Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF77 PPT - CDG (with 2-hour re-fueling stop in LAX)...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: FB plf; IB oro; LA black
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
Sorry but I don't speak fluent French.. So this report in French provides little help.... though the pictures show he went out to the check in area of TBIT. so I guess he had to clear the immigration (i.e. get his passport stamped?) to get out of airside to reach landside of check in area? Why does USA make you enter US even if your final destination is france?

I don't have any clue in terms of how the checked luggage is handled from the report..... can you shed some light about it?
I thought the pictures were quite "speaking"
All U have to do is follow the signs pass immigration and TSA (no customs).
I also thought it was illustrating the precedent post."this file"
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by B7e7US
No. Under normal circumstances you have to claim your bag, clear customs, and then re-check it at the baggage re-check desk right after you go through customs, no need to go to the check-in counter. If, upon arrival, AF ground staff advises you differently, then consider it a bonus.
This is absolutely not true!!! The "trip reporter" mentioned in one of the early answers in this thread wrote:

Il y a peu de monde et je passe vite. Aprčs cela il n’y a pas de douanes ŕ passer (plus de fiche bleue ŕ remplir) et on se dirige vers un passage marqué par un personnel AF tenant un panneau Paris CDG

which in plain English means:

There are few people and I pass quickly. After that there are no customs to pass (no more blue form to fill) and one goes towards a passage marked by AF staff holding a Paris CDG sign

I guess, the only hassle would be a long wait at immigration, something common when entering the US, although the "trip reporter" went through very fast. Time of that daY?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NickB
IIRC, YVR allows for the bypassing of Canadian immigration (at any rate for US-bound pax, although I am not sure whether this is true for all international connnections). However, I would expect the economics of a PPT-YVR-CDG route to be worse than PPT-LAX-CDG.
True. There is no Canadian immigration for CX's HKG-JFK vv passengers that take the flight with the YVR stop. So I don't see anything to be different if AF ever opts to do CDG-PPT via YVR. Not that I'm expecting them to do that anytime soon.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'm also a bit surprised. Sadly never been to PPT but with NZ you definitely do not need to collect/recheck luggage at all when continuing on the same flight (NZ 1 or 2).
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/conne...at-los-angeles (towards middle of the page "changes to..." although that part has not changed)
Pitiful that NZ axed the AKL-HKG-LHR route, forcing those wanting the "direct" flight to have to suck it up with the US nonsensical formalities. It "hardly" feels like a direct flight to be honest.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by KLouis
I guess, the only hassle would be a long wait at immigration, something common when entering the US, although the "trip reporter" went through very fast. Time of that daY?
You are right but I do not think that AF would leave without you.
I do not really see the point of USA making you go through immigration, besides the fact that US airports are just not physically designed to handle pure international connections.
For matters of safety, they could definitely make you clear security without immigration clearance.

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Note that some EU countries also require transit visas for some citizenships when transiting between 2 international flights. We are in a complicated world
Indeed, but how do immigration services check that you really have that transit visa, besides when checks are made at the end of the jet bridge, like they do sometimes at CDG?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by olivedel

Indeed, but how do immigration services check that you really have that transit visa, besides when checks are made at the end of the jet bridge, like they do sometimes at CDG?
To be honest it usually won't come to that as airlines check credentials carefully for flights into countries (including European) with strict visa regimes. If you would require a visa even to transit and do not have one, you simply won't be allowed to fly in the first place...
Old Feb 17, 2015, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Well, I guess that if they cannot see in their systems that you have all the relevant visas required for your proposed journey [and in many cases the issuing of a visa is shared electronically - indeed, sometimes it only exists electronically - with relevant authorities, including airlines who must determine that the passenger is unlikely to be refused entry or further progress at any stage of the journey for which they are responsible for carriage] then they will ask you to provide documentary proof.

Any airline can determine at check-in whether an ESTA has been issued; most other forms of US visa should be documented in the passport itself. So determining who is eligible to "transfer" in the US should be relatively straightforward for anyone who needs to know this information. I presume the issuing of a transit visa for CDG, for instance, can also be verified electronically by anyone that would reasonably need to know this information in the course of their normal work (airlines, other immigration agencies, etc).
Old Feb 17, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
To be honest it usually won't come to that as airlines check credentials carefully for flights into countries (including European) with strict visa regimes. If you would require a visa even to transit and do not have one, you simply won't be allowed to fly in the first place...
Fair point.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I do not really see the point of USA making you go through immigration, besides the fact that US airports are just not physically designed to handle pure international connections.
But that's a sufficient reason ! Because you are mixed with departing pax, including for US domestic flights. There is no pure international departure areas in the US because there is no immigration/passport control on departure.

For matters of safety, they could definitely make you clear security without immigration clearance.
Of course, but as said previously, you are mixed with departing pax for intl or domestic flights and so, technically, you are on the US soil (hence immigration control)
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Of course, but as said previously, you are mixed with departing pax for intl or domestic flights and so, technically, you are on the US soil (hence immigration control)
Indeed and you can always walk out freely from departure areas at US airports so you could completely bypass immigration controls and enter the US.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
My reply was based on the arrival procedures for another airline, and continuing on a different flight on the same airline but not the same airplane. What I described is the process "under normal circumstances" and I also mentioned that it is a bonus if the passengers don't have to claim their bags and re-check them.

I'm very sorry if my information was mistaken.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP IHG Diamond Marriott Gold Hilton Diamond
AF77 Covid

Any idea how the transit in LAX will be handled now? It is possible to book award tickets and purchase tickets from PPT to CDG via LAX. Would someone with a EU passport be allowed to pass through LAX given that it is not sterile? TN is routing via YVR, but it looks like AF continues LAX transit.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by worldtraveler303
Any idea how the transit in LAX will be handled now? It is possible to book award tickets and purchase tickets from PPT to CDG via LAX. Would someone with a EU passport be allowed to pass through LAX given that it is not sterile? TN is routing via YVR, but it looks like AF continues LAX transit.
AF is also via YVR for August. But we can expect it will continue.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...t=Air%20France
TN seems also to continue CDG via YVR, but is re-starting PPT-LAX sector in September (without continuation to CDG)
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...t=Air%20Tahiti
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:37 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
friends did the flight via YVR a week or 2 ago, there was no deplaning. 21 hours in the plane
Old Aug 8, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by yno
friends did the flight via YVR a week or 2 ago, there was no deplaning. 21 hours in the plane
wow! I would hope the catering is okay for such a long period on board
Old Aug 8, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Originally Posted by yno
Any info about the service in business class long haul recently? (catering specifically)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.