline.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
While I am always amazed to see such anecdotic news on the press (cancelled flights happen every day in the world for numerous reasons including because of unavailable crew members), I 100% agree with San Gottardo.
I would seriously be surprised not to see a "proximity" rule in crew working contracts, stating that they cannot leave more than x hours away from their hotel, precisely to avoid such issues.
Therefore, it would be legitimate for the employer to take appropriate disciplinary mesures if they want to.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
The days spent at destination *are* duty days. They are not the same as off duty days spent at home. During the so-called layover days crew are under the responsibility of the employer, especially for insurance purposes.

Basically during those layover days they are free what to do, as long as:
1. They do nothing that violates specific instructions given by the airline. For instance, in some locations crew are not allowed to leave the hotel because of security concerns.
2. They do nothing that would not be covered by the insurance
3. (This one is crucial) They do report back at the reporting time at the reporting place (usually the crew hotel), ready to fly, i.e. in mental and physical condition to fly, uniforms ready, etc

A crew member that does not report back at reporting time will be formally reprimanded, but not fired if this happens only once.
I fully agree with you too and the part of your post I have quoted is indeed the key point in this story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.