FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   AF Lounge at FRA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1662048-af-lounge-fra.html)

FD1971 Mar 10, 2015 5:13 am

AF Lounge at FRA

Did not depart from FRA in ages on KL/AF, so I am trying to figure out whether it is worth it the leave the club lounge or steam room at the Sheraton early to spend some time at the AF lounge.

Is there any other Sky Team lounge close-by, which is worth a visit?

IIRC, the last time I actually used KL from FRA, they had a contract with the airport-operated lounge and Alitalia used the AA lounge. Those were the (Royal Wing) days...

Thanks a lot.

olivedel Mar 10, 2015 9:44 am

Originally Posted by FD1971 (Post 24483582)
Did not depart from FRA in ages on KL/AF, so I am trying to figure out whether it is worth it the leave the club lounge or steam room at the Sheraton early to spend some time at the AF lounge.

There is an AF-operated lounge at FRA, pretty large but nothing to write home about... Regular outstation snacks, and pretty mediocre wines.
FYI, there is a Wiki thread on lounges.

carnarvon Mar 10, 2015 9:44 am

Originally Posted by FD1971 (Post 24483582)
Did not depart from FRA in ages on KL/AF, so I am trying to figure out whether it is worth it the leave the club lounge or steam room at the Sheraton early to spend some time at the AF lounge.(...)

Standard clean and airy AF/Skyteam lounge. Nothing to write home about.

ajs123 Mar 10, 2015 3:13 pm

I beg to disagree with the previous two posters. I am very satisfied with the food offering in Frankfurt, it has improved a lot in the past year. For breakfast you have a large variety of fresh rolls and breads, selection of cheeses and cold cuts (that is far more diverse than you find in KL's Amsterdam Crown lounge), fresh fruit salad, nutella, and yogurts. Available are also Frankfurters! The desserts variety has changed from packaged ones to apple tarts, chocolate pies and various types of muffins. For lunch (from around 11am) you get individual servings of salad, various types of mini pizzas, cooked vegetables (very tasty), soup and hot bite sized snacks (a recent addition were wraps). Although I fly out of FRA once a week on average, I have no experience with their evening food selection. I am also unable to comment on the wines (no champagne, just a french sparkling wine). The selection of newspaper and magazines is very good too. The major downside of the lounge is that it does not have any restrooms but that is also that's the case of the adjacent Iberia lounge.

Goldorak Mar 10, 2015 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by ajs123 (Post 24486698)
I beg to disagree with the previous two posters. I am very satisfied with the food offering in Frankfurt, it has improved a lot in the past year. For breakfast you have a large variety of fresh rolls and breads, selection of cheeses and cold cuts (that is far more diverse than you find in KL's Amsterdam Crown lounge), fresh fruit salad, nutella, and yogurts. Available are also Frankfurters! The desserts variety has changed from packaged ones to apple tarts, chocolate pies and various types of muffins. For lunch (from around 11am) you get individual servings of salad, various types of mini pizzas, cooked vegetables (very tasty), soup and hot bite sized snacks (a recent addition were wraps). Although I fly out of FRA once a week on average, I have no experience with their evening food selection. I am also unable to comment on the wines (no champagne, just a french sparkling wine). The selection of newspaper and magazines is very good too. The major downside of the lounge is that it does not have any restrooms but that is also that's the case of the adjacent Iberia lounge.

Good to know ^ It seems that they have put in place the same kind of (good) offering as in CDG 2F lounges.

orbitmic Mar 10, 2015 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 24486944)
Good to know ^ It seems that they have put in place the same kind of (good) offering as in CDG 2F lounges.

Indeed, I'll admit to being very surprised! I have indeed not been for over a year but before it was a pretty measly offering!

I'll admit to being a bit puzzled about the "whole picture" too! On the one hand, it seems that AF are putting a lot of effort to make the FRA significantly better and introduce some of their best offering of any own European outstation; on the other hand, on the flight from Paris, you get to use the 2G barracks and patio nonsense (at least when it will reopen)? Talk about product consistency!! :rolleyes:

KLouis Mar 10, 2015 8:45 pm

...Available are also Frankfurters! ...

Canibalism in FRA! How come this has not been picked up yet by a tabloid?

ajs123 Mar 10, 2015 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 24488159)
Canibalism in FRA! How come this has not been picked up yet by a tabloid?

:D:D Pity the AF lounge in Berlin did not (the last time I was there is now three years ago) offer any Berliners ;)

FD1971 Mar 11, 2015 3:02 am

Thanks for the input.

After the first two posts, I started calculating whether it is enough to leave the hotel 45 minutes prior to departure, but now I love to sample the improved AF lounge. After too many years on the roof at DUS (including a track up there) with 'fresh' Soletti, I was happy that they closed the place (cost saving program do come with benefits for the customer...)and started inviting people to the new and improved Hugo Junkers Lounge.

I became enthusiastic again, until I reached the closed doors of the lounge at CGN, which is not open for the early KLM departure on weekends...

ok986 Mar 11, 2015 3:16 am

selection of cheeses and cold cuts (that is far more diverse than you find in KL's Amsterdam Crown lounge)

Crown lounge is not that high a bar to clear to start with...

GenevaFlyer Mar 11, 2015 4:20 am

Hi,

In terms of evening offerings, which start +/- 17:00, the hot food is typically a stew or pasta sauce, with rice or pasta, and a vegetable dish. There's normally also salad available.

Timings do vary a bit, so with the 17:55 KLM flight, you could be leaving just to early to catch the bus to the remote parking stand.

GenevaFlyer

FD1971 Mar 11, 2015 8:37 am

Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer (Post 24489217)

Timings do vary a bit, so with the 17:55 KLM flight, you could be leaving just to early to catch the bus to the remote parking stand.

GenevaFlyer

Is it always a bus gate for both the Jungle Jet and the Fokker? Thanks!

nicolas75 Mar 11, 2015 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by ajs123 (Post 24488510)
:D:D Pity the AF lounge in Berlin did not (the last time I was there is now three years ago) offer any Berliners ;)

Actually it does (not very visible though: at the end of the food corner).

aufmatt Mar 11, 2015 6:53 pm

The AF/KL lounge is there, for sure. But if one is used to the Senator lounges at FRA, this is rather disappointing. It is large, indeed. And the seats are comfortable. Better than your average Servisair lounge in the UK, for sure! But please, food-wise it is a disaster! (For German standards) When I last visited, the warden did not speak German, Dutch, or French. which is kinda weird given the setting. Then again, his English sucked too...

Goldorak Mar 12, 2015 12:51 am

Originally Posted by aufmatt (Post 24493259)
The AF/KL lounge is there, for sure. But if one is used to the Senator lounges at FRA, this is rather disappointing.

Yes, but you are comparing apples & oranges. FRA being the main hub of LH, for sure their have their flagship lounge(s) there. Same for AF@CDG or BA@LHR who have better lounges than other airlines.