Traveling with 2 toddlers - 3 PE or 4 economy seats?

Old Apr 7, 15, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Traveling with 2 toddlers - 3 PE or 4 economy seats?

Looking to travel from SFO-BCN this fall. We will have our 4 year old and almost-2 year old with us. I'm trying to determine if I should get 3 premium economy seats and have our little guy be our "lap child," or if I should do 4 economy seats and bring on board his car seat. 3 PE seats would be $350 higher than the Voyager option.

Here are the pros/cons I've been listing out in my head:

PE Option (lap infant):
Pros: Roomier and better leg room, better amenities and service, extra baggage allowance
Cons: No car seat can equal no sleep, fixed armrests so we can't squeeze in and open up space for baby to sit, 2-4-2 configuration means we'll likely be sharing a row with an annoyed stranger

Economy Option (own seat):
Pros: Baby can sleep in car seat, family can take up an entire row which may be more comfortable, cheaper
Cons: Uncomfortable seats and legroom (husband is a frequent business class traveler (not with AF) so will be grumbling about having to sit in coach for such a long flight), less service.

For such a long flight, what would you guys recommend?
Old Apr 7, 15, 11:21 am

Programs: FB Plat for life
if your little kid is less than 10kg and 70cm he can have a small baby cradle at the front row of PE which would make a nice solution. But as he is getting close to 2y it might not work
Old Apr 7, 15, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
The cradle in PE could be a good solution as suggested by Pauillac, however if this does not work and I doubt that a two years old will lay quiet so long, then I would probably go for the 4 seats in Y. Removable armrests are quite nice if you have the whole row for yourself. Don't expect a better service in PE, it's Y food with Y service, you get however an amenity bag and leg space is indeed better than in Y.

You could also gamble and take 3 PE seats and hope for a cheap ugrade option to Biz when checking in, but you should not depend on this. I have no idea if SFO-CDG is easy for such (paid) upgrades.
Old Apr 7, 15, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Personaly, I would go for the 4 Y seats.
Old Apr 7, 15, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all! Yeah, kiddo won't likely fit (nor stay still) in a bassinet. Sounds like 4 Y seats is the best option.
Old Apr 9, 15, 7:10 pm

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM->PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
4 Y also gives you aisle access on both sides.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: