Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Be careful you don't get Air France

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I've had pretty good luck flying AF. I live near IAD, which is a major destination for them, considering the diplomatic and international NGO traffic they handle.

The last TATL flight I took on AF was February, 2014, IAD-CDG-DUB. I got a 100,000 SkyMiles redemption for RT J (I came back on VS). J was less than 50% full. The aircraft was a 777-300 with the "angle flat" seat in J. Not as good as the DL or VS lie flat seats, but good enough. As I remember, there was a USB power port as well as a conventional power socket. Their AVOD is not as good as Delta, but since all I wanted to do was eat dinner and sleep, it didn't matter. The other negative is that they didn't serve a PDB (not even a small glass of champagne after the door closed but before push back, like I've seen on other AF flights).

The positives are: (1) at IAD check-in for J passengers is fast and easy; (2) their lounge is nice, directly across the concourse from their gates, and has more beverage options than the SkyClub (including drinkable French champagne), and some tasty snacks, such as a ham and butter sandwich on crusty bread which I really like; (3) the flight kitchen they use at IAD caters edible if not delicious meals; (4) the crew really likes to get back to France, so boarding at IAD seems to be expedited--they closed the door 15 minutes early and got permission to push back right away; (5) cocktails and dinner were served quickly--I think we were completely finished with dessert within an hour of departure, quite a bit sooner than VS's "express" meal service out of IAD; (6) if you like French firewater (a/k/a digestifs), Cognac, Armagnac and Calvados are served from full-sized bottles after dinner; and (7) the crew were professional and deferential. I also got a commemorative AF amenity kit celebrating "80 ans" as an airline. The most important thing, the flight was smooth and safe and landed 20 minutes early.

Different experience, still a lot of fun.

As far as intra-European flights, I have been on the Avro-85 (flown by CityJet, the plane used to be owned by Mesaba Airlines) as well as an A-319/320 (flown by AF); the middle seat is blocked off on their version of domestic F (same thing on KL's "Europe Select").

I was on an AF flight in December, 2014, CDG-BUD, where I was on a cheap Y ticket, but was seated in "Sky Priority" (row 11 on the 319), and the middle seat went out unassigned, so my accomodation was essentially the same as their "business" class. Regular Y (starting around row 14) was packed to the gunwales.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
I prefer flying Air France over DL when going to HKG. The new seats are much better. It is a bit weird that their 747 is all economy on the upper deck, but I see that more of a feature for frequent flyers who can only afford economy. The food is great and AF never really try to fill their business and first class so most of time there's no one sitting next to me. Also, I don't think I can find a DL flight to HKG for less than $3400 CDN during the summer months.
Where are you originating and what routings are you using to HKG? DL generally doesn't allow routing through Europe to Asia, especially not on award tickets, without essentially purchasing two tickets. I'm surprised that you thus can compare AF versus DL to HKG.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:57 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

The new home for this discussion is the Air France Frequence Plus forum, where this topic has been “cross-posted” — which is technically a violation of this rule on FlyerTalk:
Cross-Posting

Don't post your topic more than once. Duplicate threads or posts will be deleted, combined or locked. You may cross reference a post in another forum. For example, if you are questioning whether American Airlines or United Airlines may be the best fit for you, post the primary question in perhaps the American forum and then post a link to that thread in the United forum.
Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kapkap46
Words of a traveller that only travels in Europe. Anywhere in the rest of the world this is never done , not even on a Budget Airline.

Sorry for customers who have to travel all the time on sub standard First Class seats. By the way I have have travelled extensively in Europe the last 5 years but prefer Ryanair and EasyJet for their low fares and seats comparable to what I got on AF for First Class, Business or whatever. UGH!!
I have to agree with bubbashow on this one. Americans complaining about European business class not being business class because of the seating has just about as much meaning as Europeans complaining about US domestic "first class" travel not being first class because it does not normally give lounge access. These are different markets with different characteristics. Expecting one market to have the characteristics of another one is just reflective of one's own parochialism, whether it is in one direction or another.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by NickB
I have to agree with bubbashow on this one. Americans complaining about European business class not being business class because of the seating has just about as much meaning as Europeans complaining about US domestic "first class" travel not being first class because it does not normally give lounge access. These are different markets with different characteristics. Expecting one market to have the characteristics of another one is just reflective of one's own parochialism, whether it is in one direction or another.
As well, it isn't like another airline offers a better quality business class in Europe - it doesn't. A comparison is only useful if it shows that one service is notably better than another. Comparing AF service from CDG-FCO to DL service from JFK-ORD doesn't really help people and just frustrates you.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:47 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NickB
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:31 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat

Definitely an inferior product compared to DL. (Did I really say that)
A year ago, I would have disagreed with that comment, but after several JFK-CDG flights in both carriers in the last few months, in C, W, and Y, I agree that AF's service has declined a lot. Now I prefer DL100/400 and try to adjust my connecting flight schedules to avoid any AF flight on that route.

7. I figured French airline at least the food would be good . Wrong!

Salad was nothing but lettuce, no vegetables and no dressing except bottle of Balsamic. Shrimp Cocktail was served with some sort of mayo . Certainly not what I would expect.

Rolls brought out stone cold . Even UA heats their rolls.

I had the chicken as the Main dish. Only thing I could think of was how people refer to the Rubber Chicken circuit . Tough and no taste.

Desert was slightly better , 3 little squares and some sorbet all mediocre.

DL serves much better food in all courses IMHO.

Avoid Air France!
Agree as well. When departing from CDG, AF serves a very tasty meal (much better in quality than Delta's), but in terms of quantity, DL is far more generous. When departing from any other US location, DL food is consistently better than AF's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.