Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waiting for luggage an hour or more "perfectly normal"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by speedbrds
Waiting an hour or longer for luggage is especially true if you were to fly an A380.

Just saying'
It's the norm in YYZ with AC.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speedbrds
Waiting an hour or longer for luggage is especially true if you were to fly an A380.

Just saying'
Yes but this is not an A380 it is a domestic flight taking approximately 75 minutes from Paris to Bordeaux
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AF people might be amused to know that partner DL has been doing an experiment to promise 2500 miles if a checked bag is delivered more than twenty minutes after the flight lands. The initial promo lasted almost six weeks, to the end of March, but today was extended to be apparently indefinite.
Delta Airlines is trying to match the service standards of Alaska Airlines who has offered a 20 minute baggage guarantee over the last few years.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Calchas
Duly corrected - still not good with that iphone thinggie!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ceieoc
Delta Airlines is trying to match the service standards of Alaska Airlines who has offered a 20 minute baggage guarantee over the last few years.
Alaska's 20 minute guarantee provides your choice of either 2,500 miles or $25 off your next flight, which is essentially a refund of your baggage fee. Delta's offer however, is only applicable on domestic flights.

but I digress. In regards to the OP: Quelle Horreur!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Dominikkk
How come?
I meant priority handling.

I don't know. this is what they told me when I enquired why my luggage came out almost last.

Not everyone knows this at AF : at CDG they keep adding the priority tag on luggage for domestic destinations.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Haven't checked in luggage for an AF international flight in almost a year or so.

Are they still as bad in making priority luggage come out first as in the past? I know for domestic they don't offer it, but for international they do promise it, and it still doesn't work.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Haven't checked in luggage for an AF international flight in almost a year or so.

Are they still as bad in making priority luggage come out first as in the past? I know for domestic they don't offer it, but for international they do promise it, and it still doesn't work.
Only airport i know of that does priority baggage consistently among the first is OSL, at CDG it depends on the mood of the handlers of the day, at 2G they've become better at getting it out quickly though.

I'm arriving with an A380 Sunday morning at CDG, i think i might have to wait a good bit
Old Apr 4, 2015, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond

Frankly, they have made a lot of progress on this and especially at CDG, but there is still room for improvement, especially in some outstations.
What they still need to improve dramatically at CDG is the timing of delivery of the bags from the arrival of the plane at the gate. In most cases, you have unacceptable times displayed on the screen like 30min or more at 2F to deliver the 1st bag (it's written on the screens : "delivery expected at hh:mm").

Originally Posted by joyu12
Only airport i know of that does priority baggage consistently among the first is OSL, at CDG it depends on the mood of the handlers of the day, at 2G they've become better at getting it out quickly though.

I'm arriving with an A380 Sunday morning at CDG, i think i might have to wait a good bit
Well...it depends. I was in OSL last december and my bag took forever to arrive (in the last batch)

And for A380 at CDG, sometimes you have very good surprises. Last week end, arriving in a packed-to-death A380 at M concourse (so very far from baggage claim), the bags started to be delivered 20 min after arrival, priority first. I had 2 bags to claim, including one oversized (delivered on a separate belt) and I was in my taxi 30 min after arrival ^ . So when they want...
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joyu12

Priority baggage is handled by the departing airport who load the aircraft in the right order

In Japan they will hold up the entire baggage delivery chain to ensure the bags arrive in the right order

But I cannot imagine any contractors within Europe having the time or the incentive to mess around like this
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Priority baggage is handled by the departing airport who load the aircraft in the right order

In Japan they will hold up the entire baggage delivery chain to ensure the bags arrive in the right order

But I cannot imagine any contractors within Europe having the time or the incentive to mess around like this
Hmm, sounds like an excuse that suits airlines that cannot get it right. Here's a benchmark number: at Frankfurt airport in 92% of arriving Lufthansa flights priority luggage came out first, at Munich it's 97%. Within very acceptable delivery times. Note that it's not only how the airline organises things themselves or with their outsourced ground handlers, but also the "technical" performance of the airport's baggage delivery system.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 3:45 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
I expected this thread would be about BRU were it's perfectly normal to wait one hour for your luggage. I can count the number of times where the wait was less than one hour on one hand.
When was your last trip to Brussels? In the past months, my bag typically comes out within 5 minutes of getting to the belt. In some cases, it's already there even before I get there.

And, with the opening of the Connector on March 26th, the walk from the plane is shorter, and still my bag was out within 5 minutes.

GenevaFlyer
Old Apr 5, 2015, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Hmm, sounds like an excuse that suits airlines that cannot get it right. Here's a benchmark number: at Frankfurt airport in 92% of arriving Lufthansa flights priority luggage came out first, at Munich it's 97%. Within very acceptable delivery times. Note that it's not only how the airline organises things themselves or with their outsourced ground handlers, but also the "technical" performance of the airport's baggage delivery system.
Is that "regular" priority or is there a specific one for HON?

I'm asking because my sense is that airlines do manage "super priority" rather well. For instance, I keep being told that people on AF P DO get their bag out first most of the time. Regular priority, however, is something that I have personally not found to be working well with any of the three majors (AF, BA, LH) o the few occasions when I check my luggage.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:55 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
When was your last trip to Brussels? In the past months, my bag typically comes out within 5 minutes of getting to the belt. In some cases, it's already there even before I get there.

And, with the opening of the Connector on March 26th, the walk from the plane is shorter, and still my bag was out within 5 minutes.

GenevaFlyer
This year one experience with SN where it indeed only took +/- 10 minutes but this was an exception. This was just before the connector opened. (the week before the opening) Also twice IB where it took around an hour and once United which was dramatic. I think closer to 1h30... :-(
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Is that "regular" priority or is there a specific one for HON?

I'm asking because my sense is that airlines do manage "super priority" rather well. For instance, I keep being told that people on AF P DO get their bag out first most of the time. Regular priority, however, is something that I have personally not found to be working well with any of the three majors (AF, BA, LH) o the few occasions when I check my luggage.
The numbers are not based on my own experience, but something communicated by LH in a newsletter. They were referring only to priority luggage. And the numbers were for their own hubs. On the few occasions on which I flew LH with luggage to CDG the luggage came out randomly. So I suppose it was properly loaded in FRA or MUC, and then messed up at CDG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.