Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rookie Mistake

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
The only major carrier I know of which protects across tickets (it is tickets, not PNR's, which matter) is AA. Neither AF nor DL do.
I cannot believe that you would not be protected in case you are on a single PNR holding multiple e-tickets with flights from the same carrier if the PNR is created by the airline itself.
I found myself in situations where the PNR is split on several e-tickets and I discovered it when receiving the confirmation.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by olivedel
I cannot believe that you would not be protected in case you are on a single PNR holding multiple e-tickets with flights from the same carrier if the PNR is created by the airline itself.
I found myself in situations where the PNR is split on several e-tickets and I discovered it when receiving the confirmation.
You are correct, what counts is a single PNR, whatever the number of different tickets associated with this PNR. It is common to have different ticket numbers when you have multiple carriers in one PNR.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
https://paristoolkit.com/airport/paris_cdg_orly_bus.htm

Private transfer a good option perhaps?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
You are correct, what counts is a single PNR, whatever the number of different tickets associated with this PNR. It is common to have different ticket numbers when you have multiple carriers in one PNR.
yes and no. This holds true only if the tickets are conjunction tickets. This would not normally happen with a ticket bought directly from an airline but a TA could in theory bring several unrelated tickets under a single PNR.* This would not protect you, at any rate as far as the airlines are concerned. You may or may not have some recourse against the TA in this situation.

*: I have personally never come across this but I understand that some US-based TAs do occasionally do that.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
but a TA could in theory bring several unrelated tickets under a single PNR.* This would not protect you, at any rate as far as the airlines are concerned. You may or may not have some recourse against the TA in this situation.

*: I have personally never come across this but I understand that some US-based TAs do occasionally do that.
That is correct. I have had that many times (TA makes several totally unrelated bookings on the day, fits them all into the same PNR, and then indeed you are not protected) so "single PNR" is technically not correct indeed, but similarly, neither is "single ticket" as indeed, as mentioned by many, most multi airline reservations (as well as single airline reservations of more than 4 segments) will show as multiple tickets. So it is really a "single booking" or as you say one or conjunction tickets, but I always feel that conjunction tickets is a label inherited from the past.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:02 am
Original Poster

As it turns out, this won't be an issue. We've decided to ditch the ORY-LYS leg, stay a few days in Paris, and take the TGV home. Might as well, right?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by firecracker725
As it turns out, this won't be an issue. We've decided to ditch the ORY-LYS leg, stay a few days in Paris, and take the TGV home. Might as well, right?
Errr... no! Or rather ONLY if the ORY-LYS that you are planning to ditch is the last segment on your itinerary (I can't figure out for your OP if you are talking of a return trip from X to LYS, or of the return portion of a trip which was from LYS to X) because if it is not, be aware that if you miss it, your subsequent flights will all be automatically cancel and the rest of your ticket voided!

In other words, if your ticket originate from LYS and ORY-LYS is your last flight back home, just fine. If your ticket was to LYS and you still have the return to take after that, absolutely do NOT do what you are planning to!!!!!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Errr... no! Or rather ONLY if the ORY-LYS that you are planning to ditch is the last segment on your itinerary (I can't figure out for your OP if you are talking of a return trip from X to LYS, or of the return portion of a trip which was from LYS to X) because if it is not, be aware that if you miss it, your subsequent flights will all be automatically cancel and the rest of your ticket voided!

In other words, if your ticket originate from LYS and ORY-LYS is your last flight back home, just fine. If your ticket was to LYS and you still have the return to take after that, absolutely do NOT do what you are planning to!!!!!
Haha...I'm not that much of a rookie. Yes, it's the last segment of our return flight. LYS is the end of the line for us.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by firecracker725
Haha...I'm not that much of a rookie. Yes, it's the last segment of our return flight. LYS is the end of the line for us.
Then you are good to go indeed!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:29 am

Some airlines do protect travelers on two separate tickets. E.g. UA as was discussed a few days back. Not sure about AF though.

Why don't you call and ask if there is an alternative?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by erik123
Some airlines do protect travelers on two separate tickets. E.g. UA as was discussed a few days back. Not sure about AF though.
AF explicitly don't like the immense majority of airlines. Are you sure about UA? To my knowledge, the only airline with an explicit policy of protection over separate reservations is AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.