Community
Wiki Posts
Search

French ATC strikes April 8th & 9th

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:27 am
Suspended

How do labor dispute work in France? Can ATCs just get anything they want by going on strike? Something like: "Pay us €1,000,000 per year in salaries OR ELSE we go on strike indefinitely". I think they cannot be fired, so the employer has to give everything the ATCs want.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by Zembla
Okay. So. It seems that Wednesday the 8th 40% of flights must be cancelled. This is the official request to airlines by DGAC. That's pretty bad...
Does anybody know if CDG has a closing hour after which flights can't take off even in case of delays? My daughter 's flight is still scheduled on time for tomorrow late evening (after 23:00h). Let's cross fingers everything works fine ...
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by MarLim
Does anybody know if CDG has a closing hour after which flights can't take off even in case of delays? My daughter 's flight is still scheduled on time for tomorrow late evening (after 23:00h). Let's cross fingers everything works fine ...
Runways are open 24h but only to airlines with a night quota (AF is one of them). Terminal stays open until the last scheduled flight of the day has left.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Done
Thanks!!! ^
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
French ATC disruptions (09/04)
North: minimal service
East: minimal service
South-East: regulations to be applied
West: minimal service
South-West: minimal service

Airports disruptions (08/04 and 09/04)
CDG: regulations to be applied. More disruptions on 09/04.
ORY: minimal service
LYS: difficulties in the morning
BOD: difficulties. Might close during the night from 8th to 9th.
MRS: difficulties. Might close during the night from 8th to 9th.
TLS: difficulties. Might close during the night from 8th to 9th.

DGAC requests to airlines
From 08/04 0400Z to 09/04 0400Z:
- 40% of cancellations on CDG/ORY/BVA ;
- 40% of cancellations on LYS, MRS, BOD, TLD, NTE, NCE.
Flights from/to Corsica and DOM/TOM are excluded from the cancellations.

From 09/04 0400Z to 10/04 0400Z:
- 50% of cancellations on CDG/ORY/BVA ;
- 50% of cancellations on LYS, MRS, BOD, TLD, NTE, NCE.
Flights from/to Corsica and DOM/TOM are excluded from the cancellations.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Mokshu
Very nice to see you back!! ^ It has been a while and I'm sure many of us have been missing your excellent contributions!
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:13 pm

I still consider what Reagan did to ATC in the U.S. one of the high points of his presidency. The plague of niche unions of staff with vital functions and thus high leverage is really a curse upon Europe these days. Of course, those people are cutting off their nose to spite their face because why would anyone *choose* to do business in France in these conditions? I guess they expect the government to fund them forever..
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Just checked the AF site, but all there is is a memo from yesterday saying that they are still working on the flight program for today and tomorrow. Let's see if/when they put it on line.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Very nice to see you back!! ^ It has been a while and I'm sure many of us have been missing your excellent contributions!
+1

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I still consider what Reagan did to ATC in the U.S. one of the high points of his presidency. The plague of niche unions of staff with vital functions and thus high leverage is really a curse upon Europe these days. Of course, those people are cutting off their nose to spite their face because why would anyone *choose* to do business in France in these conditions? I guess they expect the government to fund them forever..
A couple of points:
  • In France, every union is a "niche" union in that it represents only a small fraction of employees. Degree of unionisation is actually much higher in the US than in France
  • The Reagan solution does indeed look "attractive" to many of us because it not only ensures ATC services but also "teaches them a lesson". I am not sure how good an advisor vengeance is for political action. In any case, it wouldn't happen, French politicians don't have that sort of balls (they do have it for other things, such as taking away the majority of what you earn in a year)
  • Personally, I am somewhat split on this. On the one hand, the right to strike is a fundamental right that should exist and be respected. However, I do believe that a public service like this should not go on strike. And I also believe that the objective of a strike in public sector - raising awareness for issues in the employees' lifes and industry - does not work. They do not hurt their employer by hitting the top line (like a strike of pilots at an airline does), the just make the traveling public angry at them
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
The fun begins (again) !

A representative of the Union was on one of the morning programmes and said they were primarily protesting a mandatory early retirement rule. This is a first: striking so they can work longer !
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
AF is cancelling 12/18 flights ORY to NCE on 8 April.
Good luck to those flying on the remaining ones.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Quick update

FIR/ATC disruptions (09/04)
North: ~30mins delay
East: ~60mins delay
South-East: ~30mins delay
West: ~90mins delay
South-West: ~140mins delay
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I really hope they are not running their "France is in the Air" campaign today!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I really hope they are not running their "France is in the Air" campaign today!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Mokshu
Quick update

FIR/ATC disruptions (09/04)
North: ~30mins delay
East: ~60mins delay
South-East: ~30mins delay
West: ~90mins delay
South-West: ~140mins delay
Quick question: I have a TLS-CDG on 9/4 followed by a long-haul flight from CDG.
With these delay estimates, does it mean that there's a high probability I'll miss my connection in CDG?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by GeoffreyFrance
Quick question: I have a TLS-CDG on 9/4 followed by a long-haul flight from CDG.
With these delay estimates, does it mean that there's a high probability I'll miss my connection in CDG?
Yes - unless you have an extremely long layover in CDG. But there is no guarantee that your TLS flight will even operate, they are still finalising the schedule for tomorrow (and even the revised schedule may be subject to further delays).

You can already log into "My Booking" and change the date of travel to the period 10-15 April free of charge. If you can delay your travel - though availability in this period is likely to have already been picked clean - you should change your flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.